Player Discussion Charlie Coyle - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
I would beyond shock if it’s more than 5 million unless he has a even better postseason than last year

Has only scored 20 goals once in his career

Career high is 56 points 4 years ago

Has only scored more than 40 points in 2/7 seasons

Has played in a Top 6 role in Minnesota and didn’t put up big numbers usually after 8 years in the league you are what you are “Marchand being one of the only exceptions”

Coyle is what he is a elite 3C and a okay Top 6 player

the eye test says he’s a 6 million player but his 8 year sample says he’s a 3.75-5 million dollar player

he’s currently on pace for
17 Goals
30 Assists
47 Points

He averages per 82 over his career

15 Goals
26 Assists
41 Points

He averages per 82 over his career playoffs
19 Goals
18 Assists
37 Points

I love Coyle but you can’t give him 6 million dollars for 15 Goals and 40 points that is 25+G 60+ points money

that being said I really hope we sign him I think a nice 5x4.75 is a nice deal for everyone

Mojo, Bozak, Perron salary range all recent UFAs who signed for between 4-5 million and all 3 players with much better offensive numbers than Coyle in there careers at time of UFA Status

Coyle gets a 1.5 million dollar raise and gets to stay in his hometown with a stable organization, roster, and coaching staff who use him well

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Going back to start of last year playoffs

Coyle 48 GP 15 G

26 goal pace per 82 GP

playing the George Harrison role

I did count the Montreal disallowed goal since in my judgement it was a goal

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
It's just dishonest math. Here he is buried in the lineup, and his agent will be able to make a great case for it. The longer he gets in our top 6 the more obvious it will become.
“Dishonest math” is the new “Fake news!”.

The numbers are what they are.

Though I do like the “he’s been buried in the line up” response to his career numbers :laugh:

He’s been his best at center regardless of the numbers IMO and they should have resigned him months ago (maybe they still project Kuraly in that third line center told in the future?)

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
This is a top 6 player, period. His agent can find him a top 6 C job in at least 1/4 of the NHL for 6m. So it's just about does he want to take his career to the next level, or be a Bruin, or both? If I'm him I want a true top 6 job and salary. And maybe by giving him the salary, Sweeney can explain that the job is just around the corner.

We were here not very long ago with Seguin. We didn't pull that logic off too well either. I'm not suggesting to you this player is Seguin. But in many ways his more complete game is a better fit. Let's not do this same dance again. We need the talent down the middle.

Reactions: DKH

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
There aren't too many players that are much more of a Bruce Cassidy system player than Coyle. DS found an almost perfect fit for the price when he brought Coyle over to the Bs. I have no idea what the lines will look like heading into the playoffs, but I would be very comfortable with Coyle centering a third line with Heinen and Bjork. If Bjork and Heinen can get a little more offense generated, that line will be a superb third line that will be tough to deal with in all three zones. Coyle is an important sign when it comes to the future, and I think given the wizardry of DS in terms of contract negotiations he will make it happen as long as Coyle really wants to stay with a winning organization with a great culture.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
It seems to me Coyle might just be a late bloomer who needed a change of scenery in order to come into his own. His game has really taken off since he joined the Bruins. Some players find it too pressure packed to play for their home town team. Others thrive on being close to family & friends. Coyle apparently is the latter so it is possible he might take a little less to stay here a little longer. There is no doubt in my mind that Sweeney needs to keep him here, Coyle has made himself an important key to the team's success.

Reactions: missingchicklet

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I'd love it if he WERE a late bloomer. I think they really need to seriously sign him. At some point the Bruins are going to have to accept that life without Bergy is looking more and more likely these days. Look at what happened in Detroit with Datsyuk and whatshisname, their other center/captain.......i'm too lazy to look up his name

They didn't replace those two, and now they're in oblivion as a result. Coyle isn't perfect but as far as centers go he's an absolute stabilizing force, which this team will need once the Old Guard start waving goodbye, starting with Chara probably..

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
It seems to me Coyle might just be a late bloomer who needed a change of scenery in order to come into his own. His game has really taken off since he joined the Bruins. Some players find it too pressure packed to play for their home town team. Others thrive on being close to family & friends. Coyle apparently is the latter so it is possible he might take a little less to stay here a little longer. There is no doubt in my mind that Sweeney needs to keep him here, Coyle has made himself an important key to the team's success.

I don't even buy the late bloomer thing. With Koivu and Grandland down the middle the Wild had a similar situation if and when they dressed Coyle at C. He's always been the 3rd most senior C on a given team.

If Kuraly wants a 3C job on an nhl team, he can have it any time. If Coyle wants the 2C, it's the same. Deep teams is a nice problem to have. This trade really bailed out DS down the middle. He almost has to pay any price now.

Reactions: The National

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Signing this early in the cycle doesn't really lend itself to a discount. But I'll be both happy and relieved if that's what happens. Truth is I know nothing about Charlie. If he absolutely loves being here he could totally do the team a solid.

Today I learned he's cousins with Tony Amonte.

Reactions: BMC

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Signing this early in the cycle doesn't really lend itself to a discount. But I'll be both happy and relieved if that's what happens. Truth is I know nothing about Charlie. If he absolutely loves being here he could totally do the team a solid.

Today I learned he's cousins with Tony Amonte.

Amontes, Coyles, Careys, Kings, they're all related. That's hockey on the South Shore.

Reactions: Lo97
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad