CFL 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Nope, and he hung that ball out there for the world to grab, slow as shit. At least Ford can escape.

It’s amazing that they blow leads like they do.
You notice that of all the great QBs on display today at Commonwealth Stadium, most were very nimble and could roll out of the pocket.

Moon, Allen, Ham, Dunnigan and Reilly could all use their legs as weapons.

In the CFL, if you can't escape the pocket then you had better be a very good passer like Ricky Ray.

As for blowing leads, when you have virtually no experienced or proven defensive backs then you better have a good pass rush--oh no---guess that didn't happen today.

As I said in an earlier post, there is only one guy on the defense--Morgan, who has significant CFL experience--he's the old man on the D at age 27.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
You notice that of all the great QBs on display today at Commonwealth Stadium, most were very nimble and could roll out of the pocket.

Moon, Allen, Ham, Dunnigan and Reilly could all use their legs as weapons.

In the CFL, if you can't escape the pocket then you had better be a very good passer like Ricky Ray.

As for blowing leads, when you have virtually no experienced or proven defensive backs then you better have a good pass rush--oh no---guess that didn't happen today.

As I said in an earlier post, there is only one guy on the defense--Morgan, who has significant CFL experience--he's the old man on the D at age 27
Where did Leake come from?

I surprised they didn’t use Brown more than they did.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

Me too-- Brown didn't have many touches. When he excels then the offence has a chance. He's one of the best in the league. Instead there were all these--way-too- slow (to develop) swing passes.

Leake signed as a free agent with the EE and is one of the best returners in the league but he isn't the go to guy on the run game when you have Kevin Brown.

The EE are simply poorly coached no matter what the Jone's boys say. No one can see what the strategy is.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
No.

That would be Chris Presson.
Jones did enough franchise killing stuff on his own his first time around here. He was the guy that cancelled the K-days tradition of the players going to kids day at the midway and hanging out with kids for a couple hours. He was also responsible for the media having less access to the players. The disconnect between the team and the fans may not have began with Jones in those days (my money has always been on the decision to lift local blackouts and remove the necessity to actually go to games) but it accelerated with him more than anyone else during those times.
Presson was the final nail that killed the Eskimos but they were dying long before he got here.

Reactions: brentashton

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Jones did enough franchise killing stuff on his own his first time around here. He was the guy that cancelled the K-days tradition of the players going to kids day at the midway and hanging out with kids for a couple others. He was also responsible for the media having less access to the players. The disconnect between the team and the fans may not have began with Jones in those days (my money has always been on the decision to lift local blackouts and remove the necessity to actually go to games) but it accelerated with him more than anyone else during those times.
Presson was the final nail that killed the Eskimos but they were dying long before he got here.
I don’t disagree with anything you said. I was just having fun. CJ hasn’t been good for the EE.

Reactions: rboomercat90

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Me too-- Brown didn't have many touches. When he excels then the offence has a chance. He's one of the best in the league. Instead there were all these--way-to- slow (to develop) swing passes.

Leake signed as a free agent with the EE and is one of the best returners in the league but he isn't the go to guy on the run game when you have Kevin Brown.

The EE are simply poorly coached no matter what the Jone's boys say. No one can see what the strategy is.
I was surprised when I saw him taking runs. Then he fumbled, turning point for sure.

Reactions: MoontoScott

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Seems the Oilers watched some football before their game.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
What an amazing event this weekend. The old alumni still have the fire and competitiveness in their eyes and the way they talk. So great to have so many of them together. Pretty much the only quality thing this organization has put together for many, many years, and unfortunately for them, this will be a bit of a one off, and now it's done. As to the team and their performance, Jones and company once again managed to humiliate themselves and the city with a pathetic chokejob and yet another loss to the sad sack Riders. I'm predicting this team will be lucky to manage 5 wins this year. Will Ferrell has a decent arm but zero rollout ability. They keep talking about him as a former Grey Cup champion, but without Chad Kelly leading them to victory after he got hurt, they lose that game. Once and Eskimo always an Eskimo. But I can't stand these frauds or this fraud organization and don't really have a lot of time for them. Judging by the attendance numbers, I don't think I'm alone in that.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
What an amazing event this weekend. The old alumni still have the fire and competitiveness in their eyes and the way they talk. So great to have so many of them together. Pretty much the only quality thing this organization has put together for many, many years, and unfortunately for them, this will be a bit of a one off, and now it's done. As to the team and their performance, Jones and company once again managed to humiliate themselves and the city with a pathetic chokejob and yet another loss to the sad sack Riders. I'm predicting this team will be lucky to manage 5 wins this year. Will Ferrell has a decent arm but zero rollout ability. They keep talking about him as a former Grey Cup champion, but without Chad Kelly leading them to victory after he got hurt, they lose that game. Once and Eskimo always an Eskimo. But I can't stand these frauds or this fraud organization and don't really have a lot of time for them. Judging by the attendance numbers, I don't think I'm alone in that.
Need a change at the very top of the organization. Again, I hope that a deal is waiting in the wings because 5k attendance at a game (even for a Riders game) just doesn't cut it. Sad to see but that's the reality. Yesterday's attendance was influenced by cold weather and the Oiler's game but its not really a statistical outlier.

Last edited:
Reactions: bellagiobob

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Gunslinger MBT was brought in to throw 4 yard checkdowns all afternoon eh?

The defensive implosion in the 4th quarter was on the offense as much as the defense. A turnover at the 16 and then another on their own side of the field put them in a tough spot. Given that there are yet again seven or eight unrecognizable players/rookies in starting positions, 8 points against through 45 minutes was a very good showing up to that point. No pressure on Harris, but the run game was stuffed well.

Don't need to overreact to a week 1 loss where both teams made lots of early season mistakes, but this has been the same book three years running now. Defeat snatched from the jaws of victory in an early season home game against the Riders to set a bad tone and put the team behind the eight ball right off the hop. Next week's game against a strong Als team is now must-win.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

I'm starting to think Brown doesn't play until August. First season he joined the team late had a great second half. Last year, he had more fumbles than big plays in the first 5-8 games then had a hell of a finish. Game 1 this year invisible again.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Gunslinger MBT was brought in to throw 4 yard checkdowns all afternoon eh?

The defensive implosion in the 4th quarter was on the offense as much as the defense. A turnover at the 16 and then another on their own side of the field put them in a tough spot. Given that there are yet again seven or eight unrecognizable players/rookies in starting positions, 8 points against through 45 minutes was a very good showing up to that point. No pressure on Harris, but the run game was stuffed well.

Don't need to overreact to a week 1 loss where both teams made lots of early season mistakes, but this has been the same book three years running now. Defeat snatched from the jaws of victory in an early season home game against the Riders to set a bad tone and put the team behind the eight ball right off the hop. Next week's game against a strong Als team is now must-win.

The team I saw on the field Saturday was better than the team that started last year so I think it's a team that could make noise in the coming out of the bye where 5 of the next 6 are against Ottawa, Hamilton or Saskatchewan. Unfortunately, the damage will already be too severe to save them.

Positives
  • MBT was generally pretty good. Controlled the play most of the game slowly building the 2 TD minus 1 lead. Even after the fumble by Leake, the next drive he got the team deep enough to take the lead back until Bede shit his pants on one of the worst kick attempts I've seen. That said, I didn't like his sack fumble on the next series. Second time we've seen him cough it up on a sack including the pre-season game.
  • Oline did a good job of giving MBT time to throw. However, they either did nothing to create holes for the running game or we have to consider that Brown maybe doesn't like to play ball before August as his start last year was also horrible.
  • Dline surprisingly shut down Ouelette, which is a welcome sight to see
  • The secondary did pretty decently for the first 45 minutes creating 3 turnovers and limiting the big play. Unfortunately, once there was a crack, they completely fell apart. Hopefully we see more of the first 45 minutes from that unit.
  • Punting.. I like Julien last year and thought he was being somewhat underrated because of the fact a lot of his kicks inside the 10 bounced the wrong way creating way more singles than he likely deserved. He looked better at it and when you need him to really boot one, he's shown that he can do it.
Negatives
  • The team just can not stop the bleeding when it happens. All they needed when the Rider made it 21-15 was a drive with 3-5 first downs and hopefully at least a field goal, and your in a much stronger position to close out that game, but your running back fumbles the ball away on the first play deep in your zone putting your defense onto roller skates.
  • Special teams coverages. For f***s sakes. We finally have a guy that looks dangerous but that doesn't matter if you get called for illegal blocks or holding on every f***ing return.
  • Special teams coverages. Saskatchewan's returner looked like he could have scored 3 TDs if not for his teammates being as stupid as the Elks taking penalties killing those big plays.
  • Bede. You simply cannot miss that kick that badly. I can live with a guy missing one from time to time, but that wasn't even close for distance or direction on a kick that's supposed to be in his range.
Ultimately, I feel more hopeful with this game than I did after Game 1 last year. Unfortunately, the next 3 games are against likely 3 of the best 4 teams in the league. If the team can find a win in these 3 games and make games out of the others, they have a chance to make a decent run after the bye, but that won't matter much in terms of getting people into the building as a 1-3 or 0-4 record will be all the general public sees.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The team I saw on the field Saturday was better than the team that started last year so I think it's a team that could make noise in the coming out of the bye where 5 of the next 6 are against Ottawa, Hamilton or Saskatchewan. Unfortunately, the damage will already be too severe to save them.

Positives
  • MBT was generally pretty good. Controlled the play most of the game slowly building the 2 TD minus 1 lead. Even after the fumble by Leake, the next drive he got the team deep enough to take the lead back until Bede shit his pants on one of the worst kick attempts I've seen. That said, I didn't like his sack fumble on the next series. Second time we've seen him cough it up on a sack including the pre-season game.
  • Oline did a good job of giving MBT time to throw. However, they either did nothing to create holes for the running game or we have to consider that Brown maybe doesn't like to play ball before August as his start last year was also horrible.
  • Dline surprisingly shut down Ouelette, which is a welcome sight to see
  • The secondary did pretty decently for the first 45 minutes creating 3 turnovers and limiting the big play. Unfortunately, once there was a crack, they completely fell apart. Hopefully we see more of the first 45 minutes from that unit.
  • Punting.. I like Julien last year and thought he was being somewhat underrated because of the fact a lot of his kicks inside the 10 bounced the wrong way creating way more singles than he likely deserved. He looked better at it and when you need him to really boot one, he's shown that he can do it.
Negatives
  • The team just can not stop the bleeding when it happens. All they needed when the Rider made it 21-15 was a drive with 3-5 first downs and hopefully at least a field goal, and your in a much stronger position to close out that game, but your running back fumbles the ball away on the first play deep in your zone putting your defense onto roller skates.
  • Special teams coverages. For f***s sakes. We finally have a guy that looks dangerous but that doesn't matter if you get called for illegal blocks or holding on every f***ing return.
  • Special teams coverages. Saskatchewan's returner looked like he could have scored 3 TDs if not for his teammates being as stupid as the Elks taking penalties killing those big plays.
  • Bede. You simply cannot miss that kick that badly. I can live with a guy missing one from time to time, but that wasn't even close for distance or direction on a kick that's supposed to be in his range.
Ultimately, I feel more hopeful with this game than I did after Game 1 last year. Unfortunately, the next 3 games are against likely 3 of the best 4 teams in the league. If the team can find a win in these 3 games and make games out of the others, they have a chance to make a decent run after the bye, but that won't matter much in terms of getting people into the building as a 1-3 or 0-4 record will be all the general public sees.

I agree with your general sentiment. They at least look a little more polished than last year's Week 1 edition, even if that's almost entirely attributable to MBT and 3rd year Ford being light years better options at QB than Corn and rookie Doege. I'd like to see Ford have a bigger role in the offense. The one thing the team can say is they've probably got two of the top 7-ish QBs in the league...make use of it. There's no reason this shouldn't be a top-half offense this season at a minimum.

Should have a slightly better idea of where the defense stands after another week of games. My biggest fear is that this was a battle of two bad teams and the Als come in here and hang 40+ points on Friday and then it's here-we-go-again. This many rookies/sophomores on defense is almost unfathomable. They certainly missed Purifoy in the middle of the backfield. Good chance one of those Rider majors on busted coverage doesn't happen with an experienced vet back there.

Leake's fumble really was brutal and couldn't have come at a worse time. Not an exaggeration to say it decided the game, it was practically a free touchdown. Need to stop being the bad team that finds a way to lose.

Reactions: bone

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
Bone, MBT also fumbled the ball near midfield turning it over for when we were moving to make it a three possession game. Did he not?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Bone, MBT also fumbled the ball near midfield turning it over for when we were moving to make it a three possession game. Did he not?

Yeah he did. His fumble did lead to the 29-21 lead (two possession game). That play is certainly a concern as it's the second pressure fumble he's had counting pre-season. I hope that isn't a pattern.

The only bit of leeway I'm giving him here is that if we had hit the Field Goal it would have been 24-22 when that play happens and maybe he makes the safer play and just eats the sack. But as a veteran he needs to realize even eating the sack down by one point is fine in that situation as there was still quite a bit of time to work with.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
We signed Tevin (not Terry) Jones and Toronto released Oakman. Come on Jonsie!

And we play MTL tomorrow
Tomorrow's game is pretty much as much a must win as any game 2 in the history of the franchise.

Lose this one at home with the prospect of going into Toronto who will be coming off a bye and a season opener that had them put up 35 on a good BC defense followed by BC Place where they've been outscored 127-29 under Jones and 170-39 overall in their last 4 trips.

They could quite easily be 0-4 and humiliated by the time the team has another game in Commonwealth. Pretty impossible to sell tickets to that Ottawa game in that situation and pretty impossible to go into that game with the fans ready to cheer you on even if they play well in that game.

Win tomorrow and at least it gives the hometown fans a decent feeling after beating the defending Grey Cup champs, and maybe those positive vibes get you one more win in either of those road games or at least a positive showing in them giving fans hope that the 6 game stretch with 5 of the games being vs. Hamilton, Ottawa and Saskatchewan could be enough to actually care about the results of the Labour Day weekend games and the 4 home games they have to finish the final 6 games of the season.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Tomorrow's game is pretty much as much a must win as any game 2 in the history of the franchise.

Lose this one at home with the prospect of going into Toronto who will be coming off a bye and a season opener that had them put up 35 on a good BC defense followed by BC Place where they've been outscored 127-29 under Jones and 170-39 overall in their last 4 trips.

They could quite easily be 0-4 and humiliated by the time the team has another game in Commonwealth. Pretty impossible to sell tickets to that Ottawa game in that situation and pretty impossible to go into that game with the fans ready to cheer you on even if they play well in that game.

Win tomorrow and at least it gives the hometown fans a decent feeling after beating the defending Grey Cup champs, and maybe those positive vibes get you one more win in either of those road games or at least a positive showing in them giving fans hope that the 6 game stretch with 5 of the games being vs. Hamilton, Ottawa and Saskatchewan could be enough to actually care about the results of the Labour Day weekend games and the 4 home games they have to finish the final 6 games of the season.

Unfortunately I feel like going 0-4 or 0-5 every year is basically fait accompli with the degree of turnover we have every single year. I mean, other teams have it too, but like this? I think I recognize one name on defence. I know one solitary receiver.

IMO it isn't possible to come out of the gate playing well even if your roster has talent if pretty much nobody is familiar with the team, the playbook, or each other more importantly.

I feel like the season is telegraphing towards another abysmal first half only for the second half to look somewhat promising giving hope, then having it fail when 40 players are getting turned over again. Rinse and repeat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad