CFL 2024

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
This won’t change anyone’s mind one way or the other, and I’m not trying to. I don’t have a strong opinion but I thought this article was a good read.

Too bad that a single opinion was treated as sacrosanct. Ridiculous.

A key detail that often gets ignored - Eskimos used zero indigenous imagery, zero indigenous mascots, zero indigenous chants, and absolutely zero association with indigenous culture whatsoever. The comparison at the start of the article to a youth team with an indigenous logo, mascot, chants, etc is apples and oranges. Doesn’t hold up to 10 seconds of scrutiny.

Reactions: rboomercat90

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
This won’t change anyone’s mind one way or the other, and I’m not trying to. I don’t have a strong opinion but I thought this article was a good read.

A lot of what is contained in the article has been out there for awhile, and while it contains some decent info, it’s not hard to find the point of bias that the writer has and expresses thruout the article. Again, nothing wrong with an opinion piece, but that’s really all it is.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I don’t think that’s what the article is saying. I think a powerful, influential and persuasive voice raised the issue, but I think there a bit more to it then that.

A lot of what is contained in the article has been out there for awhile, and while it contains some decent info, it’s not hard to find the point of bias that the writer has and expresses thruout the article. Again, nothing wrong with an opinion piece, but that’s really all it is.
Fair, there is a slant there, but it does talk through the process and contained some things I didn’t know.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
He wasn’t the only one. I can also remember an MP from Nunavut who was trying to convince everyone that the Edmonton Eskimos should be paying the indigenous $2 billion in restitution. I assumed she thought they were an NFL team. So much for good faith discussions.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I've read the article before. And the author starts out with a slanted view from the very beginning in the highlighted test at the top.

"For years, Edmonton’s football club refused to change their insensitive name. Then their sponsors threatened to drop them."

Calling it an "insensitive" name to start it off. Regarding the sponsors (Bel-Air and Boston Pizza) that threatened to drop them due to their own virtue signalling, then bailed out on the team nary a year later and haven't been seen on a crusade since.

Then, decrying the use of the name to denigrate Inuit, saying it was used to this very day. What a crock. I have lived here all of my life and I have NEVER once heard an indigenous, let along an Inuit called an Eskimo. They have been called a million other derogatory things, but no one in our modern age even thought to use that one. No one has ever bothered to dig that deep. This isn't 1880 or even 1920.

The Eskimos Football team have throughout the time I have followed them,( and that goes back to the late 60's) have NEVER used the name in any derogatory way. Quite the contrary, the football team used the name to invoke toughness, pride, never giving up, etc. If anyone in this neck of the woods ever used the word Eskimo, it was likely to describe proudly their football team and anyone who played on it. By extension from that, the same thinking about actual Inuit carried the same connotations. The mascots typically were polar bears and other northern creatures.
In later years, the team reached out every year to visit the Inuit, with players visiting them and making a connection with the people, even having some of them come down for games every year. If there were issues (and there were plenty) with the life they led and the treatment by the government, it certainly shone a bright light on it. I think that's another reason why so many of them grew fond of the organization.

"Instead of boycotting the Elks, fans stormed the team store, which had to extend its hours to meet demand."

LMAO, on this one. I guess they were basing sales on the guy that used to come on here, and gloated that he bought $1000 worth of merch. Wonder how those sales are going now?

And in the article the author actually states some damning facts that go AGAINST his argument, where by the MAJORITY of the Inuit polled, were either fine with the name or didn't care. He states that and then quickly glosses over it.

"Between the new logo, fresh gear, the stadium overhaul and sundry administrative changes, Edmonton’s CFL team spent roughly $2 million on the rebrand. “In the short term, yes, it was an expense,” says Rhodes. “But in the long term, I believe the return on investment will be at least tenfold.”

Another LMAO comment from non-other than class clown, Len Rhodes. You know, the guy that can't seem to keep a job, despite his bullshit style and zero substance. How's that ROI, Lenny? So good apparently, the team is bleeding millions every year, no one goes to the game, is soon to be on death row, and is desperately trying to find an owner after 70 years of proud public ownership, flushed down the toilet with these idiots.

And the author keeps bringing up events surrounding it, like the Redskins changing their name, the George Floyd uproar and the grave in the rez schools found (which have now been found to be largely either non-human, or many, many other children and people that were not indigenous. (I've spoken to an anthropologist that has been one of those in charge of the digs, and he said it's a ton of misinformation that eventually will be proven to be so. But that's a story for another time)

To conclude, I obviously am extremely sorry that Nathan Obed, the hero of his writing, lived a childhood and teen years and beyond, facing racism, and being called an Indian, and a whole worse. I doubt anyone lashed out with "Eskimo" trying to get his goat. I understand his frustration with that and the way his people have been treated. But the Eskimos made that name a proud name. They turned piss into sweet lemonade which can happen through history.

Disappointed also with spineless nimrods like Tom Richards and Alan Watt, who I really though had more backbone and reasoning, and instead, like the BDO, caved to a vocal minority.

And now, we have a team named after an animal and absolutely no connection to the Inuit, with our name history being whitewashed and removed from the books. Wonder what the new wokesters have done to shine a light and help out the current Inuit? Wonder if the name change has had a positive influence on their lives. I bet that 2 million bucks to change the name could have been donated to them to get some proper drinking water and schools, etc.

This article is rubbish, distorting facts and is beyond biased.

He wasn’t the only one. I can also remember an MP from Nunavut who was trying to convince everyone that the Edmonton Eskimos should be paying the indigenous $2 billion in restitution. I assumed she thought they were an NFL team. So much for good faith discussions.
You knew someone (or a group or three) were eventually going to jump on the money train and try to get some free cash out of it.

Last edited:

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Until I heard Trent Brown's rant yesterday, I was hopeful, perhaps even confident that the EE's ownership change could result in a positive bump like the one that the Lions & Alouettes received. Now, it seems that the clueless/insular Board of Directors who gave us Len Rhodes, Chris Presson & Victor Cui is choosing the next owner without seeking advice from a wide variety of knowledgeable local stakeholders. Given their awful track record, I'm seriously worried about the survival of our city's football team.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
Since they changed the name and broke a lot of history it is soon getting to a point of if they don't do a quick change to fix things the only solution may be to dissolve the team and just make a new one with a new owner and get rid of the remains of the team

It would be sad but with the current path of the team and how little interest there seems to be of the team to reflect on how they could screw up a team that was impossible to screw up, they won't get anywhere

Reactions: Stoneman89

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Until I heard Trent Brown's rant yesterday, I was hopeful, perhaps even confident that the EE's ownership change could result in a positive bump like the one that the Lions & Alouettes received. Now, it seems that the clueless/insular Board of Directors who gave us Len Rhodes, Chris Presson & Victor Cui is choosing the next owner without seeking advice from a wide variety of knowledgeable local stakeholders. Given their awful track record, I'm seriously worried about the survival of our city's football team.
That was my takeaway. Also, with the lack of rumors on who it is, iam beginning to think it isn't anyone from the community.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That was my takeaway. Also, with the lack of rumors on who it is, iam beginning to think it isn't anyone from the community.
Which I think can be okay. If you can find someone passionate about the CFL I think that is the box I'm looking for before just some rich person from the Edmonton area.

Now if a Tom Fath had the passion he had with soccer then I think that would be a pretty good situation. I get he wasn't able to get soccer over the hump here, but soccer has always struggled in this City unlike CFL that has been a pretty big success up until 5 years ago or so

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Which I think can be okay. If you can find someone passionate about the CFL I think that is the box I'm looking for before just some rich person from the Edmonton area.

Now if a Tom Fath had the passion he had with soccer then I think that would be a pretty good situation. I get he wasn't able to get soccer over the hump here, but soccer has always struggled in this City unlike CFL that has been a pretty big success up until 5 years ago or so
I think the Faths had their hearts in the right place, they were just overwhelmed with being sports owners.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think the Faths had their hearts in the right place, they were just overwhelmed with being sports owners.
From insider information they thought they'd get a lot more community support with all their business contacts, but it never did happen the way they thought.

They gave piles of swag and tickets when they started out, but those businesses that got them saw that their employees really didn't care so there wasn't nearly the investment they thought they'd get to help them start out.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Waddell Smith was such a pleasure to watch. He had Olympic class speed and soft hands. It didn't hurt that Warren Moon was throwing him the ball. Sometimes the combo looked pattern perfect on deep routes. He was built like a Gazelle and was a graceful runner--fun to watch and of course so was the scoreboard.

Smith was in the mold of Bob Hayes, (the 100 meter sprint champion from the1964 Olympics) who turned pro receiver with the Cowboys.

Yes indeed, some great memories about Smith. I never heard much of him after the mid-80's when he left the Eskimos for the Cowboys. He played all of 2 games down there.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,052.00