Value of: Charlie McAvoy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
What timeline are you using for this part of the statement? A year? Last 3 years? Currently?

It's worth a debate and I get his offense has vastly improved the last 2 years, curious your top 5 list then?

I think there is a pretty good list of top D after Makar fighting for position. He hasn’t been top 5 this season, but has been other seasons.

I think relatively speaking that it’s a strong #1D group at the high end relative to history and it’s a deep #1C group relative to history after McDavid. Like there are a lot of #1Cs you could have and feel like you can win a Cup with him.

I think you ideally (but many ways to skin a cat) want one of those top 10 D and one of those top 15-20 centers to bring home the hardware. Moving one for the other doesn’t really make sense unless you have a surplus or other big moves lined up.

Like could McAvoy and Swayman out and Drai and Hanifin coming in with some three way nonsense maybe make sense? I dunno. Sounds like chaos. But it’s the only thing that comes to mind.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I think there is a pretty good list of top D after Makar fighting for position. He hasn’t been top 5 this season, but has been other seasons.

I think relatively speaking that it’s a strong #1D group at the high end relative to history and it’s a deep #1C group relative to history after McDavid. Like there are a lot of #1Cs you could have and feel like you can win a Cup with him.

I think you ideally (but many ways to skin a cat) want one of those top 10 D and one of those top 15-20 centers to bring home the hardware. Moving one for the other doesn’t really make sense unless you have a surplus or other big moves lined up.

Like could McAvoy and Swayman out and Drai and Hanifin coming in with some three way nonsense maybe make sense? I dunno. Sounds like chaos. But it’s the only thing that comes to mind.

Barkov is having a elite season right now so I get McAvoy has been flirting with top 10 D for last few years but I still lean hard towards Barkov having a tier above in value over him.

Barkov is back to playing Bergeron type defense vs top competition and supplying PPG+ production on offense.
His line has best goal differential in league 5 on 5.

Pacing 27 goals and 94 pts with Evan Rodrigues (arguably a really good 3rd liner//average 2nd liner) and Reinhart (who was a 65ish pt player) who's pacing another 30+ goal, 80+ pt season.

I think McAvoy is a top 30-40 player and Barkov is a top 15 player in the league.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Leafs would offer Marner + Lilly

I’m sure Boston fans will be offended but I don’t know how much more any other team could offer beyond that

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Barkov is having a elite season right now so I get McAvoy has been flirting with top 10 D for last few years but I still lean hard towards Barkov having a tier above in value over him.

Barkov is back to playing Bergeron type defense vs top competition and supplying PPG+ production on offense.

Pacing 27 goals and 94 pts with Evan Rodrigues (arguably a really good 3rd liner//average 2nd liner) and Reinhart (who was a 65ish pt player) who's pacing another 30+ goal, 80+ pt season.

I think McAvoy is a top 30-40 player and Barkov is a top 15 player in the league.
I rate both as higher.
Also very tough call, in a vacuum Bark is worth a bit more but w/high end RD even more scarce than quality pivots, it is close to pick 'em.

@TheImpatientPanther congrats to FL on great game vs Rangers last nite, both teams deserved it, it was Panthers turn to prevail. Enjoy, best and HNY from bern.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

Bruins should not make that trade, defenseman, like McAvoy, are hard to replace, and that is not a knock-on Barkov, great player.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I rate both as higher.
Also very tough call, in a vacuum Bark is worth a bit more but w/high end RD even more scarce than quality pivots, it is close to pick 'em.

@TheImpatientPanther congrats to FL on great game vs Rangers last nite, both teams deserved it, it was Panthers turn to prevail. Enjoy, best and HNY from bern.

Appreciate it Bern, you as well, all the best in 2024.

Bruins should not make that trade, defenseman, like McAvoy, are hard to replace, and that is not a knock-on Barkov, great player.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion(s).
Not sure most have been paying attention to Barkov this year and how dominant he's been.
Not a slight on McAvoy but he's not worth Barkov in 1 for 1 trade.

Reactions: bernmeister

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Not sure most have been paying attention to Barkov this year and how dominant he's been.

I don’t think either team makes the deal. I don’t think GMs are like fans where 30 odd games drastically changes a players value. Regardless, for both teams it’s a robbing Peter to pay Paul kind of deal that makes both teams worse.

Last edited:

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

Not slighting Barkov, and we can dispute on who is better, and you might have the consensus choice, but I just believe d-man like McAvoy are more valuable, see Toronto and Edmonton.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Does he return a #1 C or a #1 winger?
Lousy curious.? Simple as that.
To get him it going to take a re-signed Draisaitl type of #1C. Plus the #1C they need to be signed at a reasonable deal. So Draisaitl at 14 million wouldn't work. Draisaitl at 10 to 11 might something Boston would consider. Then there the loyalty factor players has to a team that draft him , at least most of the time.

Reactions: wintersej

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad