Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] Elvis Merzlikins signs extension with the Blue Jackets (5 years, $5.4M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I mean you make a good call and dodge signing Bobrovsky, and then turn around and do this with a guy who's probably going to split time in net? How do blue jackets fans feel about this?
Most of us will like it. CBJ made their choice with this deal. He's performed well in a time share scenario and from all accounts it's more apt to perform better as the #1. Stability, upside, amazing guy and a team leader. This team will fight for him and love him. Love this move

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I'm not generally a fan of giving money to goalies without a large history in the NHL, and questioned Demko getting his deal as well, but it's one of those things where, just like Demko, it's likely it will be a good deal given the talent of the player.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
I mean you make a good call and dodge signing Bobrovsky, and then turn around and do this with a guy who's probably going to split time in net? How do blue jackets fans feel about this?

5 years 5.4 million is nowhere near as bad as Bob's deal. There is no comparison there.

Lots of goalies are going to split time this year due to the condensed schedule. Elvis will play 50 +games if he's healthy.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm frankly surprised at the "overpay" takes. Elvis has a career .920, if he keeps that up for another 50-60 games and hits the UFA market, he'd be paid closer to $7m per. So the short sample size looks fully factored in with this deal.

I didn't see this many "overpay" takes when Shestyerkin and Demko got their similar deals. You can go ahead and compare their experience and results.

Elated.

There's no splitting time. This is a guy that many of us expect to eventually be an elite starter.

Cinderblox

Hug it out everyone!
Jan 4, 2016
Lahti
Weird that Demko's contract was universally praised while this one questioned. Similar level goalies, similar experience, close in age. The contract seems about right to me for Elvis based on the market.
Demko is North American?

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Shoot. I was hoping he wouldn't re-sign. The goalie market just lost one of its best possible targets. Good signing CBJ.

The 2022 UFA goalie market is hurting now.

There's:

MAF (probably retiring)
Koskinen (lolz)
Kuemper (likely to stay in Colorado)
Halak (probably retiring)
Francouz (hardly a stud)
Campbell (big year for him)
Martin Jones (lolz)
Korpisalo (mediocre track record)
DeSmith (probably a backup)
Lankinen (will be behind MAF this year)

That is really slim pickings. Aside from Kuemper, who is habitually injured, there's no one there I'd want to commit to but a few of them are going to get overpaid because there are no other options.

Elvis and Kuemper probably the only guy who you could envision betting on.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
It's a little generous given that he has so little NHL GP experience, but I think most believe in this guy and the deal should work out for Columbus.

It's going to be a whole new world and there will be new systems to learn under a new coach. The defensive shell might not be what it was in the past and I'm a little reluctant to expect the same stats. I'm a fan of the player, though. That is a nice bloc of time in which to lock him in, at that stage in his career.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That's the first time I have heard this. Not that I am doubting you, I am just surprised to see it.
What's the trade value on Korpisalo?

Probably a 2nd rounder or so at the deadline.

That playoff showing he had in 2020 should make him a good deadline add (the next Roloson?).

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I dont get why this makes Korpisalo expendable tbh. I suppose if he wants the chance to be a starter somewhere but I'm not sure if he's good enough to be a full time starter.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
The one who makes more money is automatically the starter you say??? and clearly shows who theylle go with???
Ooooh, i have a bad news for you buddy.....
Or they had 2 pending UFA's who they have evaluated over the last 2 years and chose who they saw as having the brightest future. Get out of here with your factless nonsense. If Korpi plays well he'll get some starts but at the end of the day hes gone

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I dont get why this makes Korpisalo expendable tbh. I suppose if he wants the chance to be a starter somewhere but I'm not sure if he's good enough to be a full time starter.

He wants to be a starter somewhere. I think he'll go wherever his best chance is.

Korpi has had some torried streaks here and there, but he's never been a good backup playing one in every 4 games. I think it will be a mutual parting in that regard.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017

Happy as a clam. We locked up another piece of our core at a reasonable price.

This contract is lightyears better than Bob's. Most NHL contracts are...

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Someone just posted that Puljujarvi is an AHL level bust. Lots of posters don't watch the games and play the homer role with their own club. Stat watch without any context. It is what it is.
It's impossible to watch enough games to have an informed first-hand opinion on most players, so we resort to stats - but I do try to listen to the home team fans. If they're mostly saying that player X is good, he probably is, if they think player Y's contract is fair, it probably is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad