OT: CBJ Lounge XXI (All Non-Sports, Non-Political Talk Here)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
We had a pretty serious heat wave come through this week but still think 2012 was ridiculous compared to this one. Also, I honestly can’t believe more people don’t utilize Delaware lake compared to Alum Creek.

Reactions: Derby

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Yeah my first thought was "shut up!"
Yeah, when we lived in NH we had our own secret lake we loved to paddle: a 150 acre lake surrounded by mountains, forests and no development. Maybe on a busy day we would run into 2-4 other people either kayaking or fishing (thankfully no gas motors allowed). There were as many loons as people, they are so cool. Then the word got out and we would see as many as 8-10 people and it felt crowded.

Sadly have found nothing as peaceful or relaxing in Ohio as we had in New Hampshire. Of course there are far fewer people in the entire state of NH than in just the greater Columbus area and we lived in one of the lesser populated areas of the state.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Yeah, when we lived in NH we had our own secret lake we loved to paddle: a 150 acre lake surrounded by mountains, forests and no development. Maybe on a busy day we would run into 2-4 other people either kayaking or fishing (thankfully no gas motors allowed). There were as many loons as people, they are so cool. Then the word got out and we would see as many as 8-10 people and it felt crowded.
1719234497957.png

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Does HFBoards realize that the amount of ads they have on the website make the site near impossible to use and certainly not an enjoyable experience?
[...]

No ads if you become a sponsor.
I've "known" about the sponsor thing for a while, it's mentioned by users here and there... but this inspired me to finally give the sponsor thing a try, maybe it helps with the site being so bogged down by ads or javascript or whatever that it spikes my Opera browser memory use to 6-8 GIGABYTES of memory with any bit of browsing. Like clockwork - if I open HFB or unsleep any tab, it'll spike up to take the maximum of my available memory which tends to cap out at 8 gigs (I have only 16 GB RAM total). I blame the browsers for allowing it but HFB is the worst culprit I've seen in recent years...

Anyhow, for anyone else wondering, it's $12 per year (PayPal) and the link is https://forums.hfboards.com/account/upgrades . Absolutely nowhere on the site is this link displayed, had to use Google to actually find the thread with the link. What Doggy said, if the owners actually wanted this to be an option, you'd think it should be mentioned somewhere?

Upon paying I had around 6.1 GB of memory being used. After successful payment the ads went away and after refreshing my 25 or so tabs of HFB, memory usage immediately dropped down to 3.6 GB, and I suspect it may go a bit lower in time (I have a few other tabs open anyways so this is par the course).

Incredibly more useful immediately. Wow. I should've figured this out way sooner. Thank you folks for bringing it up here.

On a related note, how the F can a couple of ads even take gigabytes of memory. Like how is that possible, what kind of spaghetti code must you write to get to that result. How do you make images worth around one or two megabytes end up taking 1000x that, how much "dynamic content" can you run... Unfathomable. We have ruined the internet in the last two decades.

Last edited:
Reactions: pete goegan

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I've "known" about the sponsor thing for a while, it's mentioned by users here and there... but this inspired me to finally give the sponsor thing a try, maybe it helps with the site being so bogged down by ads or javascript or whatever that it spikes my Opera browser memory use to 6-8 GIGABYTES of memory with any bit of browsing. Like clockwork - if I open HFB or unsleep any tab, it'll spike up to take the maximum of my available memory which tends to cap out at 8 gigs (I have only 16 GB RAM total). I blame the browsers for allowing it but HFB is the worst culprit I've seen in recent years...

Anyhow, for anyone else wondering, it's $12 per year (PayPal) and the link is https://forums.hfboards.com/account/upgrades . Absolutely nowhere on the site is this link displayed, had to use Google to actually find the thread with the link. What Doggy said, if the owners actually wanted this to be an option, you'd think it should be mentioned somewhere?

Upon paying I had around 6.1 GB of memory being used. After successful payment the ads went away and after refreshing my 25 or so tabs of HFB, memory usage immediately dropped down to 3.6 GB, and I suspect it may go a bit lower in time (I have a few other tabs open anyways so this is par the course).

Incredibly more useful immediately. Wow. I should've figured this out way sooner. Thank you folks for bringing it up here.

On a related note, how the F can a couple of ads even take gigabytes of memory. Like how is that possible, what kind of spaghetti code must you write to get to that result. How do you make images worth around one or two megabytes end up taking 1000x that, how much "dynamic content" can you run... Unfathomable. We have ruined the internet in the last two decades.
Let's just say I've seen some of what is responsible, and some things, once seen, cannot be unseen.

• Haha
Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
How books do you recommend to me? I am planning to read, read and read in July and August, want to read 30 books, not follow internet (only minimum).

Reactions: Ice9

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
I read "The Longships" by Frans Bengtsson which is kind of a Viking adventure. It's a very fun read actually. I mostly read military history usually

Reactions: VT

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I read "The Longships" by Frans Bengtsson which is kind of a Viking adventure. It's a very fun read actually. I mostly read military history usually
Looks great

Czech translate

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad