Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] F Sean Monahan signs with the Blue Jackets (5 years, $5.5M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
Lots of comments about health. If that becomes an issue, there is LTIR. Which barring changes to the CBA, may actually increase his future trade value. For today, seems like a decent gamble for CBJ. Until the team starts winning consistently they won't get any bargains in FA.

Reactions: Toe Pick

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Im honest here. Columbus never feels like a bonafide NHL franchise, ot feels like Hartford Whalers 2.0. But without that Bonanza brass. Players dont want to go there unless it saves their NHL careers. They need to create some kind of culture. And I hate those dark uniforms. Bring some Light and happenings and psotovity inte their uniform, that optics positivity and luck. Columbia has the darkest and most negative colorscheme in the whole NHL. And that impacts their spirit on the team as well.

Light it up Columbus! Go with Light blue and red instead. Go for positivity and creativity in your culture. Go for a "fakk yeah!!" In your gradvis instead of an oldtime war sche Its Damn boring and old fashioned.

Look a4 Nadhville. They have a Brighton aura around their franchise, signad Kariya, Forsberg and now Stamkos. Lumbus has to see and learn.

And for the record. T9 really s6cks BIG time.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
2018-19's Batman and Robin back 2gether again baby, can't keep this dynamic bromance down

xOxOxOx Johnny and Seanny 4 eva xOxOxOx

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Dog

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
I like it, 5.5 for a top6 center that can win faceoffs. Could be a million more and I would still be ok with it. Being able to not rush Fantilli and Lindstrom who should be ready for full time roles at the end of Monahan's (and JGs') contract is nice player management. Just hope he's ready for top line minutes with JG becauses he's getting it by default. Again 5.5m for a topline center (on CBJ) that brings experience and cohesion to a mess of a team, is well spent. The comparable is Lindholm, and not sure if CBJ offered 9m if he would have come here.

Funny how Columbus lost most their aging core (outside of Werenski/Jenner) and replaced it with the some of the Flames aging core.

Reactions: Toe Pick

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I like it, 5.5 for a top6 center that can win faceoffs. Could be a million more and I would still be ok with it. Being able to not rush Fantilli and Lindstrom who should be ready for full time roles at the end of Monahan's (and JGs') contract is nice player management. Just hope he's ready for top line minutes with JG becauses he's getting it by default. Again 5.5m for a topline center (on CBJ) that brings experience and cohesion to a mess of a team, is well spent. The comparable is Lindholm, and not sure if CBJ offered 9m if he would have come here.

Funny how Columbus lost most their aging core (outside of Werenski/Jenner) and replaced it with the some of the Flames aging core.
Is it funny? Or scary

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
This ain’t it.

If Columbus is going to add to an already crowded top 9, they needs to make some moves. But most likely they’re just going to tank their young players values and sell them off for peanuts or let them walk.

They already did that on defense with Boqvist and Bean. Now it’s going to happen to some combination of Sillinger/Johnson/Voronkov/Marchenko/Chinakhov.
Whys that?
Gaudreau-Monahan-Marchenko
Johnson-Jenner-Fantilli
Sillinger-Voronkov-Chinakhov

Looks like they fit to me in some combination. If Laine is back I wouldnt exactly be shocked to see Johnson start in the AHL depending how his rehab/offseason goes. But that said I think Waddell's intention is to push Laine out one way or the other

dez

Mar 3, 2012
Whys that?
Johnson-Jenner-Fantilli

Looks like they fit to me in some combination. If Laine is back I wouldnt exactly be shocked to see Johnson start in the AHL depending how his rehab/offseason goes. But that said I think Waddell's intention is to push Laine out one way or the other
Soft

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Whys that?
Johnson-Jenner-Fantilli

I'm currently counting Laine and if he's moved then everyone technically fits.

I just don't think it's a recipe for success. I assume the top line will play all minutes, but you usually want younger players like Johnson and Fantilli sheltered a bit and to get a bunch of offensive zone starts. I don't see a line that can be heavily relied on defensively.

I hope it works out because I like a lot of Columbus' players. The current lineup just reminds me of Philly a few years ago where they had plenty of talent, but no defined lines and it didn't translate to winning.

Reactions: Viqsi

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I'm currently counting Laine and if he's moved then everyone technically fits.

I just don't think it's a recipe for success. I assume the top line will play all minutes, but you usually want younger players like Johnson and Fantilli sheltered a bit and to get a bunch of offensive zone starts. I don't see a line that can be heavily relied on defensively.

I hope it works out because I like a lot of Columbus' players. The current lineup just reminds me of Philly a few years ago where they had plenty of talent, but no defined lines and it didn't translate to winning.
noone said it was a great lineup but yeah they have some good pieces, just young and an odd mix. I thought about Chinakhov with Jenner as all 3 Russians are responsible. That said the Olivier-Kuraly-Danforth line handles a good amount of tough assignments.

Jarmo was a talent collector, not a roster builder so Waddell is here trying to trim some fat.

When guys like Lindstrom and Brindley are ready the grit and compete level of this team will shoot up in a massive way, this team just isnt there yet. We need a real meaningful breakout from atleast 2 of Fantilli/Johnson/Marchenko/Chinakhov this year to really start climbing out of the basement

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Lots of comments about health. If that becomes an issue, there is LTIR. Which barring changes to the CBA, may actually increase his future trade value. For today, seems like a decent gamble for CBJ. Until the team starts winning consistently they won't get any bargains in FA.
It’s not that easy to go on LTIR

Monahan is the kind of guy that will play through injuries

We get it. You don't like it but who in the hell is coming to Columbus for less? A good center...nobody.
There is no such thing as good UFA centers. Have to draft and build your own

Reactions: Boomstick

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
It’s not that easy to go on LTIR

Monahan is the kind of guy that will play through injuries

There is no such thing as good UFA centers. Have to draft and build your own
We did the drafting part, we need fill ins during the development part. The fact he put up 60 points and maybe help lighten the mood in the room especially for someone like Johnny its easily worth it. Monahan/Jenner isnt exactly a top tier center duo but knowing Fantilli/Lindstrom are on the way erases a lot of the doom and gloom

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
We get it. You don't like it but who in the hell is coming to Columbus for less? A good center...nobody.
Sounded like he was already interested but if Monahan can reproduce his numbers from last season, he's worth all 5.5M and then some.

Granted that's a big if, however, the entire team will benefit from an experienced coach behind the bench. Monahan also brings a lot of experience and leadership into the room, which on a team full of kids is absolutely crucial.

Reactions: HabsQC

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
We did the drafting part, we need fill ins during the development part. The fact he put up 60 points and maybe help lighten the mood in the room especially for someone like Johnny its easily worth it. Monahan/Jenner isnt exactly a top tier center duo but knowing Fantilli/Lindstrom are on the way erases a lot of the doom and gloom
Yeah he is real nice guy
Only concern is injuries

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Yeah he is real nice guy
Only concern is injuries
He said he was trying to play through those injuries but he's learned that if he wants to get back to what he was he had to take the necessary time to heal and that he feels back and better than he's ever felt.

Monahan Q&A starts at 18:00

Reactions: DFF

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Monahan is a smart player, I would've taken him back in Montreal but on a short 1 or 2 years deal. Good for Columbus if they're happy with that contract

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
Monahan is a smart player, I would've taken him back in Montreal but on a short 1 or 2 years deal. Good for Columbus if they're happy with that contract
How many top 6 UFA centers sign for 1 or 2 years? Nobody is "happy" with the contract but that doesn't mean it is as horrible as some are making it out to be. It is a reasonable risk for what CBJ needs at this point in their rebuild.

Reactions: Toe Pick and HabsQC

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Im honest here. Columbus never feels like a bonafide NHL franchise, ot feels like Hartford Whalers 2.0. But without that Bonanza brass. Players dont want to go there unless it saves their NHL careers. They need to create some kind of culture. And I hate those dark uniforms. Bring some Light and happenings and psotovity inte their uniform, that optics positivity and luck. Columbia has the darkest and most negative colorscheme in the whole NHL. And that impacts their spirit on the team as well.

Light it up Columbus! Go with Light blue and red instead. Go for positivity and creativity in your culture. Go for a "fakk yeah!!" In your gradvis instead of an oldtime war sche Its Damn boring and old fashioned.

Look a4 Nadhville. They have a Brighton aura around their franchise, signad Kariya, Forsberg and now Stamkos. Lumbus has to see and learn.

And for the record. T9 really s6cks BIG time.
If I'd be honest here I'd get a permanent ban...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad