Player Discussion Chabot ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
Not ready whatsoever, IMO. Haven't seen him do anything special and only special players should be playing in the NHL at 19 or 20 or whatever.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He's not ready and I doubt he even gets 9 games at this point. Unless he plays much better in the new few pre-season games.

I think you are right in this assessment. He needs to improve his reaction skills and positioning. He is not ready for NHL level speed, puck handling skills and physical play. More time is required to develop those skills and get stronger. One more year in Junior and then one more in AHL, and then maybe he will be ready.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We finally have a lot of depth at all positions (well except 3rd pairing LD) but Claesson/Borowiecki will do the job this year. The Sens can afford to take their time with prospects. Chabot IMO is not physically ready for pro hockey, which is a big step from junior. He needs to hit the gym and get ready to face NHL forwards. What is great about Chabot is he has a lot of things that you can't teach. Let him grow into a man and we'll have a special player

Actually, imagine if we could have all of Chabot, White and Brown at the same time next year? Well, Englund and Perron will graduate soon as well. Once those guys are here is when we will truly contend IMO.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
TBH ,I would love to see him play in the AHL .Its too bad he cant.I see he isnt ready just yet ,but he is real close.Would rather him start learning how to play the pro game,than him play against much lessor players

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
What number do you think Chabot goes with? He can make that 72 look good but it just seem to fit and I get him confused with Boro so it bugs me.

He was #5 in junior, and Ceci has that number locked down. maybe he sticks with 72 - my guess is he goes with 4.

steezyjeeves

Apr 18, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
What number do you think Chabot goes with? He can make that 72 look good but it just seem to fit and I get him confused with Boro so it bugs me.

He was #5 in junior, and Ceci has that number locked down. maybe he sticks with 72 - my guess is he goes with 4.

No way he takes 4. He's gotta know that would cause a little upset.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
To me, the 9 games are to evaluate a player who's on the verge of cracking the lineup in real game conditions. If we're sure he's going back to junior, there's no reason to give him those games. He's already had his season disrupted by Sens camp so let him get back to his team and settle in before the WJC disruption.

I agree he should be sent back soon, after perhaps a game or two. Nine games is not required as he has shown he is not ready yet.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Yeah 4 is as good as gone as 11 is.

Personally, I don't really hold #4 in the same regard as #11 in the context of this franchise.

I would be skeptical of anyone using #11 on their jersey, at least in the next half century, but I don't really have any feelings one way or another on someone using #4.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He should fight Ceci for 5 and if he doesn't win he immediately gets sent back to junior to get tougher and stronger. If he wins he gets 5 and still has a chance to make the team.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
So how come he is allowed to play in the NHL but isn't allowed to play in the AHL?

There is a private agreement in place between the NHL and the CHL that governs when a player coming from the CHL can play in the AHL. A player from the CHL has to either turn 20 by December 31st of the season (ie a player born in 1987 can start playing in the 2007-08 season, a player born in 1988 can start playing in the 2008-09 season etc.) OR have completed 4 seasons of junior eligibility. This agreement also covers European players if they are drafted out of the CHL (Examples would be players like Petr Vrana and Ivan Vishnevskiy). Also - CHL players are eligible to play in the AHL once their junior season is over (either by virtue of their junior team not making the playoffs or being eliminated from the playoffs) even if they don't yet meet the age or eligibility criteria listed above.

College players and European players (provided they are drafted out of Europe--even if they later play in the CHL) are not covered by this agreement. They only have to abide by the AHL's age requirement, which is that a player has to turn 18 by September 15 of any given season to be eligible to play. While you won't see many 18-year olds in the AHL, some European players have played at that age (e.g. Niklas Bergfors)

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=403429

From 2008 but I believe this is still accurate. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
I don't see it as us rushing Chabot at all if we sub him in and out of the lineup with Boro as the 7th D, if we indeed are doing 11 forwards, 7 D a game. Plus, in December, we can send him to the WJ's and let him completely dominate and have him come back hopefully full of confidence.

Of course just giving him 9 games playing spot duty on the bottom pairing then sending him back to junior would be fine too.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
We finally have a lot of depth at all positions (well except 3rd pairing LD) but Claesson/Borowiecki will do the job this year. The Sens can afford to take their time with prospects. Chabot IMO is not physically ready for pro hockey, which is a big step from junior. He needs to hit the gym and get ready to face NHL forwards. What is great about Chabot is he has a lot of things that you can't teach. Let him grow into a man and we'll have a special player

Actually, imagine if we could have all of Chabot, White and Brown at the same time next year? Well, Englund and Perron will graduate soon as well. Once those guys are here is when we will truly contend IMO.
Agreed, but I would also add that it wouldn't surprise me at all if next yr he starts the yr in Bingo rather than Ottawa to get some pro grooming there as well. He may not stay the whole yr down there but could see NHL action near the end of the season as we have seen the Sens do almost every yr with some young players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad