CFL 2024

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
There's a distinction between losing your job due to injury and losing it due to poor play. The injuries suffered to lose his position occurred two calendar years apart. Durability is a concern with Ford, I do agree with that, but QB injuries are very common in this league, two week-to-week injuries two years apart isn't abnormal. Mike Reilly spent plenty of time on the IR too.

This is how badly the team has botched the Ford situation though. We still don't know what we have. A lot of your projections might play out, but there's still enough doubt that fans rightly fear the organization has pissed away a potential long-term Canadian starting QB. They're in a catch-22 now. They buck up and make him the starter next year and it doesn't work out, team is set back another year. They let him walk and he might go on to star elsewhere and make them look like idiots for a decade.

Bringing back MBT might honestly be the safest option at this point. I think you've always been higher on him than most (Chad Kelly won the Grey Cup in relief, they were about to lose with MBT just to clarify ;)), but I agree that this fan base has been too critical of his play. There isn't a long list of QBs who visibly out-performed him this year.

To me, MBT is a reliable starter who's biggest weakness has always been throwing a pick at a bad time and poor mobility. But he usually puts up enough points that this can be reasonably overcome. There certainly aren't better QBs sitting on the bench elsewhere besides maybe Adams. Even then I'm not certain I'd replace MBT with Adams given he is already familiar with the offense. There's probably not more than five teams out there delighted with their starting QB situation at the moment. So if you've got a guy with a couple warts, but who you know will give you a chance to win most nights...things could absolutely get worse by moving on from MBT, no question about it.
Agree or disagree with it its been kinda apparent from the start that the Elks don't think Ford is the gem a lot of the media feel he is. But a lot of the media touting him up to be larger than life. Frankly I think that has done Ford no favors. This was definitely a drop back year and his worst year yet. Ford doesn't seem to be taking things at all seriously this season. Wasn't just the abysmal effort and play in the Winnipeg game, its at times he was more interested in gabbing with his brother than focusing on the game. Was one of the stranger things I've seen. This is pro sports, focus a little Tre. Tre seems to think he can have these distractions and everythings fine. Careers can end before they start and he's not winning any friends with the coaching staff.

Thing is Ford is getting injured and he barely runs the ball anymore.

I don't subscribe that the Elks have pissed away some kind of Russ Jackson here. Really of the younger QB's in league he was less touted certainly than Rourke, and even guys like Kelly. None of those guys are really establishing now and they're better than Ford. I actually think its more the media that have made such a big deal about Ford and perhaps to prop up ratings, a dying franchise, etc. Its probably a false bill of goods. If Ford could absorb punishment better I might feel different. He's no Mike Reilly thats for sure.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
One could argue that the necessity of the defense spying Ford opened up running lanes that weren't there tonight with MBT not being a threat to run.

But honestly the sample size here is pretty small to draw any conclusions. Ford barely played this season, he was just the focus of fan and media discussion throughout. Saying Ford only had one good game is factually accurate, but doesn't reveal much when he only played two full starts. When the dust settled, MBT won three starts against the two other non-playoff teams and lost literally every other one. I can concede he deserved a better fate in terms of raw wins and losses, but he did himself no favours with spotty play early in the year in some close losses. Like most players on the team, he improved with Jones' departure.

Ford actually only had one complete game. In his three starts the first was the Saskatchewan. The second vs. BC he was hurt in the first half and didn't play in the second half at all. The third vs. Winnipeg he was pulled early in the 4th quarter for MBT.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Ford would've had half the game starts this season were it not for getting injured. Again he LOST the starting job two of his seasons due to him getting injured. Once MBT relieved him he was the better option. Period.

I'm not sure where the talk of him losing the starters role last year is coming from. I remember him getting dinged up which limited his run game, but there were only 2 pass attempts by any QB other than Ford after he took over.

If you mean in Season 1, I don't think there was ever any intent for him to be taking over for the full season at that point. That was just meant to be a message to Arbuckle who did nothing with that message anyways.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I'm not sure where the talk of him losing the starters role last year is coming from. I remember him getting dinged up which limited his run game, but there were only 2 pass attempts by any QB other than Ford after he took over.

If you mean in Season 1, I don't think there was ever any intent for him to be taking over for the full season at that point. That was just meant to be a message to Arbuckle who did nothing with that message anyways.
In anycase this board sure has had a fixation with talking almost exclusively about QB's. Its just odd, and hardly no other players are ever mentioned now. Think it might be more productive discussion if we focus on the players we like and want retained at all.

For me A lot of the D makes it, we seem to have several ballers but oddly they've been dropping that ball half the games. Its weird because the personnel are there to be solid. Just seems inexperienced and mistakes made. Julian has sure earned it. I like Rankin, Leake somehow outside of one game hasn't been too much. Brown seems to always be getting hurt now. Like most of the receivers but overall Lewis isn't doing enough.

I know it seemed like team was on a cusp last season at end to turn it around but maybe next year. Feels like we have more pieces going forward.

Reactions: bone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad