Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] F Sean Monahan signs with the Blue Jackets (5 years, $5.5M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
This ain’t it.

If Columbus is going to add to an already crowded top 9, they needs to make some moves. But most likely they’re just going to tank their young players values and sell them off for peanuts or let them walk.

They already did that on defense with Boqvist and Bean. Now it’s going to happen to some combination of Sillinger/Johnson/Voronkov/Marchenko/Chinakhov.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
This ain’t it.

If Columbus is going to add to an already crowded top 9, they needs to make some moves. But most likely they’re just going to tank their young players values and sell them off for peanuts or let them walk.

They already did that on defense with Boqvist and Bean. Now it’s going to happen to some combination of Sillinger/Johnson/Voronkov/Marchenko/Chinakhov.
Their C corps isnt crowded. His competition are 3 kids (Fantilli, Voronkov and Sillinger), Boone Jenner and Kuraly.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Not a big fan of the term, but it's going to be negligible in years 4 and 5 when the cap is much higher. He'll end up being a veteran 3C by the end of his deal. I'd imagine his contract will either be moveable or will just be bought out towards the end of the deal.

As a player, though, I think this is a great move to bridge the gap between now and when Lindstrom makes the leap to the big club. Might even make Sillinger expendable in a trade to acquire a defenseman now.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If he didn't have that injury history you'd be seeing him make $7m x 7, so the history is mostly priced in on the deal he got.

Short term, $5.5m for a guy who just scored 59 pts is a solid deal. I was hoping for a 3 year term for Monahan but in retrospect that is harder to imagine on a day like this.

I find this contract more in keeping with the general craziness of the day, and not the worst. It's an overpay in term and not cap. Monahan's injury history makes it hard to forecast the long term. If, by chance, he's permanently over his hip/groin/wrist issues, then this would be one of the better deals of the day.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Honestly, I feel terrible for Blue Jacket fans.

WTF were they thinking?
The fans? We're thinking we've been devoid of any top 6 centers pretty much our entire existence and to have one that is great at faceoffs, should be expected to score 60 points, help mentor the young centers coming up.. the fans should feel pretty good. His projected contract was around $4.6MM/yr. It's UFA so every team over pays. The deal is fine for the CBJ. The risk is the injuries return. If not and he plays at the level he has in the past, this deal is just fine - at least for 3 years.

Personally, I would have liked 4 years max, but it seems every UFA deal is about 1-2 years too long. It's the price you pay. I see a lot of comments about this being the worst deal of the day. Far from it when you factor in team need and what he can bring. Not saying it's a good deal at $5.5 per, but it's far from the worst and a major need for the CBJ

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
The fans? We're thinking we've been devoid of any top 6 centers pretty much our entire existence and to have one that is great at faceoffs, should be expected to score 60 points, help mentor the young centers coming up.. the fans should feel pretty good. His projected contract was around $4.6MM/yr. It's UFA so every team over pays. The deal is fine for the CBJ. The risk is the injuries return. If not and he plays at the level he has in the past, this deal is just fine - at least for 3 years.

Personally, I would have liked 4 years max, but it seems every UFA deal is about 1-2 years too long. It's the price you pay. I see a lot of comments about this being the worst deal of the day. Far from it when you factor in team need and what he can bring. Not saying it's a good deal at $5.5 per, but it's far from the worst and a major need for the CBJ
If you are satisfied with it, then that’s fine.

I will say it this way then..

To all of the Blue Jacket fans who hate this contract, I feel for you, you deserve better. To those of you who like it, congrats!

Reactions: Viqsi

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Their C corps isnt crowded. His competition are 3 kids (Fantilli, Voronkov and Sillinger), Boone Jenner and Kuraly.
That's kind of my point, unless Columbus doesn't think Sillinger and Voronkov are more than 3rd/4th line centers.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
That's kind of my point, unless Columbus doesn't think Sillinger and Voronkov are more than 3rd/4th line centers.
I don't think you'll find a single CBJ fan who is upset at bringing in another center. You won't go anywhere depending on kids to figure it out on the job without anyone guiding them along the way. Boone can only do so much.

Reactions: Fro

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I do think the idea is that Sillinger is likely a 3C+ and Voronkov could slot as 4C or, more likely, a wing. For the coming year, Jenner is expected to be moved back to wing and Kuraly is in the last year of his deal and I would imagine moved at the deadline so having Monahan fills a need even with the young players being added to the lineup.

The first 3 years of this deal have little to no impact on the young players. For the coming year, Sillinger stays at 2C or 3C depending on if they put Fantilli in the middle next year. Voronkov can play 2C or 3C (If Fantilli stays more at wing) and Kuraly 4C. Lindstrom likely has two more years in Juniors and maybe a year in the AHL based on what we hear about Waddell's approach is to allow prospects to develop.

The problem for Columbus is the lack of experienced top 6 centers and having Monahan for the next 3 years at a minimum should be very helpful. Granted he needs to stay healthy so that is a risk. But the 5 years is manageable based on the current youth and timelines. If they push it faster...great.

Reactions: Fro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad