GDT: Cesko vs USA

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Well, someone heard me :laugh:

Let's meet in the final
Imagine if it was a Czech vs Swiss final after the squads the Swedes, US and Canada sent?lol

Good luck with Canada. Last time was damn close. Swedes are the fav again against us. Their D is so much better.

Reactions: Goodman68

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
Our version of Bud Spencer is unleashing payback for years of generational trauma of our national teams being physically bullied by NA teams.

Jo.
Now the question is, do people in north America know who Bud Spencer is?
I know he was big in Germany and even here in Norway I met some fans, but did his fame cross the ocean?
I am genuinely curious about the fame of one of Italy's best export

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Imagine if it was a Czech vs Swiss final after the squads the Swedes, US and Canada sent?lol

Good luck with Canada. Last time was damn close. Swedes are the fav again against us. Their D is so much better.
The Swedes can't score. You may win.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
The Swedes can't score. You may win.
We have to run the table.most likely... US, Sweden and Canada (maybe.. Swiss are very good).

And that sounds crazy but that is Nagano and 2010.

Do I think it will happen? f*** no.

Saablic

Feb 8, 2017
Czech Republic
What a match. We should have scored some in 1st period, that was a solid game from our team. After taking the lead, USA went hard for it, but our defense and mainly Dostál, closed the door. Both goalies were great. I was a little bit worried about our D-mans, especially without Hronek, Jiříček or Ticháček. Krejčík gave me some heart attack situations. I think it was a deserved victory, we had several very clear scoring chances, hit 3 goal posts, little bit lucky goal, but that´s ice hockey.

Swipes

Ice Hockey World Champions 2024!
Apr 13, 2010
I'm pretty sure both Sweden and us didn't make it to the quarter since 2018 where we played against each other in the final and we actually beat Connor Mcdavid's Canada in the semi lol
Saw the game live, was a great win for the Swiss!

I think it will be Canada vs Czechia in the GMG. It will be GREAT !!!
Would be a great gold medal game if it happens. Would be also nice to win for once!

Reactions: Czechboy

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
I could barely breathe during this game. I was almost sure the Czechs either score the 2nd goal or the US score the equalizer. Didn't expect the 1-0 final score. When the Czech team hit the post for the 3rd time (Nečas with his empty net attempt), my reaction was "damn, this is the fate, now the US are going to score." Only after they last US icing with some 8 seconds remaining I was 100 % sure they can't do it.

It was a very good tactical effort. The whole team was playing a responsible game with a minimum of mistakes. I don't remember any really grave mistake from this game. They completely avoided dangerous turnovers and odd man rushes against them. The end of the 2nd and most of the 3rd period were extremely defensive, sometimes I was thinking to myself "this is even too passive." But the team was working well in terms of the own zone coverage. The US barely got any room in the slot. Even Pastrňák as a typical offensive player was working well defensively. He was solid on the backcheck and in disabling the US players from shooting opportunities by staying close to them.

Lukáš Dostál was the hero of the game for sure. He didn't have to make any miraculous saves, but the saves he made were all confident, precise, with almost zero rebounds allowed. 36 good saves and no big mistake. A very similar performance like the players in front of him. Really well done.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I could barely breathe during this game.

I don't remember any really grave mistake from this game.

He didn't have to make any miraculous saves,
All of this. I aged 20 years today.

I don't like our D core but they have had a great tourney. I can't name any exceptional type blunders or breakdowns. Solid but not spectacular.

Dostal cleaned up a lot of messes but he didn't have to make any insane saves. He just did his job beautifully.

Curious if Rulik switches up tactics against Sweden after back to back (successful IMO) games against Canada and US?

Reactions: Goodman68

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

Can you imagine if Tkachuk did this to Pasta? There would've been a riot.lol

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Amazing stuff!!!!!! I did not expect this. This is the one game every year that gives Czech fans nightmares and heart attacks. Whatever happens in the round robin, you win this game and the tournament was a success (whatever happens next - we don’t have the luxury of gold medals in recent years so making it to the semifinals is success, period). You lose this game, and the tournament was an abject failure. From now on, anything good that might happen is just a bonus.

Plus with this home crowd, I am so pleased they get two more games watching their team play.

Can you imagine if Tkachuk did this to Pasta? There would've been a riot.lol

Tkachuk actually praised Gudas’s performance after the game.

A Czech player said in an interview (I forget who, too lazy to check) afterwards that Gudas dealt with many of the provocations that came from the American team, it was part of his job and he did it quite effectively.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Amazing stuff!!!!!! I did not expect this. This is the one game every year that gives Czech fans nightmares and heart attacks. Whatever happens in the round robin, you win this game and the tournament was a success (whatever happens next - we don’t have the luxury of gold medals in recent years so making it to the semifinals is success, period). You lose this game, and the tournament was an abject failure. From now on, anything good that might happen is just a bonus.

Plus with this home crowd, I am so pleased they get two more games watching their team play.

Tkachuk actually praised Gudas’s performance after the game.

A Czech player said in an interview (I forget who, too lazy to check) afterwards that Gudas dealt with many of the provocations if the American team, it was part of his job and he did it quite effectively.
To me... Gudas was our best D today. He did so much of the hard work and little things. Krejcik was very good. I really enjoyed Hajek today believe it or not. Kempny you don't notice at all and then realize he led the D in minutes. Very effective tbh.

I definitely was having heart palpitations watching.lol

Agree.. Bronze, Silver or Gold and I'm ecstatic. So happy we all get to see these guys 2 more games. I'm relatively relaxed going into the next 2 games.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
To me... Gudas was our best D today. He did so much of the hard work and little things. Krejcik was very good. I really enjoyed Hajek today believe it or not. Kempny you don't notice at all and then realize he led the D in minutes. Very effective tbh.

I definitely was having heart palpitations watching.lol

Agree.. Bronze, Silver or Gold and I'm ecstatic. So happy we all get to see these guys 2 more games. I'm relatively relaxed going into the next 2 games.
Agree with all that. The quarter finals give me worse nerves than a gold medal game. Sure it sucks losing in a final, but you know that no matter what, it’s already been a success because a silver medal is worth a lot to us. But a quarter final defeat always feels like so much work was put into the tournament and it was for absolutely nothing.

Because let’s face it - a quarterfinal is simply the bare minimum, no Czech considers it an achievement. The way there is not always pretty but we ALWAYS make it. (In contrast, the 7th place of the Slovaks this year is their best final position since 2012!! Weird for such a strong team, isn’t it?)

So everything is about this one game. And we won it, now I can finally relax.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Agree with all that. The quarter finals give me worse nerves than a gold medal game. Sure it sucks losing in a final, but you know that no matter what, it’s already been a success because a silver medal is worth a lot to us. But a quarter final defeat always feels like so much work was put into the tournament and it was for absolutely nothing.

Because let’s face it - a quarterfinal is simply the bare minimum, no Czech considers it an achievement. The way there is not always pretty but we ALWAYS make it. (In contrast, the 7th place of the Slovaks this year is their best final position since 2012!! Weird for such a strong team, isn’t it?)

So everything is about this one game. And we won it, now I can finally relax.
Amen.. very excited for Sweden. I think they're better but I really like our squad. I have very little to complain about.

I rewatched our GWG... what a shitshow... Spacek to a US jersey to Zacha's rib... Puck never even made the back of the net... maybe 6 inches deep.lol That's the winner. US have every right to be pissed.lol

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Amen.. very excited for Sweden. I think they're better but I really like our squad. I have very little to complain about.

I rewatched our GWG... what a shitshow... Spacek to a US jersey to Zacha's rib... Puck never even made the back of the net... maybe 6 inches deep.lol That's the winner. US have every right to be pissed.lol
Nah, that’s hockey. Weird goals like this are suffered by all teams once in a while, I have seen those sorts of weird goals scored on us, lots of unintentional deflections. I only get pissed when the referees mess up and a legitimate goal is not given or an illegitimate one is awarded.

Real shame Cervenka’s shot against the post didn’t go in - 2:0 and the team gets to calm down a bit. But all that matters is the end result.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
To steal a line from that Juuse Saros commercial, "No goals."

All that offensive skill and other than Brady Tkachuk not a whole lot of willingness to go into hard areas.

The thought of watching the Zegrases and Hugheses representing the USA for the next decade is not an encouraging one.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
To steal a line from that Juuse Saros commercial, "No goals."

All that offensive skill and other than Brady Tkachuk not a whole lot of willingness to go into hard areas.

The thought of watching the Zegrases and Hugheses representing the USA for the next decade is not an encouraging one.
Zegras does have a lot of energy. But he seems to devote most of it to complaining to the refs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad