Confirmed with Link: CBJ hire Don Waddell as President of Hockey Operations and General Manager. JD to serve as Senior Advisor

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
So basically what you are suggesting is promoting Nash was entirely Waddell's own idea which would have not happened necessarily if the GM/president was someone else.

I'm not buying it. I think the decision was strongly influenced by the ownership.

And for the record, I don't know how qualified Nash is for the job, let alone how good is he compared to the league average among directors of hockey operations. I'm not assuming he's terrible at it.
Well, he brought in his own guy and changed Basil McRae's role/title as part of it too.

Who cares who's idea it was. This is Don getting to shape the organization how he wants it set up. He's had 3 months to get to know him and find a place where he sees fit regardless of the title involved.

You could give me that same title and stick me in a basement office with a red swingline stapler and nobody outside that office would know what I do or don't do. People just have such overly jaded and cynical thoughts about a person that they can't even fathom that he might actually, possibly be good at his job while learning quite a bit.

Cujorulesdtown9

More Blue Pants
Sep 9, 2007
Michigan
With Waddell bringing in his own guy to take Nashes old job and tge op job being open, it makes sense. Good for Nasher!
This one will be a big stress test, Waddell doesnt seem like a yes man that makes moves for funsies.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Because there’s no way that the best guy in the world for this job just so happens to be in the building. Just seems like a familiarity hire rather than an extensive search for the right guy.
Not every hire has to be getting the best most qualified guy available, sometimes it's better to get the "right" guy, even if he's not considered the best at it.. Just like signing the best FA doesn't mean it's the best addition for your team. And like we constantly talk about here, we as fans don't know jack shit about what's going on behind the scenes, I think the guys who have been involved in the NHL for going on 30years know better than any of us.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
[citation needed]
Also, we don’t need to pretend that every single hire ever is made that way. Is Basil McRae the absolute best guy in the world for his job that he was just promoted to? I’d wager probably not but I don’t hear complaining about that one.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Also, we don’t need to pretend that every single hire ever is made that way. Is Basil McRae the absolute best guy in the world for his job that he was just promoted to? I’d wager probably not but I don’t hear complaining about that one.
Don’t worry someone will complain

Reactions: GoJackets1

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Well, he brought in his own guy and changed Basil McRae's role/title as part of it too.
McRae and Abdou assumably didn't have any special connection to McConnells prior to joining CBJ's FO, unlike Nash.

This is Don getting to shape the organization how he wants it set up.
So you believe he has full freedom to decide Nash's role in the organisation, he could even fire Nash if he wanted to?

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
Does McRae’s new position considered a promotion, demotion, lateral move or simply just a change of duties?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
McRae and Abdou assumably didn't have any special connection to McConnells prior to joining CBJ's FO, unlike Nash.

So you believe he has full freedom to decide Nash's role in the organisation, he could even fire Nash if he wanted to?
McRae has been here for over a decade.

I don't know what Nash's employment terms are but generally anywhere and virtually everywhere hiring and firing anyone in a large business is not done by 1 single individual. And I'll say this once again. Maybe he's actually good at his job.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
I don't care what title you give him, as long as there's someone above him (Abdou) that will stop him from doing dumb stuff.

I get it, Sakic/Yzerman ... why not us? Cause those guys are hall of famers! First thing Nash should do when the owners crown him king of moneymakers, is taken that jersey down!

Sdrawkcab321

Oct 12, 2014
Cleveland
Not every hire has to be getting the best most qualified guy available, sometimes it's better to get the "right" guy, even if he's not considered the best at it.. Just like signing the best FA doesn't mean it's the best addition for your team. And like we constantly talk about here, we as fans don't know jack shit about what's going on behind the scenes, I think the guys who have been involved in the NHL for going on 30years know better than any of us.
If this mindset was correct we wouldn’t have had 5 head coaches in 5 years. Just because someone works in the league forever doesn’t mean they make the right decisions.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The only thing I find more demotivating, depressing, and generally exasperating than the degree to which so many hockey fans show such absolute contempt for and dismissal of my team and the people associated with it is seeing the exact same thing or worse from folks who simultaneously profess to be fans of said team.

I don't know if Nash is going to be capable at the job either, but for bloody f***'s sake people, at least give him a chance before you declare him to be a nepotism-adjacent f***up and More Of How Everything Here Is Terrible. You don't actually know him and what he's capable of anywhere near as much as you think you do.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I don't know if Nash is going to be capable at the job either, but for bloody f***'s sake people, at least give him a chance before you declare him to be a nepotism-adjacent f***up and More Of How Everything Here Is Terrible. You don't actually know him and what he's capable of anywhere near as much as you think you do.
I agree.

Reactions: pete goegan

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Great hire in promoting Rick to President of Hockey Ops .. no doubt he’s being groomed to take over for Waddell down the road . He seems like a smart , well thought out , and wants to bring a cup to Columbus . In a league where Columbus is mostly an afterthought, he brings instant credibility here , and is well respected . Many of these kids playing now , grew up wanting to be like Rick Nash . For Waddell to make this move , this tells me Rick must have impressed him. Waddell is very deliberate , and wanted to see what he had here . It finally feels like this franchise has the right people in place , executing an actual plan

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
The only thing I find more demotivating, depressing, and generally exasperating than the degree to which so many hockey fans show such absolute contempt for and dismissal of my team and the people associated with it is seeing the exact same thing or worse from folks who simultaneously profess to be fans of said team.

I might never get another cookie again for this post, but, as I try to be fair and impartial, your frustration over the Nash discussion feels eerily similar to others who were frustrated with your initial disdain and contempt for the hiring of GMDW. I'm not sure where you stand with DW now, but hopefully you're giving him a chance. I know he had a history that you pointed to, but I don't think what was then is what is now. I appreciate your post and am merely saying to remember those words. We all need to as we don't know shit about what goes on within Nationwide offices

:) You're still my favorite. Well... along with DSL and CBJW :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad