Boston Globe CHAD FINN - NESN360 app customers too often get more glitches than pitches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
After receiving a deluge of complaints on social media and via email, I reached out to a NESN spokesperson to ask if there was an explanation for what was happening.

This was the response: “We experienced hardware issues that affected some of our viewers. We apologize to our viewers that were impacted as we strive to ensure the best viewing experience for our fans.”

I shared this on social media and to those who had emailed. A few NESN viewers replied that this is the boilerplate answer that they get — specifically the part about ensuring “the best viewing experience for our fans” — whenever they have reached out to the network with a complaint.

So I reached out again, requesting a more detailed explanation of what went wrong, and noting that I was hearing from a lot of angry NESN360 subscribers.

I did not receive a response.

The issue did not occur on the linear broadcast (such as if you were watching on cable). While the broadcast overall comes with its own frustrations — it’s absurd how often the race to get to a commercial cuts off play-by-play voice Dave O’Brien as he tries to quickly wrap up an inning — the aforementioned which-game-are-we-watching-here? glitch was exclusive to NESN360.

And that is a huge part of the problem.

The app costs $29.99 a month. When it launched as MLB’s first direct-to-consumer app in 2022, allowing fans in a particular region to watch their local team’s games without needing cable or a streaming service, I wrote that I thought the price was reasonable.

I was wrong. It’s not. It’s steep, and at that price, NESN needs to do much more to satisfy subscribers than it is doing so far.

NESN can say it’s trying to provide the best viewing experience on NESN360. But last Sunday was the biggest example yet of the product telling us something else entirely.

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
Last season I made the mistake of changing my cable account password and it wouldn’t let me link it to NESN after that. I finally realized that, for some reason, if I used my old cable password it would work.

Also, any time the game went over the allotted time and into the time slot for Bruins overtime live, the feed would just freeze and I’d have to restart it. Was always really fun to deal with especially when it happens in the final couple mins of a close game.

I wouldn’t pay $10 a month for that horrible app.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
NESN 360 a major disappointment at that price. Not likely to renew. Should be no more than $10 per month. Let alone the constant game viewing failures.

Reactions: HustleB

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I have NESN 360 on my iPad but rarely use it.

I think I have it as part of my XFinity package but I’m not 100% sure.

My question is this…am I right about that?

Because if I’m somehow paying for 360 separately, I’m going to cancel it.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
The stupidest thing I do this year will be to purchase the NESN 360 app. I love watching this team but I hate paying for this horrible product. I loved it back when I had them on YouTubeTV.

The team isn’t willing to fix there product or to sell it to streaming services who will deliver a high quality product. Only a fool would pay for this garbage and I am what I am. It’s embarrassing.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I have NESN 360 on my iPad but rarely use it.

I think I have it as part of my XFinity package but I’m not 100% sure.

My question is this…am I right about that?

Because if I’m somehow paying for 360 separately, I’m going to cancel it.

NESN 360 is free to those who pay for NESN on Xfinity.

Reactions: sarge88

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
The stupidest thing I do this year will be to purchase the NESN 360 app. I love watching this team but I hate paying for this horrible product. I loved it back when I had them on YouTubeTV.

The team isn’t willing to fix there product or to sell it to streaming services who will deliver a high quality product. Only a fool would pay for this garbage and I am what I am. It’s embarrassing.
Im also a fool that subscribes for the Bruins season every year. It is what it is. I can't switch from YouTubeTV as my dad uses my account and he'll never figure out a new app at 88. I tried streams but they are never that good, and I like watching on my TVs while browsing my laptop so I'd have to have a second laptop for streaming anyway, plus the HDMI cables hanging out of the TVs I watch on.

I'd love a better option, but at least I get some satisfaction canceling it after the post season moves to network TV every year.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Im also a fool that subscribes for the Bruins season every year. It is what it is. I can't switch from YouTubeTV as my dad uses my account and he'll never figure out a new app at 88. I tried streams but they are never that good, and I like watching on my TVs while browsing my laptop so I'd have to have a second laptop for streaming anyway, plus the HDMI cables hanging out of the TVs I watch on.

I'd love a better option, but at least I get some satisfaction canceling it after the post season moves to network TV every year.
Tom Werner thanks you

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I can't cancel comcast I've returned my box my service was shut off and they keep sending me new bills and charging for it. IDK what to do. How do I cancel and how can I sue them for this?

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
I can't cancel comcast I've returned my box my service was shut off and they keep sending me new bills and charging for it. IDK what to do. How do I cancel and how can I sue them for this?
Do you pay your bill with a credit card? If so do a chargeback through your credit card company or report it as fraudulent charge.

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad