Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] F Sam Honzek signs ELC with the Flames (3 years, $950k AAV)

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Doesn't seem like there's much point. Let him have a year.

Hardly enough room for more mature prospects as is.

I think we're hoping that Wolf gets 9, Coronato and a few other mature prospects who will play in the AHL will get 9 and who knows, maybe giving Honzek a few games to see what the play level difference is like will aid his development.

But if he's in the WHL, I wonder if it would have to be emergency recall, so maybe we can't give him 9?

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I think we're hoping that Wolf gets 9, Coronato and a few other mature prospects who will play in the AHL will get 9
Isn't the 9 game limit for contract to slide a year only for prospects that play in junior leagues? So it doesnt matter for AHL guys whether they play 9 games or 10 games.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I think we're hoping that Wolf gets 9, Coronato and a few other mature prospects who will play in the AHL will get 9 and who knows, maybe giving Honzek a few games to see what the play level difference is like will aid his development.

But if he's in the WHL, I wonder if it would have to be emergency recall, so maybe we can't give him 9?
I want all those prospects to play a lot more than nine games

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Isn't the 9 game limit for contract to slide a year only for prospects that play in junior leagues? So it doesnt matter for AHL guys whether they play 9 games or 10 games.

I thought it had to do with Calder qualifications as well, but after checking Mark Stone's situation again, I'm not sure since he had a season with 19 games before being a runner up for the Calder.

I do know we lamented the contract situation for Bennett when we burned a year after playing him more than 9 games in a season (playoffs).

I want all those prospects to play a lot more than nine games

I dream small I guess.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
I thought it had to do with Calder qualifications as well, but after checking Mark Stone's situation again, I'm not sure since he had a season with 19 games before being a runner up for the Calder.

I do know we lamented the contract situation for Bennett when we burned a year after playing him more than 9 games in a season (playoffs).

I dream small I guess.
"To be considered, a player cannot have previously played more than 25 games in any single season, nor have played in six or more games in each of any two preceding seasons, in any major pro league. In addition, Calder winners must be 26 years old or younger on September 15 of their rookie season."

Reactions: Kahvi and Fig

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga

Calder eligibility is about total number of games over two (or three?) seasons. Bennett was a junior league player so that's why the 9 game limit would have applied.

Reactions: Fig

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad