CFL 2024

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
There's a distinction between losing your job due to injury and losing it due to poor play. The injuries suffered to lose his position occurred two calendar years apart. Durability is a concern with Ford, I do agree with that, but QB injuries are very common in this league, two week-to-week injuries two years apart isn't abnormal. Mike Reilly spent plenty of time on the IR too.

This is how badly the team has botched the Ford situation though. We still don't know what we have. A lot of your projections might play out, but there's still enough doubt that fans rightly fear the organization has pissed away a potential long-term Canadian starting QB. They're in a catch-22 now. They buck up and make him the starter next year and it doesn't work out, team is set back another year. They let him walk and he might go on to star elsewhere and make them look like idiots for a decade.

Bringing back MBT might honestly be the safest option at this point. I think you've always been higher on him than most (Chad Kelly won the Grey Cup in relief, they were about to lose with MBT just to clarify ;)), but I agree that this fan base has been too critical of his play. There isn't a long list of QBs who visibly out-performed him this year.

To me, MBT is a reliable starter who's biggest weakness has always been throwing a pick at a bad time and poor mobility. But he usually puts up enough points that this can be reasonably overcome. There certainly aren't better QBs sitting on the bench elsewhere besides maybe Adams. Even then I'm not certain I'd replace MBT with Adams given he is already familiar with the offense. There's probably not more than five teams out there delighted with their starting QB situation at the moment. So if you've got a guy with a couple warts, but who you know will give you a chance to win most nights...things could absolutely get worse by moving on from MBT, no question about it.
Agree or disagree with it its been kinda apparent from the start that the Elks don't think Ford is the gem a lot of the media feel he is. But a lot of the media touting him up to be larger than life. Frankly I think that has done Ford no favors. This was definitely a drop back year and his worst year yet. Ford doesn't seem to be taking things at all seriously this season. Wasn't just the abysmal effort and play in the Winnipeg game, its at times he was more interested in gabbing with his brother than focusing on the game. Was one of the stranger things I've seen. This is pro sports, focus a little Tre. Tre seems to think he can have these distractions and everythings fine. Careers can end before they start and he's not winning any friends with the coaching staff.

Thing is Ford is getting injured and he barely runs the ball anymore.

I don't subscribe that the Elks have pissed away some kind of Russ Jackson here. Really of the younger QB's in league he was less touted certainly than Rourke, and even guys like Kelly. None of those guys are really establishing now and they're better than Ford. I actually think its more the media that have made such a big deal about Ford and perhaps to prop up ratings, a dying franchise, etc. Its probably a false bill of goods. If Ford could absorb punishment better I might feel different. He's no Mike Reilly thats for sure.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
One could argue that the necessity of the defense spying Ford opened up running lanes that weren't there tonight with MBT not being a threat to run.

But honestly the sample size here is pretty small to draw any conclusions. Ford barely played this season, he was just the focus of fan and media discussion throughout. Saying Ford only had one good game is factually accurate, but doesn't reveal much when he only played two full starts. When the dust settled, MBT won three starts against the two other non-playoff teams and lost literally every other one. I can concede he deserved a better fate in terms of raw wins and losses, but he did himself no favours with spotty play early in the year in some close losses. Like most players on the team, he improved with Jones' departure.

Ford actually only had one complete game. In his three starts the first was the Saskatchewan. The second vs. BC he was hurt in the first half and didn't play in the second half at all. The third vs. Winnipeg he was pulled early in the 4th quarter for MBT.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Ford would've had half the game starts this season were it not for getting injured. Again he LOST the starting job two of his seasons due to him getting injured. Once MBT relieved him he was the better option. Period.

I'm not sure where the talk of him losing the starters role last year is coming from. I remember him getting dinged up which limited his run game, but there were only 2 pass attempts by any QB other than Ford after he took over.

If you mean in Season 1, I don't think there was ever any intent for him to be taking over for the full season at that point. That was just meant to be a message to Arbuckle who did nothing with that message anyways.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I'm not sure where the talk of him losing the starters role last year is coming from. I remember him getting dinged up which limited his run game, but there were only 2 pass attempts by any QB other than Ford after he took over.

If you mean in Season 1, I don't think there was ever any intent for him to be taking over for the full season at that point. That was just meant to be a message to Arbuckle who did nothing with that message anyways.
In anycase this board sure has had a fixation with talking almost exclusively about QB's. Its just odd, and hardly no other players are ever mentioned now. Think it might be more productive discussion if we focus on the players we like and want retained at all.

For me A lot of the D makes it, we seem to have several ballers but oddly they've been dropping that ball half the games. Its weird because the personnel are there to be solid. Just seems inexperienced and mistakes made. Julian has sure earned it. I like Rankin, Leake somehow outside of one game hasn't been too much. Brown seems to always be getting hurt now. Like most of the receivers but overall Lewis isn't doing enough.

I know it seemed like team was on a cusp last season at end to turn it around but maybe next year. Feels like we have more pieces going forward.

Reactions: bone

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
Haven't seen the game yet, but will take a look at the taping and give an opinion. (usually bad but hey, lol)

I will say this without even seeing it but reviewing the season so far and even last year. I wonder how many games we would have won this year if we had the much maligned Sean Whyte kicking balls through the uprights? He was never going to pound 55 yarders through, but really consistent from around 45 and in. Too bad he got basically run out of town, but seems to be pretty decent in BC.
How did Whyte get run out of town? My impression is that he wanted to move back to Vancouver.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
How did Whyte get run out of town? My impression is that he wanted to move back to Vancouver.
I guess I'm wrong on that, (thanks for the correction) but it sure didn't seem like they tried very hard to keep him or persuade him to stay. However, my comment about him taking some criticism and heat, I will stand by.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Had a review of the game finally and my thoughts are..

- I thought MBT had a pretty good game. One mistake where he underthrew a layer but other than that, moved the ball confidently and with efficiency. I still think the game management from the coaching is not the best.
- I thought Eugene Lewis had a really good game. Again, one big mistake, and fortunately it only cost us a field goal. But he made some great catches.
- same sort of thing for Gurlie Kittens. Really solid game, but didn't protect the ball enough in a crucial moment. But he's been very good all year.
- coaching staff continues to ignore Leake for runbacks. I know a lot of people get pissed at the coaches for not playing Ford, but I get my hackles up seeing one of the premier returners in the league not being put in that position. What a waste. One more reason I want them to clean house at the management and coaching positions.

Reactions: MoontoScott

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Or how about Sergio Castillo, who Jones cut to save money (like what, 20 grand?)...seems Winnipeg found good use for him. Curious as to whether or not Julien can kick FGs...last two games would be a nice tryout. Maybe he can be another Sean Fleming. Bede better be nowhere near Commonwealth next year, that much is obvious.
Agree with all. Julian is the best kicker this league has had since the guy from Sask back in the day, or before that, Hasmmerin' Hank. Bede is a complete mystery. Best FG success % last year and completely shits the bed this year. Regardless, don't want him back either. Have no idea why they let Castillo walk.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Agree or disagree with it its been kinda apparent from the start that the Elks don't think Ford is the gem a lot of the media feel he is. But a lot of the media touting him up to be larger than life. Frankly I think that has done Ford no favors. This was definitely a drop back year and his worst year yet. Ford doesn't seem to be taking things at all seriously this season. Wasn't just the abysmal effort and play in the Winnipeg game, its at times he was more interested in gabbing with his brother than focusing on the game. Was one of the stranger things I've seen. This is pro sports, focus a little Tre. Tre seems to think he can have these distractions and everythings fine. Careers can end before they start and he's not winning any friends with the coaching staff.

Thing is Ford is getting injured and he barely runs the ball anymore.

I don't subscribe that the Elks have pissed away some kind of Russ Jackson here. Really of the younger QB's in league he was less touted certainly than Rourke, and even guys like Kelly. None of those guys are really establishing now and they're better than Ford. I actually think its more the media that have made such a big deal about Ford and perhaps to prop up ratings, a dying franchise, etc. Its probably a false bill of goods. If Ford could absorb punishment better I might feel different. He's no Mike Reilly thats for sure.

The hype probably didn't help his mindset, but at the end of the day the team drafted him 1st overall, unheard of for a Canadian QB, and the team told everyone he was going to be the starter going forward at the end of last year after a promising second half of the year. Then Jones pulled the rug out from under everyone and signed MBT and declared him starter instead. "The Elks suck but at least there's Ford so I'll still pay attention" was not an uncommon refrain after last season, yet the team chose to piss off the few remaining fans they had. As it stands, Ford remains the Elks all time wins leader at QB, despite having to wait for Cornelius and MBT-led teams to flush consecutive seasons before getting a chance in either one.

The fans are rightfully furious with how this was all handled by the organization and it will continue to be a talking point, even with legitimate concerns about his long-term viability as a starter. Heck, I'm going to be livid myself when he inevitably leaves/is told to leave in the off-season. This despite me also saying that bringing back MBT as starter next year might actually be the safer move at this point. The Elks really painted themselves into a corner with the fans on this one. Perhaps the Eskimos can paint their way out of it in 2025.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Had a review of the game finally and my thoughts are..

- I thought MBT had a pretty good game. One mistake where he underthrew a layer but other than that, moved the ball confidently and with efficiency. I still think the game management from the coaching is not the best.
- I thought Eugene Lewis had a really good game. Again, one big mistake, and fortunately it only cost us a field goal. But he made some great catches.
- same sort of thing for Gurlie Kittens. Really solid game, but didn't protect the ball enough in a crucial moment. But he's been very good all year.
- coaching staff continues to ignore Leake for runbacks. I know a lot of people get pissed at the coaches for not playing Ford, but I get my hackles up seeing one of the premier returners in the league not being put in that position. What a waste. One more reason I want them to clean house at the management and coaching positions.

This hands down is the craziest thing of all. They've got three guys that have been successful playing RB including Leake, so it's not like putting him off the return unit would ruin the run game. I can understand maybe not putting him out for every return "saving" him for some offensive plays, but not using him once since Week 9 is f***ing stupid.

He gained 15 yards as RB last weekend. I'm sure someone else could have got those 15 yards and maybe instead he could have broke one kick for a big return and that could have been enough to be the difference in the game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The hype probably didn't help his mindset, but at the end of the day the team drafted him 1st overall, unheard of for a Canadian QB, and the team told everyone he was going to be the starter going forward at the end of last year after a promising second half of the year. Then Jones pulled the rug out from under everyone and signed MBT and declared him starter instead. "The Elks suck but at least there's Ford so I'll still pay attention" was not an uncommon refrain after last season, yet the team chose to piss off the few remaining fans they had. As it stands, Ford remains the Elks all time wins leader at QB, despite having to wait for Cornelius and MBT-led teams to flush consecutive seasons before getting a chance in either one.

The fans are rightfully furious with how this was all handled by the organization and it will continue to be a talking point, even with legitimate concerns about his long-term viability as a starter. Heck, I'm going to be livid myself when he inevitably leaves/is told to leave in the off-season. This despite me also saying that bringing back MBT as starter next year might actually be the safer move at this point. The Elks really painted themselves into a corner with the fans on this one. Perhaps the Eskimos can paint their way out of it in 2025.
I'm not furious. The team in front of me is the best assemblage of players we've had here since Mike Reilly and Co. I get that people are down on the org for any number of things and I was one of those people with the name change but with new ownership and this season I'm feeling some positive changes have been made in the org.

I don't know what you mean about Ford being the alltime leader at QB.

Nor do I establish a narrative that Ford is even that one player superstar that a team revolves around. The last of those was Mike Reilly.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I'm not furious. The team in front of me is the best assemblage of players we've had here since Mike Reilly and Co. I get that people are down on the org for any number of things and I was one of those people with the name change but with new ownership and this season I'm feeling some positive changes have been made in the org.

I don't know what you mean about Ford being the alltime leader at QB.

Nor do I establish a narrative that Ford is even that one player superstar that a team revolves around. The last of those was Mike Reilly.

Meant Ford has won more games at QB than any other Elks QB. It's a little tongue in cheek seeing as the Elks have only won like 15 total games in their history, but Ford has six of them I believe. More than Corn, MBT, or Fatty Arbuckle managed to produce.

In any case I'm quite ready to move on from the whole Elks mess and forget about it, and I do feel a much more positive vibe since Thompson took over the team. Fresh start in 2025, hopefully as the Eskimos, and ideally we see some reasonable amount of player retention in the off-season. Not enough wins on the board this season, but outside the last Winnipeg game and the random blowout against Hamilton in July they were right there in all the rest, just kept making that one bonehead mistake to lose most of them.

I'd like to see them invest more resources on the defensive side of the ball next year. They need somebody other teams fear on the D-line especially. Swapping out a good but very high paid receiver (I'm looking at you Geno) for a stud pass-rusher who can create some havoc in the backfield would help out an inexperienced secondary that should improve year over year with guys like Gray and Bratton another year wiser.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Meant Ford has won more games at QB than any other Elks QB. It's a little tongue in cheek seeing as the Elks have only won like 15 total games in their history, but Ford has six of them I believe. More than Corn, MBT, or Fatty Arbuckle managed to produce.

In any case I'm quite ready to move on from the whole Elks mess and forget about it, and I do feel a much more positive vibe since Thompson took over the team. Fresh start in 2025, hopefully as the Eskimos, and ideally we see some reasonable amount of player retention in the off-season. Not enough wins on the board this season, but outside the last Winnipeg game and the random blowout against Hamilton in July they were right there in all the rest, just kept making that one bonehead mistake to lose most of them.

I'd like to see them invest more resources on the defensive side of the ball next year. They need somebody other teams fear on the D-line especially. Swapping out a good but very high paid receiver (I'm looking at you Geno) for a stud pass-rusher who can create some havoc in the backfield would help out an inexperienced secondary that should improve year over year with guys like Gray and Bratton another year wiser.
Thanks for explaining. I didn't get it. When you say moving on and forgetting you don't mean about the team do you? You're one of the biggest fans here and maybe one of the most positive too. You mean just forgetting about this season?

Yeah. The Edmonton Football team drew me back a bit this season. More positives than any recent season and I love the ownership change. With paper tickets I would be going to games. Thats the thing that needs to change to get me in the stands. Or if anybody wants to buy us a couple tickets. ;)

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Thanks for explaining. I didn't get it. When you say moving on and forgetting you don't mean about the team do you? You're one of the biggest fans here and maybe one of the most positive too. You mean just forgetting about this season?

Yeah. The Edmonton Football team drew me back a bit this season. More positives than any recent season and I love the ownership change. With paper tickets I would be going to games. Thats the thing that needs to change to get me in the stands. Or if anybody wants to buy us a couple tickets. ;)

Just forgetting about the whole 4 year Elks/ownership board fiasco. Clean slate in 2025. Even if they don't change the name back it at least feels like a new direction forward under Thompson. If the CFL has taught me anything, it's that at any moment at least one or two teams will be in long-term funk, going through ownership uncertainty and off-field incompetence at multiple levels. Edmonton hadn't gone through that for 50 years, so I guess it was bound to happen eventually, but it feels like that time might be mercifully drawing to a close, we'll see. Looks like the Stampeders are about ready to receive the torch of incompetence, somebody else's turn lol.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Just forgetting about the whole 4 year Elks/ownership board fiasco. Clean slate in 2025. Even if they don't change the name back it at least feels like a new direction forward under Thompson. If the CFL has taught me anything, it's that at any moment at least one or two teams will be in long-term funk, going through ownership uncertainty and off-field incompetence at multiple levels. Edmonton hadn't gone through that for 50 years, so I guess it was bound to happen eventually, but it feels like that time might be mercifully drawing to a close, we'll see. Looks like the Stampeders are about ready to receive the torch of incompetence, somebody else's turn lol.
My thoughts exactly. Thompson and his wife have brought back an Eskimos spirit if not name and I'm ready to turn the page too. Now if COE will stop f***ing around and give the southside some park and ride again that would be nice. Paper tickets would be nice.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

First big test in Larry’s ownership comes this off season, some important positions to fill, hopefully he picks the right guys. Won’t be happy if it’s not a complete house cleaning, with both the interim guys gone.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
First big test in Larry’s ownership comes this off season, some important positions to fill, hopefully he picks the right guys. Won’t be happy if it’s not a complete house cleaning, with both the interim guys gone.
Actually, in my mind, all he has to do is make the one big and correct hire. (President). If that happens, hopefully that guy makes the rest of the solid hires in a domino effect.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Dustbin Neilson dumping on Edmonton again. Every telecast he's giddy with zeal anytime a play goes against us. Hard enough to stomach him once a week on the telecasts. But him being a Spector level Butthole all week.

Can't wait for this tool to be removed from broadcasting our games. Thankful anytime he's not on the crew.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad