Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] F Sean Monahan signs with the Blue Jackets (5 years, $5.5M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Cap dump not too long ago to $25+ million

NHL free agency is wild
It's not because he sucked. His last few years in Calgary were riddled with injuries. My speculation is the team wanted him to play instead of rest, which nearly detailed his career. When he's healthy, he's your steady and reliable meat and potatoes centre who'll probably score 20-30.

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
Whys that?
Gaudreau-Monahan-Marchenko
Johnson-Jenner-Fantilli
Sillinger-Voronkov-Chinakhov

Looks like they fit to me in some combination. If Laine is back I wouldnt exactly be shocked to see Johnson start in the AHL depending how his rehab/offseason goes. But that said I think Waddell's intention is to push Laine out one way or the other
Will guarantee good draft positioning

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Good for Monny. At age 29 he can still shoot the puck, pretty good on face-offs, and isn't bad defensively.

Maybe he and Johnny will hit it off again. They should be fun to watch.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
It's not because he sucked. His last few years in Calgary were riddled with injuries. My speculation is the team wanted him to play instead of rest, which nearly detailed his career. When he's healthy, he's your steady and reliable meat and potatoes centre who'll probably score 20-30.
I really doubt it was the organization. Monny just seems like the ultimate "team first" guy and he probably just isn't telling the team the full extent of his injuries.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Why are people acting as if Monahan can't be a solid 2C for Columbus?
Because he won't be. This isn't 6 years ago. This isn't the 2018-19 Monahan and Gaudreau.

Monahan got dumped because of this type of contract, and here is a team signing him to it again! CBJ does what they do. CBJ fans jumped on me because I criticized their Provorov and Gudbranson moves and...I was right. They were unnecessary, overpaid, and just gunked up the roster and cap sheet. Will be the same with Monahan.

Monahan's defensive impacts have been very bad the last few seasons. His mobility is not there. At best, he can be a "bad team 2C". So I guess if CBJ wants to continue to be bad, mission accomplished.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Because he won't be. This isn't 6 years ago. This isn't the 2018-19 Monahan and Gaudreau.

Monahan got dumped because of this type of contract, and here is a team signing him to it again! CBJ does what they do. CBJ fans jumped on me because I criticized their Provorov and Gudbranson moves and...I was right. They were unnecessary, overpaid, and just gunked up the roster and cap sheet. Will be the same with Monahan.

Monahan's defensive impacts have been very bad the last few seasons. His mobility is not there. At best, he can be a "bad team 2C". So I guess if CBJ wants to continue to be bad, mission accomplished.

Yeah it didn't work for Calgary while Monahan wasn't put together with glue. I hope they find lightning in a bottle, but I wouldn't bet on it.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I’d be shocked if he plays more than 175 games of this contract
He played 83 regular season games last year.... it's a big reason why the Habs were able to flip him for a first round pick, after getting another 1st round pick just to take him on the team from the great treliving.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Worst deal of the day. Even Tanev is at least old enough to LTIRetire
he doesn't deserve 5 years. No f in way. Jets fans hated the idea of bringing him back, even if they can't sign anyone because they are in winnipeg. That's how cooked he is.

Waddell is taking a risk that they can find chemistry with Gaudreau again. This is an absolutely hilarious signing. He's just gonna eat away ice time that could have been allocated to their young guys like Fantallini, Johnson and Lindstrom.

• Haha
Reactions: Xoggz22

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

Monahan was offered an identical contract from Winnipeg yesterday, we weren't the only team offering.

Go listen to his presser, he was constantly trying to play through injuries over the last few years which directly correlates to his down turn. Now he's healthy and in the best condition of his life and he plays the most games in the entire league last year.

Nobody is getting him for his defensive play, he's got plenty of offense left in the tank and will be a great mentor and leader for the kids.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
The length is what's worrying because the AAV is completely fine for what he brings.

If he stays healthy, Columbus will love him. He's a smart, glue type player with high IQ.
I think CBJ take on less risk with this contract than the Bruins did with Lindholm. A healthy Monahan is still easily worth 5.5M and he will be 34 when contract ends. Lindholm will be 36. Lindholm's goal totals last 3 seasons 42, 22, 15.

With Monahan the risk is that he gets hurt and ends up on LTIR - that is manageable
with Lindholm the risk is that he keeps declining and does not get hurt. and you can't LTIR him.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Waddell is taking a risk that they can find chemistry with Gaudreau again. This is an absolutely hilarious signing. He's just gonna eat away ice time that could have been allocated to their young guys like Fantallini, Johnson and Lindstrom.
This is the silliest kind of concern-trolling: completely ignorant of actual reality but desperate to get a dig in.

FFS, Lindstrom is 18 and coming off a major injury so bad it scared off teams in the draft; he's going back to Junior for at least one more season and likely two. Not remotely blocked. Not sure who Fantallini is, but I bet he isn't as good as Fantilli, who'll be 20 and isn't ready to be 1C. If you were that concerned about his growth as a player, you'd probably get his name right. And Kent Johnson is coming off a major shoulder injury sustained on a faceoff; he won't be playing center until he's stronger if at all. Not a one of them has anything to learn from being overwhelmed and crushed at 1C, and Monahan is an order of magnitude better than Boone Jenner. I don't love the term of five years but a basement team with plenty of cap space and a contending target of 2026 at the earliest can stomach it to shield its bright young players from too much, too soon--you know, the thing Columbus is constantly accused of doing.

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
Not sure how this can be seen as bad, it’s pretty fair AAV for 50 point center. I won’t blame anyone for ignoring Montreal last year but he played well, he was healthy all year and a great leader.
I would be ok with the price for a couple years, obviously 5 years is too long for Habs but thats because of circumstances. He’s not even that old maybe because he’s been around so long people think he’s 36

Reactions: CBJx614

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
Columbus makes a lot of poor decisions. This signing isn't one of them. Monahan addresses a team need. He is worth the money he is getting provided he can stay healthy. Columbus is not exactly a top-tier desired destination for free agents, so I see this as a decent signing.

Reactions: cbjthrowaway

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Columbus makes a lot of poor decisions. This signing isn't one of them. Monahan addresses a team need. He is worth the money he is getting provided he can stay healthy. Columbus is not exactly a top-tier desired destination for free agents, so I see this as a decent signing.
That depends on who you talk to and that's changing.

Gaudreau was the highest ranked FA when he signed.

Now Monahan said during his presser this had been his desired destination for awhile, regardless of Johnny being here. Similar to Johnny he's closer to family. It seems once guys start having a family, Columbus starts to look really attractive. The base of ex players that live here continues to grow year after year.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
the AAV seems steep, but with the cap rising + multiple ELC overlap years (2 for fantilli, likely 4 for lindstrom as he'll stick in junior and slide) it's really not that bad.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
This is the silliest kind of concern-trolling: completely ignorant of actual reality but desperate to get a dig in.

FFS, Lindstrom is 18 and coming off a major injury so bad it scared off teams in the draft; he's going back to Junior for at least one more season and likely two. Not remotely blocked. Not sure who Fantallini is, but I bet he isn't as good as Fantilli, who'll be 20 and isn't ready to be 1C. If you were that concerned about his growth as a player, you'd probably get his name right. And Kent Johnson is coming off a major shoulder injury sustained on a faceoff; he won't be playing center until he's stronger if at all. Not a one of them has anything to learn from being overwhelmed and crushed at 1C, and Monahan is an order of magnitude better than Boone Jenner. I don't love the term of five years but a basement team with plenty of cap space and a contending target of 2026 at the earliest can stomach it to shield its bright young players from too much, too soon--you know, the thing Columbus is constantly accused of doing.

I will say this about Fantallini - it's really good with Old Bay-seasoned shrimp, garlic, olive oil and Parmesan cheese 😋

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Monahan was offered an identical contract from Winnipeg yesterday, we weren't the only team offering.

Go listen to his presser, he was constantly trying to play through injuries over the last few years which directly correlates to his down turn. Now he's healthy and in the best condition of his life and he plays the most games in the entire league last year.

Nobody is getting him for his defensive play, he's got plenty of offense left in the tank and will be a great mentor and leader for the kids.
How many mentors and leaders do they need? What is Boone Jenner and Erik Gudbranson and Zack Werenski and Damon Severson for?

They have young players who will need to be coddled (and will get criticized) defensively. And now they've brought in a veteran player that also needs defensive sheltering. It doesn't make sense. You'd rather leave the prime offensive opportunities for Fantilli and Lindstrom, for their long-term development and success of the club. Now you have Monahan sucking up that time.

The injuries are another red flag. He's injury prone.

Last edited:

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
How many mentors and leaders do they need? What is Boone Jenner and Erik Gudbranson and Zack Werenski and Damon Severson for?

They have young players who will need to be coddled (and will get criticized) defensively. And now they've brought in a veteran player that also needs defensive sheltering. It doesn't make sense. You'd rather leave the prime offensive opportunities for Fantilli and Lindstrom, for their long-term development and success of the club. Now you have Monahan sucking up that time.

The injuries are another red flag. He's injury prone.
This might be the first time I've heard of someone complaining about too much leadership.

You do realize there's a difference between offensive and defensive leaders right?

How helpful are Zach and Severson going to be to show guys like Fantilli and Lindstrom how to take face-offs and where to be positionally in the offensive and defensive zones?

How helpful will Boone be to guys like Jiricek and Mateychuk?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad