Confirmed with Link: CBJ trade Texier to St Louis for a 2025 4th round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
If Texier wanted to really be here, I would imagine they'd love to keep him around on a cheap contract, but I have trouble envisioning why Texier would want that, to me this seems like a pretty standard case of a player wanting another chance to prove himself after failing to do that in his first team - and let's face it, the last few years the Jackets has not been a team where it's easy to do that. He might have better luck with a team which is already playing functioning hockey and winning some games.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
After settling back into the NHL over his first 15-20 games upon return, he played at nearly a 0.5 ppg pace. I liked his skill set and thought he was more than a 4th line option. That said, he endured some tragedy and may not have really fit back in. Who knows. What we do know is that he wasn't part of the vision and I've seen enough on here to know paying a 4th line guy $2.1MM wouldn't go over well. I have to think they negotiated and learned he was going to cost more than cbj wanted to pay someone they viewed as a 4th line fit.

I'm a little sad because I liked him, but I won't lose sleep and hope he does well

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
That is exactly what this roster is loaded with - grinders who have reached their ceiling. And there are better, younger, faster, cheaper, players with potentially higher ceilings.

What does it say about the current roster that the grinder Texier was the 6th highest scoring forward on the team last year?

I'll support any trade that improves the team in the long run but trading Texier for a pick that you hope ends up being a Texier type guy just feels like making a move for the sake of making a move. If Texier's roster spot and his whopping $2.1m cap hit was the difference between signing a vet or not then just go with a healthy scratch rotation. It's not like there won't be someone on the IR anyways and if there isn't this team has plenty of waiver exempt guys it could send to Cleveland in a paper transaction.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
On a big wing since
Oh come off it. What a ridiculous horse to ride around on.

You could make the argument that the Kolesar trade was a big part of the reason the 21-22 Jackets were, let’s say “timid” for lack of a better term, because they never replaced him. Then after trading Foligno and Savard, our “tough guy” was Peeke which wasn’t good or the team or Peeke. So we had to sign Gudbranson and trade for Olivier in reactionary moves.

Meanwhile Las Vegas, which has been praised by many for their ability to build a team, saw a need and addressed it by offering a 2nd round pick for a former 3rd round pick who was developing nicely.

I think you need a variety of guys in your pipeline, and my biggest CBJ critique lately is we don’t have that. Meanwhile we ended up with Foudy, Bemstrom, Texier, etc hoping one would become a decent center and none of them did. We held onto all 3 too long until they had almost no value because they were just mediocre guys.

Reactions: EspenK

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
The hidden factor remains...did the guy want out? Did he ask out and we helped? Would his attitude have been to the detriment of creating a tighter room? The GM knows and it may be between them.

I say jettison anyone not pulling the oars in the same direction.
Its quite possible. news of his contract extension with St. Louis got out before the trade was even confirmed so there were some behind the scenes dealings there.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The hidden factor remains...did the guy want out? Did he ask out and we helped? Would his attitude have been to the detriment of creating a tighter room? The GM knows and it may be between them.

I say jettison anyone not pulling the oars in the same direction.
I would not be shocked at all if Texier requested out.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
He's a dude who may get better. We still have plenty of other dudes who also may get better. As romantic as I am about keeping and developing "our" guys you just can't keep them all.

(I still reserve the right to be pissed if he turns into William Karlsson)

Reactions: Xoggz22

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I would not be shocked at all if Texier requested out.
Considering if he was offered sheeted we could had gotten a 3rd and the raw speed this was done felt like this was Texier's camp pushing this agenda and Waddell had to take the 4th to get something of value on an already lost asset.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Considering if he was offered sheeted we could had gotten a 3rd and the raw speed this was done felt like this was Texier's camp pushing this agenda and Waddell had to take the 4th to get something of value on an already lost asset.
I don't thik he "had" to take it.

I do not see an offer sheet on a 2 million dollar contract as an option for anybody. St. Louis is clearly willing to pay him that amount but maybe they wren't willing to part wit the 3rd and therefore would have never offered the contract. We clearly weren't going to hold out and play hardball for an offer sheet that was never going to come.

The 4th is fine. It just seems like a fair good faith negotiation to help Texier perhaps pick a place he would have liked to go and negotiate before the period without the hassle of the offer sheet process. It helps us clear roster and cap space. It gets him a payday that he wouldn't have got here and an opportunity somewhere else. The Blues are not going to be good so maybe he'll have an opportunity to play higher in the lineup.

Reactions: Indy18

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
The whole offer sheet discussion isn't realistic view of Waddell’s option. In the last 10 years there have been only two offer sheets, both intertwined in the pissing contest between Montreal and Carolina and only one involved the player being moved.

Reactions: LJ7 and Monk

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Good luck Tex!
When he left the team I lost my affinity for him. Doesn't mean he may not be a good player but IMO he is very replaceable.

I guess we're doomed since we "lost the trade". I mean the great Jarmo won nearly every trade, and without him the days of dreaming about the playoffs seem to be over for many... :)

Waddell will hopefully get the right guys on and of the bus. You don't finish as badly as we did by having a ton of guys that needed to be on the bus. I have no ide if Tex was right/wrong but I have to trust Waddell on this one.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I think it says alot for the passion of the CBJ fandom! Attendance confirms that statement.
They should feel fortunate for that type of support for what we've been served...
There good passion and bad passion...

Like right now you don't wanna be this guy on twitter who is about ready to have a mental breakdown this weekend: x.com

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
According to posts here we should just play with 3 lines. Trade away all the 4th line players.
There were probably 6 or so 4th liners on the CBJ most of the time last year. Plenty of that group to trade.

Danforth-Kuraly-Olivier. That's the 4th line. If one gets hurt, call up someone from Cleveland or scour the waiver wire.

4th liners are the ultimate hockey commodity. They're everywhere and they're cheap.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
There were probably 6 or so 4th liners on the CBJ most of the time last year. Plenty of that group to trade.

Danforth-Kuraly-Olivier. That's the 4th line. If one gets hurt, call up someone from Cleveland or scour the waiver wire.

4th liners are the ultimate hockey commodity. They're everywhere and they're cheap.
I agree.
We need some young players developing on the 3rd/4th lines and the right veterans (which likely includes a contract or two for a vet making $1M). Now you need the heart and soul players and you can overpay for them as needed.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Palmu

Apr 10, 2019
Finland

4th liners are everywhere yes but good ones are not. There was a long period of time when we had horrible 4th line (Campbell, Skille, Bourque, Tropp etc). Now we actually had very good combination of guys in Texier-Kuraly-Danforth. I don't see Olivier as a regular 82 games guy. Good as a 13th forward.

I get that we need to make changes, but breaking that 4th line won't bring any significant improvments. We need to make changes higher in the lineup.

That being said, I think Texier wanted a trade. Otherwise this just doesnt make any sense to me.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I guess my only gripe is why do the deal now if it's for a 2025 pick? To me this screams of two thoughts...Tex wasn't going to be qualified, which seems unlikely, or the request was made for a trade.

If he wasn't viewed as anything more than a 4th line guy, then he's easily replaced. If the ask was $2.1AAV, then I don't think that's needed. I mean look how many of you gripe about Kuraly's deal and how that impacted the young players. He took a spot, etc. Well... maybe that's how Waddell felt about Tex? And he wants a veteran to better help the young players. Tex was not likely that type of player to keep.

At this point... who knows, but I don't think this is a move to judge the body of work by. I look at the draft and see a very different approach on the players of the future. Small sample, but big change

Reactions: EspenK

Heavy Metal Jackets

Jan 9, 2021
Land of Cheese
Texier was one of my favorites we've had recently. He has a good combo of grit, skill, and speed. That being said I think he was very inconsistent from game to game. Not sure if it was him/coaching or both. Seemed like for a couple games he'd make a big impact forechecking and in the corners and then disappear work ethic wise for a few games. Also felt he missed the net a lot, but our team's had that problem for years. Best of luck to him in St. Louis!

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Not only have we iced some terrible 4th lines over the years - as mentioned above the Tropp, Campbell era - but I'm recalling some years McDavid's Oilers missed the playoffs in large part because of bottom six lines that were each -20.

Yeah you can get a 4th liner anytime you want but they might be a lot worse than Danforth or Olivier.

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,564.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1