CFL 2024

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Just as an aside, I don't recall seeing one of the outspoken proponents of the name change, our lovely and talented former mayor, Don Iveson, in the seats. Someone out there should put up a billboard with his face on a milk carton with an Elk logo, as to where this man is these dark days. There are plenty of seats available for him and his family and friends to choose from, and they desperately need his woke money.

Big difference for me is teams can turn things around far quicker in the CFL even without a #1 pick that has impact.

Like how often do teams miss the playoffs 4 years in a row?

It's really unacceptable to be this bad with not even a glimmer of hope that the team will turn it around soon.
Yup. With only 8 other teams as competition every year, and a total of 6 making the playoffs, it really is incredible to be this bad, to not only consistently miss the playoffs, but finish in last place by a bullet every year as well.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Just as an aside, I don't recall seeing one of the outspoken proponents of the name change, our lovely and talented former mayor, Don Iveson, in the seats. Someone out there should put up a billboard with his face on a milk carton with an Elk logo, as to where this man is these dark days. There are plenty of seats available for him and his family and friends to choose from, and they desperately need his woke money.

Yup. With only 8 other teams as competition every year, and a total of 6 making the playoffs, it really is incredible to be this bad, to not only consistently miss the playoffs, but finish in last place by a bullet every year as well.
He was preoccupied with more vigorous and moral pursuits--cut the poor man a break.

• Haha
Reactions: Stoneman89

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Did Jackson get some back pocket endorsement for bringing on Stan for the league by Gary?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
who are we discussing?
The guy who was in this thread 3 1/2 years ago pushing the name change and telling us how brilliant the organization was by doing things the way they were doing them. And presumably, I guess, absent since then until recently. Not that many of us would know because he was so over the top that we just put him on ignore.😉

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The guy who was in this thread 3 1/2 years ago pushing the name change and telling us how brilliant the organization was by doing things the way they were doing them. And presumably, I guess, absent since then until recently. Not that many of us would know because he was so over the top that we just put him on ignore.😉
That narrows it down to two morons

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
He might have doing the work of 2.:D

As has been mentioned - the name Messiah rings a bell.
This was the guy I remembered when his name was brought up, mostly because I’d rarely seen him post anywhere on this board before that issue came up. Some of the people supporting him at least were more regular posters.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This was the guy I remembered when his name was brought up, mostly because I’d rarely seen him post anywhere on this board before that issue came up. Some of the people supporting him at least were more regular posters.
Yes, I remember him only by his posting when the name change issue was in full bloom and shortly thereafter. Nothing much before or certainly not after on here.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
MBT fined again today by the CFL for comments about the schedule. How about playing a lights out game at QB and easing the pain that way?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
MBT fined again today by the CFL for comments about the schedule. How about playing a lights out game at QB and easing the pain that way?

This is a case where I think both parties are equally ridiculous.

MBT for incessantly whining from the losers chair, and the CFL for their idiotic scheduling.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
For the casual and mid level fan, I don’t think that changes anything.
At the end of the day you need 2 of the following to bring people in.
Affordability, quality food/venue/fun atmosphere, good team.
Right now for the most part the team has none of the 3. New people in charge are pointless unless they improve 3 of the things. Especially for a low tier league.

What we have is a bad team, that decent seats cost far to much for the quality of game the CFL current is with too expensive concessions, good and access to venue and the in game entertainment, atmosphere and food suck.

Cleaning house matters to almost no one in the grand scheme of things unless those things change.

There is so many things to do in the summer and fall in Edmonton, so many reasons to not go to a football game..and the team keeps giving us more.

The die hards that have left cause of the name change might come back for that, but for the league to survive they need to bring in the people who currently don’t care about the league or team. And I have seen nothing from the org that would do that.
I just think that a significant amount of people see this team/organization for what it is.
Its a fraud. A 2 dimensional paper cutout of what it used to be.
Pretty tough to balance being embarrassed by the Eskimo name (and all the heritage that goes with it) and all that name has meant to this city for decades with cheap hotdogs and good beer.
Winning might make a difference if they are able to build a new fan base. The CFL isnt exactly an easy sell in this day and age.
So you can dress it up 6 ways to Sunday but for a lot of people it wont distract from the reality of what this team really is.
A fraud.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I just think that a significant amount of people see this team/organization for what it is.
Its a fraud. A 2 dimensional paper cutout of what it used to be.
Pretty tough to balance being embarrassed by the Eskimo name (and all the heritage that goes with it) and all that name has meant to this city for decades with cheap hotdogs and good beer.
Winning might make a difference if they are able to build a new fan base. The CFL isnt exactly an easy sell in this day and age.
So you can dress it up 6 ways to Sunday but for a lot of people it wont distract from the reality of what this team really is.
A fraud.
As much as some of the woke whiners said the word Eskimo was hurtful and embarrassing to the Inuit (all 10 of them who were in that group), I propose that the Elk name is every bit as hurtful and embarrassing to myself and a host of others. Imagine someone coming up to you on the street while you flaunt your Elk gear, and making fun of you and calling you an "Elk" fan.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
As much as some of the woke whiners said the word Eskimo was hurtful and embarrassing to the Inuit (all 10 of them who were in that group), I propose that the Elk name is every bit as hurtful and embarrassing to myself and a host of others. Imagine someone coming up to you on the street while you flaunt your Elk gear, and making fun of you and calling you an "Elk" fan.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
You might have to go to EE. Elks Enonymous

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He might have doing the work of 2.:D

As has been mentioned - the name Messiah rings a bell.
Wasnt that the guy claiming how he was gonna go drop thousands on new merch for the elks?

That stuff probably makes good firestarter right now, when fires arent banned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad