CFL 2024

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I don't see what changing a name really does at this point. A name change doesn't change the fact that the team is absolute garbage on field.

I don't see it really hurting either, but I don't expect any sort of massive attendance spike because of a name change
I doubt they'll ever go back...that ship has sailed

but they've got a LONG way to go to repair the image of the "Elks" because that name is synonymous losing, dysfunction and chaos

I've said it before but I'm glad the "Eskimo" name wasn't used during this era of EE football because that name represented a classy, winning organization

Reactions: Darkwinter

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They could be called the Edmonton Badass Mofos with guns and they'd still be the same shit team they've always been. Complaining about "woke" or whatever ignores that this team was poorly managed all the way back to the Dink n' Dunk Danny years.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I doubt they'll ever go back...that ship has sailed

but they've got a LONG way to go to repair the image of the "Elks" because that name is synonymous losing, dysfunction and chaos

I've said it before but I'm glad the "Eskimo" name wasn't used during this era of EE football because that name represented a classy, winning organization
Not sure if it's fully sailed. If the new ownership ever involved ex-players in some sort of capacity I think you could see it being changed.

Sounds like there is an appetite from some of the ex-players to bring back the history

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
They could be called the Edmonton Badass Mofos with guns and they'd still be the same shit team they've always been. Complaining about "woke" or whatever ignores that this team was poorly managed all the way back to the Dink n' Dunk Danny years.
I think people are talking about trying to win some of the fans back. I don’t think anyone thinks it will fix management or make the elks a better team.

And no they haven’t always been shit. Come on.

Reactions: bellagiobob

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I think the biggest issue of the Elks is that as I turn on their games on tv, my first thought is "well, how are they going to lose today."
Can’t even get excited when they have the lead because it’s inevitable that they screw it up. It’s tough to commit 3 hours of your time to watch that. It’s like reading a book knowing the ending is terrible. Why do it?

Mind you I watched the Oilers embarrass themselves for decade.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
I don't see what changing a name really does at this point. A name change doesn't change the fact that the team is absolute garbage on field.

I don't see it really hurting either, but I don't expect any sort of massive attendance spike because of a name change
This team was the heart and soul of the CFL for as long as I can remember.
They buckled to Boston pizza demands and How many fans did that piss off?So if the new owner came in and cleaned the house of the wokeness I think it would improve fan attendance. People are getting tired of this DEI bullish**

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Not sure if it's fully sailed. If the new ownership ever involved ex-players in some sort of capacity I think you could see it being changed.

Sounds like there is an appetite from some of the ex-players to bring back the history
perhaps, and it would go a long way to repair the damage they did to the fans (let's face it, the people "insulted" by the name didn't even bother to watch anyway...and they certainly didn't show up when they became the Elks)

but if the Elks go 13-5 next year and win the Grey Cup, I doubt fans would be too pissed about the name change

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I doubt it either, as you need to show you also have a competent organization. However, a complete reset (again) is what appears to be needed to gain back any sort of respect. And if it's done, the new owner will have to ride out the wave of the screams and howls of the minority, and satisfy the ones who are the real football fans to begin with.

Boo f***ing hoo. Snowflakes. The lot of you. It’s imagine how fragile and threatened white boomers are of “wokesters.”

Abandon the team. Stop bitching about it. Y’all are gonna be 90 years old soon and still complaining about the name change and some offhand comment made years earlier.
Enjoy your Budlight. If you don't like our bitching, put us all on ignore. Someone on here with a name just like yours, told me to do that a while ago.:D

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I do find it interesting that it almost always seems to be people that are clearly not big football fans lecturing others about getting over the name change.

Honestly wasn’t that the case prior to the name change? Non football fans telling football fans the team name was offensive? Bel-Air Insurance threatened to pull their sponsorship, and left the next year anyway. I doubt the team gained a single fan due to the name change.

In fact didn’t the Indigenous people say it wasn’t necessary? Or am I not remembering it correctly?

FiftyFifty

Mar 13, 2018
Honestly wasn’t that the case prior to the name change? Non football fans telling football fans the team name was offensive? Bel-Air Insurance threatened to pull their sponsorship, and left the next year anyway. I doubt the team gained a single fan due to the name change.

In fact didn’t the Indigenous people say it wasn’t necessary? Or am I not remembering it correctly?
I saw four indigenous last game. It’s working.

And this season I noticed less old white men because they’re dead.

Reactions: Stoneman89

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

We had about a dozen one and done posts here gloating about the name change. Diehard football fans. ;) As for if it was necessary, that will be debatable forever. The Eskimos did numerous studies and polls and found that the majority of the northern folks were fine with the name, even proud with the way it was being used. But there were also some very well organized social media attacks that basically brought it down. There likely isn't an answer to whether the name was offensive to the indigenous people as a whole, as like it is on most issues, it depends on who you talk to, everyone has their own opinion, and it's usually the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
We had about a dozen one and done posts here gloating about the name change. Diehard football fans. ;) As for if it was necessary, that will be debatable forever. The Eskimos did numerous studies and polls and found that the majority of the northern folks were fine with the name, even proud with the way it was being used. But there were also some very well organized social media attacks that basically brought it down. There likely isn't an answer to whether the name was offensive to the indigenous people as a whole, as like it is on most issues, it depends on who you talk to, everyone has their own opinion, and it's usually the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.

Pluralities don't matter either. If I remember correctly in the range of 75% of Northern Indigenous people polled were either supportive or had no opinion on "Eskimos."

Despite it being nearly impossible for 75% of people to agree on anything, this still wasn't enough for the mob. In a minority rules ideology, 25% is significant enough to scrap it in their mind. To be honest I'm not sure if they would back down even if there was 99% support. If one soul says it's racist, well then it's racist.

Under this ideology similarly expressed by a poster earlier in this thread, it's up to the majority that are supportive and/or forced into unnecessary change that have to "stop bitching," but the loud, transient minority? They're the ones in the right, their motives can't be questioned, and any pertinent context or nuance isn't worthy of consideration or discussion. It's absolute poison.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I do find it interesting that it almost always seems to be people that are clearly not big football fans lecturing others about getting over the name change.
Not sure if I've ever seen that poster comment on here about actual football or our team. But I do remember him being front and centre about the name change.
Aaron Grymes signs in Winnipeg.
Thought he was long since retired. Maybe the team needs some new hat flair injected in their practices.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

It's funny because what was deemed a more offensive name in "Redskins" was changed and now the indigenous community wants to or is suing to get the name changed back.

It's a bunch of Karens that always start this shit even though the people it refers to don't exactly care too much

Aaron Grymes signs in Winnipeg.
That's an odd one. I know they've had their struggles this year, but seems like an odd signing

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Fun and entertainment are the keys. Nobody likes losers and never ending soap operas.
Losers can be fun if it’s fun to be there, the food and drink are good and affordable. Foods better at the Riverhawks and is cheaper too.

Both teams I could really not care too much about success wise, and I like football more as a sport but I’d go to a Riverhawks game every time over an Elks game.

Last edited:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

Maybe not a massive attendance spike, but I think you'd absolutely win some fans back on name change alone. A total reset is needed at this point. The Elks are 11-45...time to put them out of their misery and just forget it ever happened. Look at the Montreal Alouettes. Fell on hard times in the 80s, changed their name to the Concorde, failed miserably, came back in the 90s as the Alouettes again to great success. There is precedent.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Maybe not a massive attendance spike, but I think you'd absolutely win some fans back on name change alone. A total reset is needed at this point. The Elks are 11-45...time to put them out of their misery and just forget it ever happened. Look at the Montreal Alouettes. Fell on hard times in the 80s, changed their name to the Concorde, failed miserably, came back in the 90s as the Alouettes again to great success. There is precedent.
Possibly.
Just changing their name wouldn’t really fixing things though. It would have to come with a crap ton of changes to address the real issues.
Its why this name change failed so hard too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad