Proposal: CGY Kadri for CAR Kotkaniemi+

Ledge And Dairy

Carolina gets a legitimate 2C that can drive his own line and generates a lot of shots. Calgary gets a reclamation project and much younger while acquiring more futures and bettering their chances in the draft. Yes Kadri has 5 years left on his deal and is on the wrong side of 30 but he's still clearly a very good player now and fits the Canes contention window. Calgary can afford to take a shot on Kotkaniemi with their ample cap space. Worst case if he doesn't work out they can still buy him out at 1/3rd 2 years from now (871k cap hit).

What would be added here to balance a deal like this? A 1st from Carolina? Throw in Hanley to give the Canes a reliable #7?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
This is 100% the Canes bailing Calgary out of a contract they’d love to move. I like Kadri, it’s a shame that’s his contract. KK is a decade younger and still can be a tolerably overpaid bottom six player who has potential for more. The Flames immediately save 2 million of cap space a season even if they keep KK, and can buy him out cheap for two more years.

So we bail you out of your presumably unmoveable contract….and we add to do it?

We have time to do something with KK if we don’t want him anymore. We don’t need to be bailed out.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
If it's that small, the plus is on the wrong side there.

There might be something there if the deal is larger on both sides to balance things and address needs and surpluses.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I don’t know why people keep putting Huberdeau and Kadri in trade proposals, they are not going any where and that is fine.

The Flames need to stay above the cap floor, while they rebuild and the 2 contracts for these two help, also they can used as veteran presence.

Huberdeau and Kadri are finishing their contracts with the Flames and most likely Weegar.

Backlund, Coleman, Anderrson and other vets can be traded.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
So your proposal is for Carolina to acquire a guy who’s on the hook for 7 million for 4 more years, and going to be verified “old” by the end of it, rather than roll the dice with KK another year and buy him out for 871k if it doesn’t work out?
But you'll actually be getting production from the 2C. It's not like he's some scrub.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think the idea behind this proposal is solid. Canes need a 2C now, KK isn't working out and for a couple of years, Kadri could be a solution.

I think given how the Canes front office works though, they aren't going to want Kadri, who will be 34 to start the season at his contract without retention, and Calgary won't want to retain.

With no retention, it makes the Canes cap situation worse in signing Necas, Jarvis and Drury.

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
A Kadri acquisition doesn’t correlate to what Carolina does in any way. They don’t get players who are older and have a higher chance of regression on a bad contract. The only player they’ve done that with is Burns and Burns is one of the most athletic defenseman of all-time and also had two seasons in Carolina where he’s had his best defensive seasons according to underlying stats.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I've thought for months that there's some merit to a Kadri for Kotkaniemi swap...

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
What would be added here to balance a deal like this?
Significant retention, or the Hurricanes probably don't want the player against their cap. They just don't bring in or sign players to bad contracts. Sometimes to a fault, it could be argued, but that's their way. I can't think of a team less likely to dismiss the long-term implications of a contract like that for Kadri. The Hurricanes practically fetishize ensuring contract value.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
So your proposal is for Carolina to acquire a guy who’s on the hook for 7 million for 4 more years, and going to be verified “old” by the end of it, rather than roll the dice with KK another year and buy him out for 871k if it doesn’t work out?
And we get to add on top of Kotkaniemi for the honour of helping them out :laugh:

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Kadri just put up 75 points playing with 2 rookies on a team with only 1 other NHL center. Trading him would be really dumb unless we're getting an actual return. Kotkaniemi is a cap dump. I'd want a real return with no retention or I'd be keeping him. He's due to expire right around where we start to get competitive again anyway and is our only legit top 6 C. We just saw the ghost of Monahan get paid a similar amount and he returned a 1st at the TDL.

Ledge And Dairy

Anyone saying they're helping Calgary out, Calgary has to retain, or the plus is on the wrong side is delusional. The Flames are 21 million under the cap with him and Huberdeau making a combined 17.5M. the cap is going to raise at least another 5% next year and probably do the same the year after that. By the time Kadri falls off The cap will be north of 100M, and good chance he just LTIRetires.

What's factual is that Carolina took some massive losses this summer and are more of a bubble team than a contender now. Adding a 75 points play driving center at 7M while also clearing out a bad contract would give them a massive boost.

Canes fans need to pick a lane, you can't be anti rental and anti term. They literally traded for Burns at age 37 with 3 years remaining, how is Kadri any different here?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Anyone saying they're helping Calgary out, Calgary has to retain, or the plus is on the wrong side is delusional. The Flames are 21 million under the cap with him and Huberdeau making a combined 17.5M. the cap is going to raise at least another 5% next year and probably do the same the year after that. By the time Kadri falls off The cap will be north of 100M, and good chance he just LTIRetires.

What's factual is that Carolina took some massive losses this summer and are more of a bubble team than a contender now. Adding a 75 points play driving center at 7M while also clearing out a bad contract would give them a massive boost.

Canes fans need to pick a lane, you can't be anti rental and anti term. They literally traded for Burns at age 37 with 3 years remaining, how is Kadri any different here?
It's different. This one would be a much better pickup. As the roster sits now, Carolina could be anywhere from 3rd in the division to a non-playoff team. Kadri isn't old either, he's had his 2 best seasons this year and 2 years ago. Troy Brouwer was old at 27. Mark Giordano wasn't old at 37. Kadri is like the latter, not the former.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Burns is half retained my friend.

That’s what Canes aim for, value. They don’t always get it but that’s the goal. They would never trade for a 34 year old with years left at 7 million. That’s bad value. They had faith Burns had enough in the tank to be a 3 year fix at 1RD. The Canes are in an obvious reset after losing so many free agents.

We don’t want Kadri, he doesn’t fit what the Canes do. Especially not heavily retained. You may get one more good year out of Kadri, you may get none. Us trading Calgary a 24 year old that can be bought out for cheap only helps Calgary out of this contract. It gives the Canes the contract Calgary is trying to get rid of. Kadri isn’t worth the risk of that contract.

Ledge And Dairy

It's different. This one would be a much better pickup. As the roster sits now, Carolina could be anywhere from 3rd in the division to a non-playoff team. Kadri isn't old either, he's had his 2 best seasons this year and 2 years ago. Troy Brouwer was old at 27. Mark Giordano wasn't old at 37. Kadri is like the latter, not the former.
That's my point. Kadri would fit their playstyle and compete window like a leather glove. He hasn't shown any signs of regression either but people just act like he's already over the hill. He would go a long way in replacing what Guentzel brought for them too in shot generation. People on here acting like he's a cap dump are nuts, I imagine there is actually quite a lot of interest in him among GM's.

Maybe this is more of a mid season to deadline type of deal though, Canes have other things to address first like Jarvis and Drury, as well as Necas (who imo probably gets dealt, my guess Winnipeg). They probably test a few guys at 2C first like Kuzy again, or Roslovic and Jarvis but I suspect none of them will give them strong enough results.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Kadri was awesome last year and there's no indication he's slowing down. His style of play also suggests that even if he's not 100% effective, he's still a strong competitor. With the cap going up, worst case scenario is that kadri is overpaid by a few million for the last couple of years, which is true of must UFAs. Kadri can also easily be bought out in the last 2-3 years.

Kadri is far from an anchor of a contract.

Ledge And Dairy

Burns is half retained my friend.

That’s what Canes aim for, value. They don’t always get it but that’s the goal. They would never trade for a 34 year old with years left at 7 million. That’s bad value. They had faith Burns had enough in the tank to be a 3 year fix at 1RD. The Canes are in an obvious reset after losing so many free agents.

We don’t want Kadri, he doesn’t fit what the Canes do. Especially not heavily retained. You may get one more good year out of Kadri, you may get none. Us trading Calgary a 24 year old that can be bought out for cheap only helps Calgary out of this contract. It gives the Canes the contract Calgary is trying to get rid of. Kadri isn’t worth the risk of that contract.
Burns is actually 34% retained, not half. And that trade was made during the flat cap 2 years ago. a 37 year old Burns at 5.28M was taking up 6.4% of the cap, Kadri at 7M will be taking up 7.9% of the cap and is far more effective right now, it will be 7.5% next year. The Canes took a gamble on Burns after losing Dougie and it worked out, this is exactly the same thing after losing Guentzel. There is no rational argument you can make that Burns was a safe addition at 37 years old but Kadri is a horrible one at 34.

Maybe you specifically don't want Kadri but you are trolling if you think he doesn't fit what the Canes do, and I would suspect Tulsky would definitely have interest in him. You are right Kadri may only have 1 good year left but any betting man would bet he has at least 3.

Calgary would not be acquiring Kotkaniemi to buy him out, if his contract was viewed as that negative he would be a free agent already. Calgary would be acquiring him because they have 1 legitimate center prospect under the age of 33 (Zary). Backlund only has a couple years left and the Flames need to be looking for a replacement. Yes KK is still a cheap buyout but it's still at minimum 8 years of dead cap. They would be trading for him purely in hopes he can become a competent 3C.

• Haha
Reactions: chaz4hockey

Ad

Ad

Ad