Waived: [CGY] Ilya Solovyov waived by the Flames (cleared)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
This thread being two pages deep is just "Canadian Hockey team" syndrome. Lefthanded defenseman with only 10 NHL games prior to running out of waiver-exempt status. Teams around the League generally don't have much of a desire to take someone's soon to be aging out prospect to be a maybe 6th/7th defenseman coming into the year when they have their own guys like that in camp. Hopefully for Solovyov he plays well in the AHL and gets an opportunity if injuries hit.
Pardon me for being passionate about a young payer I'm high on. Call it want you want but there is no reason for the first part of your post.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
It's not a surprise he cleared.

It's disappointment that in a rebuild, this antiquated organization is still prioritizing mercenary vets. At some point you need to actually promote prospects to further their growth and development versus endless stagnation in lower leagues.

It's literally a rebuild and they might seriously graduate zero prospects onto the big club. That's just embarrassing.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Conroy gambled and he messed up because he upset some of the loyal fans.

I love that Solo cleared. He will be a great defensive defenseman in the NHL some day and I believe he could eventually top out as a second pairing guy. That said, Gru, Bru, Parekh, and a couple of veterans will make that very unlikely for the Flames.
Brzustewicz and Parekh aren’t his competition. Different sides, different styles.
Grushnikov, Kuznetsov, and Bahl are all his competion, and are all the same age or younger. Grushnikov is meaner with higher potential while being 3 years younger, Kuznetsov moves a lot better and is 2 years younger, and Bahl is a giant who has proven a lot higher level of play being the same age as Solovyov.

Reactions: Figgy44

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto

It's disappointment that in a rebuild, this antiquated organization is still prioritizing mercenary vets. At some point you need to actually promote prospects to further their growth and development versus endless stagnation in lower leagues.

It's literally a rebuild and they might seriously graduate zero prospects onto the big club. That's just embarrassing.
It's embarrassing that you would prefer to purposely lose than play a roster that has a better chance of winning games.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
It's embarrassing that you would prefer to purposely lose than play a roster that has a better chance of winning games.
It's hilarious that you think tired old vets on their last legs only playing for paycheck give the team a better chance of winning. Like seriously it's not 1997 anymore Darryl.

The only thing Barrie, Tinordi, and Hanley are good for is tanking.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
This thread being two pages deep is just "Canadian Hockey team" syndrome. Lefthanded defenseman with only 10 NHL games prior to running out of waiver-exempt status. Teams around the League generally don't have much of a desire to take someone's soon to be aging out prospect to be a maybe 6th/7th defenseman coming into the year when they have their own guys like that in camp. Hopefully for Solovyov he plays well in the AHL and gets an opportunity if injuries hit.

What's the point of this post? Would you make such a comment in a prospect form thread and call it Canadian Hockey Syndrome?

A few of us had a discussion about him because we felt he might be borderline for claimed and discussed whether we might lose him on waivers. A few of us are also interested in his development due to so few players from Belarus.

Solovyov is 13th all time for NHL GP for someone from Belarus. 37 more games and he's 10th all time. Sharangovich 6th all time and may likely become 5th all time by the end of the season.

Solo doesn't develop well as our 6/7 dman IMO. He needs top pairing on the Wranglers or 2nd pairing to make that leap IMO. Second pairing doesn't make sense, so Wranglers it is.

The only merc would be Barrie. Pachal and Hanley aren't technically mercs, Hanley maybe I'd give that to you, but he's expected to be mostly in the pressbox. I know it was far worse in the past for not playing prospects, but with how our roster is shaping up and the total GP on the back end for players not named Weegar/Andersson or Barrie... I don't think management is wrong for their current approach.

I assume Tinordi gets sent down. Bean is perhaps more appropriate age, calibre of player on the 3rd pairing plus maybe some nepotism, but again, not a true merc.

There's 456 NHL GP between Bahl, Bean, Pachal and Miromanov. Bahl and Bean account for 345 of those NHL GP. 111 games between Miromanov and Pachal on the right side, Barrie (RD) as a merc isn't the worst idea, but this doesn't affect Solo.

If he keeps it up, I think Solo can be permanently NHL next season once Hanley's contract expires. Then it's up to him whether he steals an LD spot from Bean/Bahl or stays as the press box guy. Based on a bunch of the contracts for the Flames, I think there is a potential plan for a mass graduation from the Wranglers to start the 2025-2026 season and another mass graduation for 2026-2027. I kinda view Solo's situation as one where management might be aiming to make his ceiling higher as second pairing vs put him in a situation where he maxes out as 3rd pairing.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020

I mean next year is the wave where the real prospects will be ready. Brzustewicz and Honzek will be ready, Parekh has a good chance for the sole reason that he probably will have outgrown the CHL, and some other guys may be ready to step up like Stromgren or Gridin etc. We are getting up in arms about a 6/7 guy who’s 24, only 2 years younger than one of those mercenary vets we will actually be playing this year (Bean).

Coronato, Pospisil, Zary, and Pelletier are all trying to earn spots and will all probably get increased roles as the season progresses, with likely a couple huge seasons of youth movements the next couple years as the actual young guys become ready. A 24 year old 7th round pick not making the team isn’t a sign of anything.

Reactions: Figgy44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad