Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] F Sean Monahan signs with the Blue Jackets (5 years, $5.5M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sstroh84

May 28, 2015
Columbus, OH
This move allows Boone Jenner to move back to the wing. Something we haven’t seen for a while and it may unlock more offense for a former 30 goal scorer. This also allows the kids to play more sheltered roles and more slowly get acclimated to center ice in the NHL. I think Monahan is worth every penny and with anyone that is dependent on health.

Reactions: Fro and Toe Pick

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This move allows Boone Jenner to move back to the wing. Something we haven’t seen for a while and it may unlock more offense for a former 30 goal scorer.
:banghead:

The only thing more maddening than the fact we signed this guy instead of the shutdown blueliner we need is the number of times I have seen this nonsense trotted out to attempt to justify it.

He "unlocked" that additional offense three years ago; the totals just haven't ended up as high because we've been playing him over 20 minutes a night and so he's breaking down before the season can finish. But his shooting percentage has been consistently in the 12-14% range for the last three seasons, and his 30-goal season had him at 13% (with a career average of 10%).

Seriously. Boone Jenner Is Not A Winger. You do not "get more" out of him by changing his position. If we do get more out of him from this signing, it won't be from moving him to the wing; it'll be because he gets to stay on the ice for more games due to Monahan taking minutes - and I'm not yet convinced Monahan will end up doing a sufficiently responsible job with those minutes so we're as likely as not to end up with no net gain.

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
:banghead:

The only thing more maddening than the fact we signed this guy instead of the shutdown blueliner we need is the number of times I have seen this nonsense trotted out to attempt to justify it.

He "unlocked" that additional offense three years ago; the totals just haven't ended up as high because we've been playing him over 20 minutes a night and so he's breaking down before the season can finish. But his shooting percentage has been consistently in the 12-14% range for the last three seasons, and his 30-goal season had him at 13% (with a career average of 10%).

Seriously. Boone Jenner Is Not A Winger. You do not "get more" out of him by changing his position. If we do get more out of him from this signing, it won't be from moving him to the wing; it'll be because he gets to stay on the ice for more games due to Monahan taking minutes - and I'm not yet convinced Monahan will end up doing a sufficiently responsible job with those minutes so we're as likely as not to end up with no net gain.
Yeah, I honestly don't care where Boone plays as long as it's like 7 minutes less a night.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
People gotta keep in mind CBJ veteran center depth before signing Monahan was Jenner & Kuraly, that's it. That is a middle-6 guy turned #1C (and I like Jenner and think he's done better than anyone would've dared to hope, but in a contender he'd be ideally a 3rd line center or #2 tops if you have stacked wings) and Kuraly is a good #4C. Fantilli/Voronkov/Sillinger/Johnson/Lindstrom/etc is a great group of young potential centers but there was a desperate need for some veteran help to bridge the gap for next 2 seasons or so at least.

If Monahan can stay healthy and play good hockey for 2-3 years then that's a success and while 5-years is two more than would be ideal all things considered, that's just signing UFAs for you. If Monahan can be of any help at all in creating conditions where some of the young prospects become good NHL centers, then even if that deal ends up turning into a problem towards the end, it was worth it.

If he stays healthy and has no lingering issues from his injuries, then having had that low point in his career a few years ago would turn into a blessing in disguise for the Jackets, because if he'd been a 60pt center all through 2020s, no way they get him for 5.5m per.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
The length is what's worrying because the AAV is completely fine for what he brings.

If he stays healthy, Columbus will love him. He's a smart, glue type player with high IQ.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
The length is what's worrying because the AAV is completely fine for what he brings.

If he stays healthy, Columbus will love him. He's a smart, glue type player with high IQ.
He’s 29, he’s 34 by the time he’s UFA, that’s certainly nothing unheard of

Warms my heart to see Mony and JG together again. Best of luck in Columbus, Sean.
Wouldn’t mind Tkachuk reunion in Columbus as well

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
He’s 29, he’s 34 by the time he’s UFA, that’s certainly nothing unheard of

It's an issue because of his health issues. He could find himself in a spot where he's healthy enough to play, but still damaged goods, like Gallagher. If he keeps performing like the last two seasons though, then CBJ will be very happy.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
It's an issue because of his health issues. He could find himself in a spot where he's healthy enough to play, but still damaged goods, like Gallagher. If he keeps performing like the last two seasons though, then CBJ will be very happy.
He just played a full season.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Good that we agree on the risk. What can also happen is that some players simply become less effective without being able to justify LTIR.
Considering he has played a full year with good stats, he’s really experienced, very solid at face offs abd a big friend of Gaudreau, it’s worth the risk.
I like this signing way more than Gudbranson deal

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I don't think Jackets fans will like this deal year 1. I think they'll like it even less in the years that follow.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think this is funny because of how Gaudreau and Monahan were drafted two years apart. Now they played on different teams two years apart. It's like they got nothing from the Flames for their players.

I think this is funny because of how Gaudreau and Monahan were drafted two years apart. Now they played on different teams two years apart. It's like they got nothing from the Flames for their players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad