Votes: 42 26.9%
  • Good value

Votes: 13 8.3%

• Total voters

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I would consider Sillinger as the + if it meant Marner comes with an extension. Provorov (50% retained) and a pick/prospect could also work depending on how Toronto would want to fill out their roster. Don’t see the value for Columbus to acquire Marner as a rental, though.
I want to object to Sillinger, partly because I want to keep our Young Center Depth overstrength in case of disaster but mostly because I'm irrationally attached to the idea of making him a lifelong Jacket in contrast to his father's career. ;)

Reactions: Xoggz22

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Columbus says no, no way a rebuilding team gives up Jiricek. Marner for Laine+ is a good base, but the difference isn't Jiricek.
Actually it's in favor of Columbus Laine is injured often. Jirecek is decent but still uncertain and been defensive liability for Columbus AHL team with +- of -16 this season.. Also, only has 10 points in 47 NHL games with -8 +-. Columbus would take that instantly then would look for goal scoring center to drive the line with Gaudreau. Someone like Carter Verhaeghe to score the goals.

Last edited:

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Actually it's in favor of Columbus Laine is injured often. Jirecek is decent but still uncertain and been defensive liability for Columbus AHL team with +- of -16 this season.. Also, only has 10 points in 47 NHL games with -8 +-. Columbus would take that instantly then would look for goal scoring center to drive the line with Gaudreau. Someone like Carter Verhaeghe to score the goals.

Yeah bro everyone on HF knows the objective fact that +/- is literally the only indicator of a Defenseman's Defensive capability.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Laine and Marner both have reduced value at the moment and are unlikely to return to their current teams. Both teams stay young, change the core, and get back pieces that can make them better immediately as well as moving forward. Columbus upgrades on forward, Toronto upgrades on D. Is the upgrade from Marner to Laine similar to that between Jiricek and Liljegren?

Columbus gets a reliable 100 point Selke caliber winger, and a 25 year old top 4 RHD with strong underlying numbers.
Toronto adds size and scoring up front, and gets a blue chip RHD prospect that can play immediately.

To CBJ: Marner, Liljegren

To TOR: Laine, Jiricek

Laine's value isn't reduced it's shot, both by the contract and the fact he's coming out of the player assistance program.

Also while Jiricek SHOULD be better than Lilly we don't actually know that yet.

That's not to say I wouldn't take a chance on Laine because I would, the talent is undeniable but I don't think Laine gets you Marner right now.

Reactions: Gilmour1996

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Do you reckon there are a lot of NHL teams with this goal?
Figuring 50% of the League will miss the playoffs and 100% of those non-playoff teams would benefit, at least somewhat, from a playoff berth. At least as far as gaining additional playoff revenue goes, it's a no-brainer.

In addition, putting a name-brand player on the ice would be a regular season boost for a like-minded team. Putting more bodies in seats during the regular season and tacking on at least 2 revenue-generating playoff games in the picture...gotta figure a few teams would bite at that sort of bait.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If Toronto, with the help of a third team, had acquired Laine in Marner trade, hfboards would have fallen. :D

Reactions: illone84

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Laine wouldn't even get you Ryan Reaves right now. Forget about Marner.
Of course, 1 PPG player with the best PPG in the team two seasons, include season with Gaudreau, playing with top NHL centers as Jenner and especially Roslovic (who is a winger more) and offensive monsters in defense as Peeke, Gudbranson and Berni does not count NHL star Ryan Reaves... God level analysis.:D

P.S. it would be interesting to watch Marner's play before defensive like our in the last season:
Lumii_20240618_150040136.jpg

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Zero interest in Laine. Hope he rebounds somewhere else, but not interested in that player at that cap hit, as funny as it would admittedly be to see him on the same team with Matthews. Hasn't played a full NHL season since 2018-2019 with the Jets. Not what we're looking for.

Jiricek is obviously valuable. Columbus has some interesting young pieces, but I don't really see a deal here. The Jackets already have a pass-first winger on a big contract in Gaudreau. I would think if they do part with significant assets, it'll be for a two-way center of some kind.

Marner doesn't seem like a great fit for Columbus, and I don't think Columbus is a particularly good fit for Marner (in that I doubt he'd waive).

Reactions: illone84

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Laine is a very bad pickup for any team ...elite shooter (when he feels like it) and has averaged less than 50 games over the pas 5 seasons, and we dont even know if he will play another game.

Marner does NOT have diminished value, he is still one of the top 5ish RW in the game, and fans complaining about him online doesnt reduce his real world value or what other GM's think of him.
He instantly makes any team he is on better, and everyone on his line, Laine, doesnt.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Obvious hypothetical but if I were the Leafs I'd trade Jarnkrok back to Dubas for Puljujarvi.

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Domi
Laine - Nylander - Puljujarvi
Knies - Tavares - McMann

Main reason for Toronto is to upgrade their D with Jiricek. I think there's a risk/reward element with Laine, and Puljuarvi that presents the most upside if you do end up trading Marner.
Lmao at Nylander playing center, let's try it for the 18th time maybe it works this time around.

Throw the whole proposal out after this comment, Puljujarvi? Come on man

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Obvious hypothetical but if I were the Leafs I'd trade Jarnkrok back to Dubas for Puljujarvi.

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Domi
Laine - Nylander - Puljujarvi
Knies - Tavares - McMann

Main reason for Toronto is to upgrade their D with Jiricek. I think there's a risk/reward element with Laine, and Puljuarvi that presents the most upside if you do end up trading Marner.
1. Puljujarvi isn't a top 6 guy anymore. This is coming from someone who's been rooting for him his entire career and watched him last year. It's just not there. A sub $1mil contract and a 4th line role is what he is and needs to be. There will be nothing but disappointment if you put him at RW with Laine and Nylander. Full disclosure, I would have been foaming at the mouth for a Laine-Puljujarvi wing set circa 2016 as I was very high on both.

2. Penguins can't take Jarnkrok unless you're taking back one of Eller or Acciari. We have two Jarnkroks. We don't (read can't) need a third. But if you wanted to make it Acciari+Puljujarvi for Jarnkrok, I would do that.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
New poll should be “Would Marner waive his NMC for Columbus”

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
3.5m in cap space would go a long ways and even more if Mitch gets that 13.5 he wants so badly. The spotlight in Toronto would probably be horrible for Laine though.

The leafs taking a bit of a loss on the return of Marner wouldn’t be bad because freeing up capsace is valuable. No way Marner moves his NMC to go to the blue jackets though.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
Yeah.... there is an insane gulf between Marner and Laine.

This trade is a complete non-starter.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I wouldn't think the Jackets would even consider trading Jiricek. Nor should they.

Marner for Laine straight up is a massive win for the Jackets unquestionably, but I don't think Marner is worth Jiricek alone.

I think the Jackets will find a taker for Laine for pretty much no return. If someone took Dubois, then someone will take Laine. If I was a GM I'm not taking either without a sweetener.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad