Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy VI re-signed, 8 yrs @ 9.5 aav

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Worst game of the season last night for Chuck. Second time he shoots the puck and then it ends up in the back of our net. People said pasta needed to be covering there, sure but you can’t miss or have your short blocked in that situation. Shorty is all on him and the 2nd goal against the Flyers is as well.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I remember Ray Bourque making some bad mistakes in his day. It happens to the best. If we went through game footage we'd find the same thing with Orr, Potvin, Lidstrom etc. Charlie is a great defenseman whose best years are yet to come. At times he tries to do too much and sometimes it backfires on him but that is part of the learning curve. As was said, he just hit 200 NHL games. I'd like to see him develop his shot a bit more, and calm down a little, but other than that, no complaints.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
I remember Ray Bourque making some bad mistakes in his day. It happens to the best. If we went through game footage we'd find the same thing with Orr, Potvin, Lidstrom etc. Charlie is a great defenseman whose best years are yet to come. At times he tries to do too much and sometimes it backfires on him but that is part of the learning curve. As was said, he just hit 200 NHL games. I'd like to see him develop his shot a bit more, and calm down a little, but other than that, no complaints.
Agreed. I should take it easy on him for sure, I just hate saying the same thing play out two games in a row like groundhogs day.

Reactions: Dr Hook

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Worst game of the season last night for Chuck. Second time he shoots the puck and then it ends up in the back of our net. People said pasta needed to be covering there, sure but you can’t miss or have your short blocked in that situation. Shorty is all on him and the 2nd goal against the Flyers is as well.
yep, has some riverboat gambler in him and at times, still shows his youth, still love the kid though

Reactions: Bodit9

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
I'd give him 8/64 and not think about it for a second. I honestly think you could be light on that, but we'll see. I guess the question is whether the alternative is acceptable to you? Personally, I think they're ****** if they let him go/trade him. You magically were able to replace your franchise defenseman. How confident are you that they can do it again?

Here's another thought as to the hockey IQ question: the advanced metrics (yes, I know how people feel about them) show that he's been one of the best defensive defenseman in the league the last few years playing tough competition. And I know how you felt about Chara the last few years, Lou, so I don't want to hear the "it was all Chara" excuse. McAvoy isn't some massive dude who can solely rely on his size and reach. It's largely about positioning in today's game, which I feel is all about hockey IQ, so I have a tough time calling him dumb when that's the case.

I don't think any Bruins are off limits for criticism, other than maybe Bergeron. You're right, he's got too many giveaways, but I think everything else about his game outweighs that. I don't think the turnovers are enough to say he's not a #1 franchise defenseman.

so 8 per for Mac and 10+ for pasta going to be tough.

also to be clear I think he’s an nhl #1 defenseman, but I need to see more for that mega deal.

I like advanced metrics, but again 56 pct or whatever ozone starts skews that kind of stuff IMO.

will be interesting to see if they play hardball w him or not

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
He just hit the 200 game mark as a defenseman. He’s only 23 years old. He’s overly aggressive at times and being asked to bring along rookies, even when he’s a young player himself.

He’s playing 25 minutes a night with rookies, producing at 0.76 PPG pace (over an 82 game season, 10-50A is his projection).

McAvoy is a very smart player. You need to be to play defense and produce like he has. He’s young. Mistakes will happen. This new IQ narrative shouldn’t grow legs.

He tries to do too much sometimes & that can burn him.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Agreed. I should take it easy on him for sure, I just hate saying the same thing play out two games in a row like groundhogs day.

My post wasn't aimed at you- It's okay to call out a bad play that turns a game. He's still growing. He is the same age as my daughter. I was looking through the roster last night and started realizing that a whole bunch of that team is that age or younger. Then I remember that number of these guys are in the age range of many of my students. And then a lightbulb goes off because they are acting their age out there for the most part. Making some mistakes, getting a little too excitable at times and cutting corners on the details, that sort of thing. It's age appropriate stuff we are seeing from McAvoy, Frederic, Studnicka, Urho, Zboril, Lauzon et al.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
he makes dumb plays, consistently. He’s also awesome.

are we at the point here where bruins are off limits for criticism?

you giving him 8-64 on his next deal?

8/80 is what his market value will be 1.5 seasons from now on his next deal.

I offer him 8/64 this summer and prays he bites and doesn't want to go through a RFA negotitation a year later.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
yep, also more understandable in a year where Z is no longer by his side, likely feels like he`s got to be the one carrying the play

I've liked his game unshackled by Chara. Jack made a comment last night how Charlie is rushing the puck more and stepping into the play this season as compared to last year and he framed it as a sign of growth. Come on, Jack. He couldn't do that last year, or the year before, because if the puck came back out at speed, Zee was up shit creek.

Last edited:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
yep, also more understandable in a year where Z is no longer by his side, likely feels like he`s got to be the one carrying the play

Hes been better this year without Chara and not having to cover for the slowest player in the league.

Last night was an anomoly. The team was coming off the Tahoe thing and half the blue line being out and Halak not coming close to stopping anything had an effect. Its fine that down 2 goals the wheels came off for a period we aren't going to have many games like that this year and games like that do happen.

Reactions: Dr Hook

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
10 mil per for him?

If he puts up 70 points next year thats his market value. Hes trending towards it.

Offer sheets don't happen anymore but he could be the guy that makes one come about.

He'll be a far better player at that point than Hamilton was when he forced his way out.

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
He tries to do too much sometimes & that can burn him.

And I recall many saying the same thing about David Pastrnak just before he broke through. Special players will try and be special players, it’s in their DNA and McAvoy is absolutely a special player. He’s young, still learning on the fly and yet remains one of the statistical best defensemen in the NHL.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
If he puts up 70 points next year thats his market value. Hes trending towards it.

Offer sheets don't happen anymore but he could be the guy that makes one come about.

He'll be a far better player at that point than Hamilton was when he forced his way out.

his salary next year is 7.3 mil so that means his qualifier is what 8 mil? Would need Dom for this stuff hahah

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
so 8 per for Mac and 10+ for pasta going to be tough.

also to be clear I think he’s an nhl #1 defenseman, but I need to see more for that mega deal.

I like advanced metrics, but again 56 pct or whatever ozone starts skews that kind of stuff IMO.

will be interesting to see if they play hardball w him or not

You'd have to feel that $8 mil p.a. is around the mark. If you exclude the ridiculously overpaid Karlsson and Doughty then you have the likes of Josi, Pietrangelo, OEL, Carlson, Trouba, Chabot, Hedman and Burns all in the $8-9 mil p.a. range. Those guys who are the next step down tend to be at 6s and 7s. But then of course it depends on the player - Hedman could easily have pushed for more than he's getting, probably Carlson too. Personally on current trends I'd place McAvoy in the back half of that top group rather than the front half of the next one, if that makes sense. He's clearly making that jump from very good up to the franchise D-men category, I just don't think he's going to be quite up at the very pointy end of that bunch with those guys like Hedman who even in the rarefied air of pro-sports can do things that put them head and shoulders above the rest.

Put that together and factor in a market and cap that's likely to stay pretty flat for awhile, and a long-term deal with an average of $8 mil p.a. certainly feels in the ballpark.

Reactions: LouJersey

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
You'd have to feel that $8 mil p.a. is around the mark. If you exclude the ridiculously overpaid Karlsson and Doughty then you have the likes of Josi, Pietrangelo, OEL, Carlson, Trouba, Chabot, Hedman and Burns all in the $8-9 mil p.a. range. Those guys who are the next step down tend to be at 6s and 7s. But then of course it depends on the player - Hedman could easily have pushed for more than he's getting, probably Carlson too. Personally on current trends I'd place McAvoy in the back half of that top group rather than the front half of the next one, if that makes sense. He's clearly making that jump from very good up to the franchise D-men category, I just don't think he's going to be quite up at the very pointy end of that bunch with those guys like Hedman who even in the rarefied air of pro-sports can do things that put them head and shoulders above the rest.

Put that together and factor in a market and cap that's likely to stay pretty flat for awhile, and a long-term deal with an average of $8 mil p.a. certainly feels in the ballpark.
When you talk about contracts you have to look at what the salary cap was set to to get a good idea of what a player should get. Using Hedman as the example, he signed his current contract back in 2017 when the salary cap was 75 mil that season. At his cap hit he used up 10.5 percent of it the cap space. Now for some of the others you mentioned, Pietrangelo 10.8%, Josi 14%, OEL 10.1%, Carlson 10%, Trouba 10%, Chabot 10%, and Burns 10.7%. Now out of that group only Hedman and Carlson has more points than McAvoy right now. That makes me think he will get about 10.5% of the cap. If the cap stays the same that would be 8.5 mil a season. Now for the 2 overpaid, Karlsson is at 14.1% and Doughty was at 13.4%. So you could probably add Josi to the overpaid list.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

I wouldn't trade him for any of those guys right now when you factor in age and upside.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
You f***ing kidding me Trouba is better than him? Is that serious? Thats pathetic how can anyone call themselves a Bruins fan and say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad