Player Discussion: Cayden Lindstrom

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
so when I’ve read about his weaknesses (aside from the back, I’m not going to talk about that) the thing I hear most is hockey IQ and playmaking/passing ability.

Is he capable of improving the hockey IQ with more game time? Even his coach said he didn’t expect to see Lindstrom improve so quickly. Perhaps his passing game could come around too.
Based on what I’ve read, I don’t even think his hockey sense and playmaking are weaknesses. Maybe “relative” weaknesses for him (i.e., not “strengths” of his) but not liabilities either. And as you mentioned, I’d expect those could possibly become strengths with more game time. You can teach/develop that a little. You can’t teach/develop his size/athleticism, and you can only minimally teach/develop his shot/snarl/competitiveness.

I really really think this is a great pick. The back issue is one thing, but just have to trust extreme due diligence was taken in that regard. Beyond that, and beyond the typical “they’re 18 year old lottery tickets” that applies to basically everyone this side of McDavid/Bedard, I’m very excited for Lindstrom.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Silly rule. Not sure Junior will be challenging enough to develop. I might feel differently if he weren't such a mature young man physically and didn't seem so dominant.
Yeah well the Canadian junior leagues want their version of College Football and have that archaic rule to prevent top prospects from jumping ship early not to hurt their product on the ice.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
The best thing about this pick is that because we have Fantilli, Lindstrom doesn’t have to be an elite top line center. What we need from him is to be a high end, hard to play against 2nd line center. If he turns into anything more than that it’s just icing on the cake. Organizational center depth is quickly turning into a strength. Fantilli/Lindstrom/Voronkov as top 9 centers could be a top 3 group in the league.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
In a few years years we could pull the goalie and throw out Fantilli, Lindstrom, KJ, a Russian, Mateychuk/Werenski, and Jiricek. Then we could watch other teams blow leads.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
If healthy and allowable by rule he should be in Cleveland. I'm not sure though, someone knows and will fill us in!

All your answers - but no it will be at least 2 years before he is in either Cleveland or Columbus.

Reactions: Ice9

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods

All your answers - but no it will be at least 2 years before he is in either Cleveland or Columbus.
In most cases probably not a huge deal. In some cases these kids/young men are playing down (somewhat) and may have their development stymied. In the end, I'd rather have them a bit later than way too early!

Youngguns80

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
In most cases probably not a huge deal. In some cases these kids/young men are playing down (somewhat) and may have their development stymied. In the end, I'd rather have them a bit later than way too early!
Agreed but my priority is to make the current team more competitive now. So while great 3 years at least before he makes an impact and I don’t want another 3 seasons of losing.

Reactions: MAHJ71

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Silly rule. Not sure Junior will be challenging enough to develop. I might feel differently if he weren't such a mature young man physically and didn't seem so dominant.
They thought the same for Mateychuk, but I'd say that was a complete success. We need guys to develop and not be put in over their head until truly ready.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
The strategy with Luca Del Bel Belluz in Cleveland was for him to have some healthy scratches since he really needed to build up muscle and needed that type of training program during the season to be able to physically play in the AHL. The AHL tends to most of the schedule games on the weekends, so that seems like time off, but it could be rough for younger guys to play so many back to back games.

The Ducks' strategy with Leo Carlsson to limit the number of games he played may have been the right one since it did prevent him from being banged up and injured by playing so many games against men who are older, bigger and stronger.

Lindstrom is a big kid, but he's still growing. Just as long as he's lifting with correct form to avoid any issues with his back he'll be more physically ready to play if he develops in the WHL.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
The strategy with Luca Del Bel Belluz in Cleveland was for him to have some healthy scratches since he really needed to build up muscle and needed that type of training program during the season to be able to physically play in the AHL. The AHL tends to most of the schedule games on the weekends, so that seems like time off, but it could be rough for younger guys to play so many back to back games.

The Ducks' strategy with Leo Carlsson to limit the number of games he played may have been the right one since it did prevent him from being banged up and injured by playing so many games against men who are older, bigger and stronger.

Lindstrom is a big kid, but he's still growing. Just as long as he's lifting with correct form to avoid any issues with his back he'll be more physically ready to play if he develops in the WHL.
Leo Carlsson missed time from multiple injuries last year? I think what they did was wildly overrated and missing the time he did anyway basically made it completely pointless

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Is he projected to remain in the WHL next season? That would be my guess.

If the CBJ turned down a potential 1OA trade with Chicago they must be very high on the kid AND have little reason to be concerned about long term back issues.

His stock rose greatly this season. I'd think they'd expect him to be a 60-80 points power type forward/center. This team definitely needs an abrasive highly skilled player up front. Fantilli is probably this type but one is not enough. Looks like a "hard to play against" team is the Waddell model based on this pick.

Like any draft pick other than the McDavids of the world, there's a ton of risk in anyone. This guy could be a solid 15 year NHL player borderline All Star or All Star or a "who did they draft in 2024 in the first round" type from what I've read. I don't get Superstar vibes from the info I've seen or the limited video that I've watched. Seems to fit in the "team building" mode and not the highest ceiling player who was available at the 4 spot in the draft.
Mostly agreed but I want it to be on the record that the next person who refers to that Chicago offer as "a potential 1OA" will be set on fire.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Think he's got one more year junior and then he's ready? I know Waddell has said he very much values time in the AHL but I know he won't let Lindstrom stay longer down than he needs to.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Think he's got one more year junior and then he's ready? I know Waddell has said he very much values time in the AHL but I know he won't let Lindstrom stay longer down than he needs to
I don't necessarily disagree, but he did lose a pretty good amount of development time this year. I could see a Monahan 2 year deal to really buy time for him and Fantilli while allowing Boone to move back to wing and support a Fantilli transition to center. I think Lindstrom spends a year in the AHL unless he really blows the doors off

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Youngguns80

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I don't necessarily disagree, but he did lose a pretty good amount of development time this year. I could see a Monahan 2 year deal to really buy time for him and Fantilli while allowing Boone to move back to wing and support a Fantilli transition to center. I think Lindstrom spends a year in the AHL unless he really blows the doors off
As far as I know Lindstrom has 2 years left in juniors unless he makes the big club. Think Mateychuk.

Reactions: CBJx614

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If I understood correctly the post about when a guy can play in the A Lindstrom has 2 more seasons of either the WHL or Columbus as his two options because he won't turn 20 until after the Jan 20 deadline. So will he be in Columbus next season? Highly doubtful imo. If he has a great year next season with MH then I can see him on the CBJ roster in the 25/26 season.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
If I understood correctly the post about when a guy can play in the A Lindstrom has 2 more seasons of either the WHL or Columbus as his two options because he won't turn 20 until after the Jan 20 deadline. So will he be in Columbus next season? Highly doubtful imo. If he has a great year next season with MH then I can see him on the CBJ roster in the 25/26 season.
That's how I see it as well. He's gotta firstly prove that he can play a full season and stay healthy. He's gotta play 1-2 full seasons to get some more experience being the guy his team leans on during those clutch times at the end of the game and playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 7
    Staked: $32,249.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00