TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
giphy.gif

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Does the CFL have a salary cap? How could BC fit in a $600K salary?
Collaros in WPG makes 600k. That much can fit into the cap. Rourke is only gonna make 250k this year though. They won't be able to afford both VA and Rourke next year. The BS part I don't understand is next year he makes 550k on the cap and 200k that's cap exempt in marketing money. What the f*** is that?

Still think the best name for Edmonton is "Empire" and really lean into the Star Wars evil empire theme. Have the team come out of the tunnel to the Darth Vader theme, play up dark side idea, etc. It would be pretty epic, IMO. I grew up thinking of and hating the Eskimos as the "Evil Empire".

PositiveCashFlow

the construction could be better
Jul 10, 2007
Fine, if Larry Thompson want to change the name to "Evil Empire" I'll allow it.

Then again it's his team now, he can do whatever he wants with it

Reactions: bellagiobob

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
While I don't agree completely, I sort of understand.

It's one thing to keep a name that's based in history that wasn't selected at a time when it was considered offensive.

It's a completely different thing to rename your team to a name that is considered offensive at the time you are renaming it.

That said, I'm fascinated to see what the results of such an action would be.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
While I don't agree completely, I sort of understand.

It's one thing to keep a name that's based in history that wasn't selected at a time when it was considered offensive.

It's a completely different thing to rename your team to a name that is considered offensive at the time you are renaming it.

That said, I'm fascinated to see what the results of such an action would be.

In general I agree with you on this, the issue for me in this case is based on the various polls, etc we’ve seen, the name is offensive to some, while others wear it as a badge of honor. Not sure it didn’t just get caught in the whole politicalizing of team names at the time.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
In general I agree with you on this, the issue for me in this case is based on the various polls, etc we’ve seen, the name is offensive to some, while others wear it as a badge of honor. Not sure it didn’t just get caught in the whole politicalizing of team names at the time.
Tough to say, but the team isn't the only group to remove the word Eskimo from their name. A local steel fabrication company also did prior to the team name change. There's also a musical act from Europe that used to be called Eskimo Callboy that changed it's name to Electric Callboy so globally there's at least some recognition that the name is problematic to enough people to matter.

I'm firmly in the camp of "don't care what the name ends up being unless it a completely new variant never used before". I also hope that regardless of the path chosen we as group of sports fans just move on.

To me the bigger thing is seeing if this owner really understands the underlying issues and isn't just obsessed with the thought that the name fixes everything. The rot in this organization has run deep for decades and everything needs to be looked at and overhauled.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Tough to say, but the team isn't the only group to remove the word Eskimo from their name. A local steel fabrication company also did prior to the team name change. There's also a musical act from Europe that used to be called Eskimo Callboy that changed it's name to Electric Callboy so globally there's at least some recognition that the name is problematic to enough people to matter.

I'm firmly in the camp of "don't care what the name ends up being unless it a completely new variant never used before". I also hope that regardless of the path chosen we as group of sports fans just move on.

To me the bigger thing is seeing if this owner really understands the underlying issues and isn't just obsessed with the thought that the name fixes everything. The rot in this organization has run deep for decades and everything needs to be looked at and overhauled.
The name change is a off field problem and is clearly seperate from the mismanagement of the on field product.
I cant see how the owner thinks otherwise. He isnt a dummy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad