Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
to Toronto Maple Leafs
ERIK GUDBRANSON (2y @ $4.0m)
JUSTIN DANFORTH (1y @ $1.1m)

to Columbus Blue Jackets
TIMOTHY LILJEGREN (2y @ $3.0m)
DAVID KÄMPF (3y @ $2.4m)

Columbus moves on from Gudbranson, as it's probably time to do so. They get a younger D with some 2nd pairing potential who has more trade value than Guddy if you end up flipping him. They're probably reshaping their 4th line soon anyways, and Kämpf can be part of that for 2 or 3 years. They take on Kämpf's term in exchange for getting the younger more valuable D in the swap.

Toronto swaps out Kämpf's 3 year term for a 1 year contract guy and makes their 4th line / press box situation more flexible. They cash in on whatever potential Liljegren has left in him, who it's time to move on from. They don't take on any cap. Gudbranson and Timmins can compete to be the #6 D.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Nope. He's still plenty reliable (so long as you limit his duties) and a locker room leader.
If Toronto added a low draft pick, would that be tempting?

Gudbranson isn't in CBJ long term plans, so unless they think he's crucial to the locker room, I don't see why a rebuilding team wouldn't want to swap him for a younger RD with 2nd pair potential (who could also be flipped for a pick or prospect later on).

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think that'd actually qualify as insulting. :)
Gudbranson isn't in CBJ long term plans, so unless they think he's crucial to the locker room, I don't see why a rebuilding team wouldn't want to swap him for a younger RD with 2nd pair potential (who could also be flipped for a pick or prospect later on).
He's absolutely in the team's plans because we need guys like that for the kids to learn from. The simple truth is that Liljegren is just not interesting, and Danforth is preferable to Kampf.

Reactions: Fatass and CBJx614

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Gudbranson has become a leader in the locker room, he's not going anywhere anytime soon and neither is Danforth.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
He's absolutely in the team's plans because we need guys like that for the kids to learn from.

To clarify, what I was referring to was :

- Severson signed long term and more capable of playing top pairing minutes than Gudbranson
- Jiricek seems to be in the long term plans, barring a big trade
- Unless he isn't developing well, I know that Carson Ceulemans requires waivers starting Oct 2026, and would be one of the CBJ RD from that point. 2026 is the same summer that Gudbranson's contract ends.

That means (unless something above isn't accurate) that you'd have to sell Gudbranson on extending in Columbus to play (or press box) behind three other RD. Can you convince him to do that? Otherwise he's leaving in 2 years.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

- Severson signed long term and more capable of playing top pairing minutes than Gudbranson
- Unless he isn't developing well, I know that Carson Ceulemans requires waivers starting Oct 2026, and would be one of the CBJ RD from that point. 2026 is the same summer that Gudbranson's contract ends.

That means (unless something above isn't accurate) that you'd have to sell Gudbranson on extending in Columbus to play (or press box) behind three other RD. Can you convince him to do that? Otherwise he's leaving in 2 years.
See bolded. EDIT: And you're offering Liljegren, so top-pairing minutes capability is hardly part of this debate.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

There's not a single defender on the team that brings what does. He may not get extended, but that doesn't mean we should move him. Jiricek can't beat Johnson for a spot, let alone Gudbranson.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Why in the world would Columbus do this? Liljigen has no value. At least Gudbranson is tough as nails and can fight. That’s a lot more than lilgigren adds. And Kampf is a cap dump.
The Leafs are stuck with Lili for this year and next unless they swallow some of his contract and (or) add sugar to any trade.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Gudbranson will bgg e 34 when contract ends. If columbus 2 young RD are ready come 26/27 they can keep gudbranson another yr or so to semi coach them in a 7D role

Liljegren does not have that value.
Kmapf is a cap dump.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I would do this for Columbus if it is a 1 for 1 Liljegren for Gudbranson trade with an expiring contract from the Leafs side to balance out the cap. Kampf has too much term for what he brings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad