Confirmed with Link: CBJ hire Don Waddell as President of Hockey Operations and General Manager. JD to serve as Senior Advisor

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
So basically what you are suggesting is promoting Nash was entirely Waddell's own idea which would have not happened necessarily if the GM/president was someone else.

I'm not buying it. I think the decision was strongly influenced by the ownership.

And for the record, I don't know how qualified Nash is for the job, let alone how good is he compared to the league average among directors of hockey operations. I'm not assuming he's terrible at it.
Well, he brought in his own guy and changed Basil McRae's role/title as part of it too.

Who cares who's idea it was. This is Don getting to shape the organization how he wants it set up. He's had 3 months to get to know him and find a place where he sees fit regardless of the title involved.

You could give me that same title and stick me in a basement office with a red swingline stapler and nobody outside that office would know what I do or don't do. People just have such overly jaded and cynical thoughts about a person that they can't even fathom that he might actually, possibly be good at his job while learning quite a bit.

Cujorulesdtown9

More Blue Pants
Sep 9, 2007
Michigan
With Waddell bringing in his own guy to take Nashes old job and tge op job being open, it makes sense. Good for Nasher!
This one will be a big stress test, Waddell doesnt seem like a yes man that makes moves for funsies.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Because there’s no way that the best guy in the world for this job just so happens to be in the building. Just seems like a familiarity hire rather than an extensive search for the right guy.
Not every hire has to be getting the best most qualified guy available, sometimes it's better to get the "right" guy, even if he's not considered the best at it.. Just like signing the best FA doesn't mean it's the best addition for your team. And like we constantly talk about here, we as fans don't know jack shit about what's going on behind the scenes, I think the guys who have been involved in the NHL for going on 30years know better than any of us.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
[citation needed]
Also, we don’t need to pretend that every single hire ever is made that way. Is Basil McRae the absolute best guy in the world for his job that he was just promoted to? I’d wager probably not but I don’t hear complaining about that one.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Also, we don’t need to pretend that every single hire ever is made that way. Is Basil McRae the absolute best guy in the world for his job that he was just promoted to? I’d wager probably not but I don’t hear complaining about that one.
Don’t worry someone will complain

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Well, he brought in his own guy and changed Basil McRae's role/title as part of it too.
McRae and Abdou assumably didn't have any special connection to McConnells prior to joining CBJ's FO, unlike Nash.

This is Don getting to shape the organization how he wants it set up.
So you believe he has full freedom to decide Nash's role in the organisation, he could even fire Nash if he wanted to?

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
Does McRae’s new position considered a promotion, demotion, lateral move or simply just a change of duties?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad