Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] Elvis Merzlikins signs extension with the Blue Jackets (5 years, $5.4M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Revansky

Mar 17, 2013
Montreal
Similar contract as Matt Murray. Better potential for value. Hovering around .920 is good starter number, a bit unproven though. Medium Risk, High reward potential.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
I don't know him enough I guess. I know he had a stellar start of his career, but the numbers ki d of surprise me. Good for him.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
I would have bet on Elvis instead of Korpisalo, and Columbus needs to sign some guys long term to stabilize the franchise a bit (similarly the Werenski deal). Good signing.

Mogo

Jun 26, 2002
Among top 10 most paid goalies in league now?

I mean he did promise to win the vezin this year

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Its an important piece locked up for long term. If they were able to do that with some other important pieces would be looking good now but understand their situation. But this is a win for them and if going forward they can get their best players to stay on board they will go in the direction they want.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Seems like an unnecessary risk giving him this kind of money and term.
A bridge deal would have made sense, especially when you consider its going to be very unlikely he puts up great numbers this year and if he does then you pay the man his money.

Reactions: thebus88

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Guys underrated I see. Great young goalie signed for prime years. Low starters money, only seems high compared to his games played.
The general rule of thumb is that anybody who's only ever played for Columbus is inevitably underrated. They become fairly rated (or occasionally overrated) if they started elsewhere or if they ever leave. The sole exception to the rule is Rick Nash, and that was because folks were preemptively anticipating his departure.

I'd gripe about smaller markets not getting proper attention, but frankly given his ludicrous sales jobs it's probably largely Doug MacLean's fault, like so much else.

* * *​
Among top 10 most paid goalies in league now?

I mean he did promise to win the vezin this year
Didn't promise per se, but he did say that's what he was going for.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
The general rule of thumb is that anybody who's only ever played for Columbus is inevitably underrated. They become fairly rated (or occasionally overrated) if they started elsewhere or if they ever leave. The sole exception to the rule is Rick Nash, and that was because folks were preemptively anticipating his departure.

I'd gripe about smaller markets not getting proper attention, but frankly given his ludicrous sales jobs it's probably largely Doug MacLean's fault, like so much else.

* * *​

Didn't promise per se, but he did say that's what he was going for.

Someone just posted that Puljujarvi is an AHL level bust. Lots of posters don't watch the games and play the homer role with their own club. Stat watch without any context. It is what it is.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Someone just posted that Puljujarvi is an AHL level bust. Lots of posters don't watch the games and play the homer role with their own club. Stat watch without any context. It is what it is.
Oy. Yeah, welcome to 2019 and all that. I mean, I haven't watched Puljujarvi in years and certainly don't know how Puljujarvi is doing, but I'm at least aware that there's a consensus he's on an upward swing of late. :)

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Oy. Yeah, welcome to 2019 and all that. I mean, I haven't watched Puljujarvi in years and certainly don't know how Puljujarvi is doing, but I'm at least aware that there's a consensus he's on an upward swing of late. :)

He honestly surprised a lot of us. Hard forecheck, board battled and was a physical presence in front of the net while be solid defensively. Offense wasn't there, maybe in time though. Fingers crossed.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
Yes! And I’m not sure I’d take Gibson, Bennington, Murray or Quick. And Demko, Saros, Howard and Ulmark are all over $5M. I’d agree there’s some risk as the track record lacks lengthy but the term is reasonable the ceiling is high.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Seems like Columbus is really overpaying guys to keep them in the city. After Panarin, Duchene, Bobrovsky, Jones, and Dubois left they needed to reshape their image to players in the league that guys want to play there. This is another case of that to me.

Not really overpayed. You're getting a goalie entering his prime (he's 27). Korpisalo is a UFA and will command top dollar while Merzlikins will provide solid starter goaltending for a bargain price.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Yes! And I’m not sure I’d take Gibson, Bennington, Murray or Quick. And Demko, Saros, Howard and Ulmark are all over $5M. I’d agree there’s some risk as the track record lacks lengthy but the term is reasonable the ceiling is high.
Id agree with most of those names but not Gibson. Give Anaheim a few years or put him on a good team and he'll be back in the discussion for one of the top goalies in the league.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
My thoughts too. Throwing money at anyone willing to stay in Ohio.
Throwing money would be more than an 8% raise over his salary this year. As a pending UFA making $5MM this year he's going to get a raise somewhere and it's a small one from Columbus. He carries a career 920 S% and has shown he can steel games with 7 SO in 61 games. I get he doesn't support the long NHL pedigree yet but this is a reasonable deal both ways

Reactions: LJ7201

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
I mean you make a good call and dodge signing Bobrovsky, and then turn around and do this with a guy who's probably going to split time in net? How do blue jackets fans feel about this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad