Player Discussion: Charlie Elick, 2nd round pick 2024 draft

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
So I was hoping for Ilya Nabokov here but I think we did very well in round 2 snagging a goalie with very good stats for junior, and Elick. We haven’t done well in the past with defensive D-men in round 2, but a lot of those guys that didn’t pan out had skating issues.

Anyways, Elick is the perfect example of why you don’t draft Silayev in the top 5. They’re both smooth skating + pure defense. Elick may not have the pedigree that Silayev has, but I know I’d sure as shit rather have Lindstrom+Elick than Silayev+whoever else.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
From this I really like his quick outlet passing. Even on the hit highlights there are a few good instances of him following up by moving the puck to the right area quickly. That's more important in his role than whether he scores points.
Making a quick decision with puck is probably the correct play in most situations but if you're not consistent with execution, then you need to start thinking about improving your vision and passing skills, and/or improving puck protection and carrying skills under pressure to minimize turnover rates in the future.

Elick seems to be erratic with puck on his stick but he also has his moments. I think he's pretty confident carrying pucks when he has and succeeds to create space for himself, his puck reception looks good in the offensive zone and he can get it on net hard and quickly, it's not like he's constantly having these hot potato handling moments like we used to see with Peeke.

But giving first passes in the D zone while he feels pressured is where he usually seems to struggle, at least based on this game tape. Sometimes there could've been a better outcome if he trusted his mobility and reach to get past the first layer of forecheck by holding on to puck for a little longer.

0:42
1:39
2:40
4:39
5:28
7:06
9:20
18:40
20:25

I liked his puck play performance in this game better. Some great rushes and offensive activation here and there.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Making a quick decision with puck is probably the correct play in most situations but if you're not consistent with execution, then you need to start thinking about improving your vision and passing skills, and/or improving puck protection and carrying skills under pressure to minimize turnover rates in the future.

Elick seems to be erratic with puck on his stick but he also has his moments. I think he's pretty confident carrying pucks when he has and succeeds to create space for himself, his puck reception looks good in the offensive zone and he can get it on net hard and quickly, it's not like he's constantly having these hot potato handling moments like we used to see with Peeke.

But giving first passes in the D zone while he feels pressured is where he usually seems to struggle, at least based on this game tape. Sometimes there could've been a better outcome if he trusted his mobility and reach to get past the first layer of forecheck by holding on to puck for a little longer.

0:42
1:39
2:40
4:39
5:28
7:06
9:20
18:40
20:25

I liked his puck play performance in this game better. Some great rushes and offensive activation here and there.

The good news is much of this can improve with time, experience and coaching. His basic foundation seems solid and i love guys that can skate and defend first. I feel that's a harder nuance to learn... the defense side. Really like this pick, and the other darts they threw towards the defense

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
The good news is much of this can improve with time, experience and coaching. His basic foundation seems solid and i love guys that can skate and defend first.
Sure, and I don't think he's a hopeless case in this regard either. But in order to develop he will need more opportunities to retrieve pucks from his own end and get reps that way, I just don't know what kind of a role he will have next year in Brandon. Last year he wasn't playing on either PP unit, it seems PP time for defensemen was mostly split between 2004-borns Maliavin and Shipley (who would be overagers next year, so I wonder if either will return for 2024-25), and 2005-born Mantei. I'd imagine PP's are one of the best situations for young dmen to hone their vision, passing, deception and overall puck skills.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2