Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] F Sean Monahan signs with the Blue Jackets (5 years, $5.5M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This might be the first time I've heard of someone complaining about too much leadership.

You do realize there's a difference between offensive and defensive leaders right?

How helpful are Zach and Severson going to be to show guys like Fantilli and Lindstrom how to take face-offs and where to be positionally in the offensive and defensive zones?

How helpful will Boone be to guys like Jiricek and Mateychuk?
So Boone Jenner can already be a leader to Fantilli/Lindstrom, is what you're saying. Werenski, RealGud, and Severson can be leaders for Jiricek and Mateychuk. Glad we have it cleared up.

My main critique is that Monahan is poor defensively, and is going to cannibalize the kinds of minutes their young forwards already need.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
So Boone Jenner can already be a leader to Fantilli/Lindstrom, is what you're saying. Werenski, RealGud, and Severson can be leaders for Jiricek and Mateychuk. Glad we have it cleared up.

My main critique is that Monahan is poor defensively, and is going to cannibalize the kinds of minutes their young forwards already need.
Our young players shouldn't be in those positions to begin with, you don't throw rookies into the fire right away, guys like Monahan and Jenner have been playing in the league for a decade, they can handle rough nights and hard matchups without their morale and confidence taking a plummet, you need to temper that with kids who aren't even fully mentally developed yet.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Apr 9, 2009
USA
It's expensive and long, but welcome to free agency. At least he has a chance to live up to the contract. I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as many others do. Health is the concern, he's been productive at other places.

Reactions: Fro

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
This is what we call the Columbus Tax.
A 50+ pt player signs for 5.5M and people are saying it's an overpay.

It's only an overpay if he can't stay healthy.

Which he just played more games than ANYONE else in the NHL during the regular season last year.

Reactions: Fro

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
How many mentors and leaders do they need? What is Boone Jenner and Erik Gudbranson and Zack Werenski and Damon Severson for?

They have young players who will need to be coddled (and will get criticized) defensively. And now they've brought in a veteran player that also needs defensive sheltering. It doesn't make sense. You'd rather leave the prime offensive opportunities for Fantilli and Lindstrom, for their long-term development and success of the club. Now you have Monahan sucking up that time.

The injuries are another red flag. He's injury prone.
Well, I would have preferred for us to go after guys like Dillon or Pesce or Forbort to cover some of that as well, but somebody's teams just had to get in the way.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

Which he just played more games than ANYONE else in the NHL during the regular season last year.
But Lindholm for 7 x $7.75 is a great deal. I would hate to venture into that thread. I'm sure that deal is getting skewered. I mean he scored all of 44 pts last year and looked like complete dog shit for 2 teams, but that deal is certainly going to age well because he's younger... oh wait... what? He's also 29?

Yeah, yeah, I get it. Boston isn't Columbus and they have a proven roster but let's be real... that contract is brutal and he doesn't have an injury history to fall back on as an excuse.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

For my part, I don't think it's an overpay (at least, no moreso than any other UFA contract); I think it's just the wrong target.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Happy for Monahan, but this is a bad contract. The fit doesn't make sense either, why would a team pay the center tax for a veteran when they have a ton of blue chip center prospects? You can probably find a veteran role model for cheap in a trade with less term.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Our young players shouldn't be in those positions to begin with, you don't throw rookies into the fire right away, guys like Monahan and Jenner have been playing in the league for a decade, they can handle rough nights and hard matchups without their morale and confidence taking a plummet, you need to temper that with kids who aren't even fully mentally developed yet.
No, Monahan cannot handle hard matchups. He gets eaten up in them. He's poor defensively. He needs sheltered usage and PP time to be an effective scoring player. Those are precisely the minutes you want a guy like Fantilli getting. Instead, Monahan will be absorbing them.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Happy for Monahan, but this is a bad contract. The fit doesn't make sense either, why would a team pay the center tax for a veteran when they have a ton of blue chip center prospects? You can probably find a veteran role model for cheap in a trade with less term.
Exactly.

"Should we let Fantilli or Johnson or Voronkov be the center in a sheltered scoring role?"

"No, we absolutely must pay $25M to Monahan for that".

It's just dumb.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Exactly.

"Should we let Fantilli or Johnson or Voronkov be the center in a sheltered scoring role?"

It's just dumb.
Do you not understand that there is no sheltered role for them WITHOUT Monahan?

You don't throw young kids who don't know what they are doing into the fire and expect them to succeed.

Who would you have realistically have signed to shelter them?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

You don't throw young kids who don't know what they are doing into the fire and expect them to succeed.

I think Lindholm would have been ideal.

Offer sheeting Pinto would be an interesting option as well.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

So instead of spending $25M for a 50pt player whose contract will expire when all of our youth are entering their prime, we should be spending 50M for a player who produces less and will still carry a massive cap hit right when we need to sign our future?

And if we missed out on Lindholm and Ottawa matches the offer sheet, what then?

Reactions: Xoggz22

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
vP0k48s.gif

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
If Monahan will be back to 21-22 broken man next season already, then yeah, that deal will suck. But if they get 23-24 Monahan for 2 or 3 years, then that deal is an epic success. After that the kids should be ready to take over. They just need veteran help to gain lineup flexibility and make it possible to bring up the kids in a way that's productive to their development, instead of having to play them in roles they are not ready for simply because there's no one else.

Reactions: CBJx614

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Right... because 7 years at $7.75 is a much better deal with the young center depth coming up. SMH

I think too many of you are on here to complain and show just how right you can be. There is no good Day 1 UFA contract. Yet you want to throw out another option that is actually worse. Coming off a worse year, same age, longer term and more money...yet the Monahan deal is terrible.

Please tell me why Lindholm would have been better. I'll hang up and listen...

Reactions: Fro and CBJx614

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Exactly.

It's just dumb.
Johnson and center was already a long shot but now its a guarenteed no and Voronkov doesnt need to be sheltered. It will be interesting, they may not even start Fantilli at center again. Wouldnt be completely shocked to see him share duties with Jenner and have Johnson/Chinakhov on the other side

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Wennberg, as a better defensive center. Maybe Henrique altho I'm not as sanguine. I'd previously also thought Stephenson but, well, we saw what he got.

* * *​
He'd have been even worse IMO. Monahan at least scores enough to stay ahead of his problems.
Cost of that would be too high.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Wennberg, as a better defensive center. Maybe Henrique altho I'm not as sanguine. I'd previously also thought Stephenson but, well, we saw what he got.

* * *​

He'd have been even worse IMO. Monahan at least scores enough to stay ahead of his problems.

Cost of that would be too high.
While I wouldn't mind Wennberg, I think you get a better leader out of Monahan. Especially if you're bringing him in to help mentor your hopeful future leaders in Fantilli and Lindstrom.

Henrique had 0 desire to come here so I don't really consider him as a realistic option

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad