Line Combos: CBJ Roster Discussion/Line Combos/Injury Report (Elvis healthy; Greaves to CLE)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
plenty of others have picked up on it and it was especially clear after last year's debacle against washington that he is not well-liked in the room.
Allegedly. We've still seen no concrete reporting on this. Only conjecture and assumptions.

At least we knew Krzysztof Oliwa was hated and Lyle Odelien beat him up for being a douche. We just keep being told Elvis is a bad person.

So far Elvis just seems to be guilty of being a guy who has confidence in himself until he doesn't. Not everyone on the team has to be best friends but if he was truly hated everyone would have just pelted the sh*t out him in their end of season paintball outing last year. I've seen or heard no evidence of starting fights in the locker room or trying to steal someone's wife or anything heinous like that.

Jarmo isn't here anymore and I believe he was the purveyor of this public hate for him more than anyone. Jarmo held grudges like a true Bond villain.

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
Allegedly. We've still seen no concrete reporting on this. Only conjecture and assumptions.

At least we knew Krzysztof Oliwa was hated and Lyle Odelien beat him up for being a douche. We just keep being told Elvis is a bad person.

So far Elvis just seems to be guilty of being a guy who has confidence in himself until he doesn't. Not everyone on the team has to be best friends but if he was truly hated everyone would have just pelted the sh*t out him in their end of season paintball outing last year. I've seen or heard no evidence of starting fights in the locker room or trying to steal someone's wife or anything heinous like that.

Jarmo isn't here anymore and I believe he was the purveyor of this public hate for him more than anyone. Jarmo held grudges like a true Bond villain.
Any resemblance to Dr. Evil is purely coincidental.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I do not think Jiříček looks extra, but Harris is not good now. So, I am glad David should play.

If I understand right, Sillinger should play with Monahan and Marchenko because he plays a similar style like Jenner. Although I agree with @majormajor . Especially if Sillinger and Chinakhov have very good chemistry and Marchenko with Adam.

Fantilli - Monahan - Marchenko
Pyyhtiä - Sillinger - Chinakhov

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

He doesn't have to have stolen anyone's wife for there to have been a problem in the locker room with him last year. Sources on the team had told Porty that there was a problem. Porty doesn't have to tell you all the juicy details for you to believe that. There are good reasons to not share everything. I honestly don't get what you're objecting to here.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
sure, and if by 'concrete reporting' you mean getting elvis's teammates on the record as saying that they don't like him, you're never going to actually get that.

there are other ways to source reports, as portzline has done, and just because it falls short of the impossibly high standard of "getting a teammate to openly talk shit about him to a reporter" doesn't mean that the reporting isn't properly vetted or true.

If I understand right, Sillinger should play with Monahan and Marchenko because he plays a similar style like Jenner. Although I agree with @majormajor . Especially if Sillinger and Chinakhov have very good chemistry and Marchenko with Adam.

Fantilli - Monahan - Marchenko
Pyyhtiä - Sillinger - Chinakhov
the core issue is a lack of balance between the two scoring lines. the solution you outlined is still fundamentally unbalanced as it is asking a player on the second line to carry too much dead weight.

looking at the top three lines from the other night:
59-23-86 – three good offensive players
82-4-24 – zero good offensive players
27-19-17 – one good (but young) offensive player

the key learnings are that:
  1. they only have four forwards who can drive offense
  2. a line can't function with only one of those guys
  3. if two of your top three lines are worthless, you're dead in the water
the solution is to go with two good offensive players and one solid passenger on each of the scoring lines, then let the spare parts live in the bottom six. i'd still much prefer to keep the top line together and go add a piece for the second line, but it doesn't seem like that's in the cards for whatever reason.

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
sure, and if by 'concrete reporting' you mean getting elvis's teammates on the record as saying that they don't like him, you're never going to actually get that.

there are other ways to source reports, as portzline has done, and just because it falls short of the impossibly high standard of "getting a teammate to openly talk shit about him to a reporter" doesn't mean that the reporting isn't properly vetted or true.

I think Porty's sources might be players too. Porty knows a lot of things that he doesn't publish because he has to protect the players. So salacious details and player beefs are not to be shared.

the core issue is a lack of balance between the two scoring lines. the solution you outlined is still fundamentally unbalanced as it is asking a player on the second line to carry too much dead weight.

looking at the top three lines from the other night:
59-23-86 – three good offensive players
82-4-24 – zero good offensive players
27-19-17 – one good (but young) offensive player

the key learnings are that:
  1. they only have four forwards who can drive offense
  2. a line can't function with only one of those guys
  3. if two of your top three lines are worthless, you're dead in the water
the solution is to go with two good offensive players and one solid passenger on each of the scoring lines, then let the spare parts live in the bottom six. i'd still much prefer to keep the top line together and go add a piece for the second line, but it doesn't seem like that's in the cards for whatever reason.

It's not just a matter of who he has played with, Chinakhov can drive offense better than Fantilli. Fantilli has the finishing ability but no line driving ability at this point. Chinakhov might have it.

Reactions: thebus88

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
He doesn't have to have stolen anyone's wife for there to have been a problem in the locker room with him last year. Sources on the team had told Porty that there was a problem. Porty doesn't have to tell you all the juicy details for you to believe that. There are good reasons to not share everything. I honestly don't get what you're objecting to here.
My objection is that we know the team is in transition and the coach comes in with the clean slate mentality, Evason was quoted in training camp that he was working hard and being a model teammate and 1 week into the season the media is banging the change of scenery bell already after a subpar outing and a potential injury to work though.

"Sources" could be anyone saying anything. Of course he's not reporting it because he doesn't have additional sources to corroborate worthwhile details.

He might be a bad teammate in someone's mind for something as dumb as refusing to clean out the microwave in the lunchroom when he uses it or he stole Porty's breakfast bagel one morning. I'm not going to blindly follow a media report and believe it without some semblance of information to allow me to make an informed decision. It seems counterproductive to this team trying to engage a new mentality.

If "needs a rest" in quotation marks is meant to be a subtle dig at Elvis bailing on his teammates just come out and say it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
My objection is that we know the team is in transition and the coach comes in with the clean slate mentality, Evason was quoted in training camp that he was working hard and being a model teammate and 1 week into the season the media is banging the change of scenery bell already after a subpar outing and a potential injury to work though.

One minor item in a Sunday column is not banging the bell. You're giving this topic a lot of life.

"Sources" could be anyone saying anything. Of course he's not reporting it because he doesn't have additional sources to corroborate worthwhile details.

You don't know that. In sports reporting the reporters often know all sorts of details that they can't publish because it would embarrass players or teams and they don't want to damage their relationships. Or they were told not to share it.

Are you familiar with "off the record" in journalism? Journalists often find sources willing to help them understand a topic but the sources don't want to be identified and they don't want specific things they say to be printed. So the reporters end up knowing a lot more than they can publish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad