GDT: #CauseWinning: Canes @ Rongos Game 2 ("7pm" on ESPN)

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
king-history.png

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I think it was in the 1st period Ray said he heard Rod tell Necas to take his time, or take a little more time (something a long those lines) when Necas was coming back to the bench. This was right after Necas deployed his patented skate from end to end, and make a low danger poor angle shot on goal with no support. Which, to no one's surprise, resulted in a turnover.

Necas did this several more times throughout the game. If I'm a coach that has to be extremely frustrating to watch. He continued to go back with him presumably since he was at least getting Sog.

Last edited:

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
What you haven't considered is that Brent Burns isn't trying his hardest to win a Cup for himself. He's doing it for me specifically, and if I don't show that I will hate him if he fails, he will probably just stop trying.
That's not the intent of my comment, the players themselves have spoken in interviews about how it's a low pressure environment and market.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
All the "Negative Nancy-ism" evaporates when we win convincingly tomorrow night at home.

Start PK. It's his time to shine. Seize the crease young man and don't look back.
Its going to take winning both home games for the criticisms to subside, because we can't go back to MSG down 3-1 in the series, and this fanbase isn't going to take well to being up for elimination in Game 5.

Legend338

Nov 8, 2008
Long time since I threw opinions at a forums wall and I'm sure everyones favorite past time is a new guys thoughts.

I'm beyond disappointed at the 4th line usage, I remember 02 and 06 with those extremely responsible 4th lines that even chipped in some huge goals to the teams success. They ate minutes, they kept the top lines fresh and I'd really like to think Rod would hold those 4th lines in legendary regard.

So do we not have that or does he has trust issues? The top lines were getting gassed towards OT1's end and things just slowly began to derail from there.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Long time since I threw opinions at a forums wall and I'm sure everyones favorite past time is a new guys thoughts.

I'm beyond disappointed at the 4th line usage, I remember 02 and 06 with those extremely responsible 4th lines that even chipped in some huge goals to the teams success. They ate minutes, they kept the top lines fresh and I'd really like to think Rod would hold those 4th lines in legendary regard.

So do we not have that or does he has trust issues? The top lines were getting gassed towards OT1's end and things just slowly began to derail from there.
I think rags top 6 is too much for our 4th line since we aren't home and can't control the line match ups off of faceoffs is exploiting that even more

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

I think it’s hiding them when playing NY. NY’s top line play more than some teams top defensive pairs night in and night out. NY has their top line out, 2nd, 3rd briefly, 1st, 2nd, 4th, repeat. They were playing their bottom 2 lines very little too. So we have to hide the fourth line, especially one we know will struggle to keep pace.

Reactions: Legend338

Zezima

Jul 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
stray thoughts

will be very curious to learn (if we ever do) the reason behind sitting kuzy. if we did sit him for taking one bad penalty then rod needs to be fair and hold everyone accountable to the same standard. we really could've used his creativity on the PP.

one of our strengths is supposed to be depth but not being able to use four lines in OT immediately neutralizes that. having kuzy on the 4th line gives you a viable scoring option. why did comtois play over lemeiux? questions that will never be answered - Adam gold frustratingly said he'd have to ask rod "off the record." the cons of small town media.

going back to the subject of accountability - at the very least svech needs to be moved off the top line. I understand he contributed on one of the guentzel goals but like so many have previously stated that line was BUZZING with jarvis. and svech has become of the most frustratingly undisciplined players (stick penalties) I've seen in recent memory.

fourth game in a row Fred has let in 3+ goals. he's now .899 gaa for the playoffs. definitely not assigning total blame on him but if you're riding a guy like he's your true number one you hope he'd be able to steal a win for you. let's give him a break and let Pyotr in. personally I would've went with Pyotr in game 2 - less pressure - but now we're in the situation of potentially starting him in a game 3 series down 0-2 when he hasn't played in a month.

that wasn't a game Igor stole from us, he let in three goals and was vulnerable for rebounds all night. opportunities were there, the net front presence was not.

my shake sh*t up line combination suggestions -

guentzel-aho-jarvis
necas-drury-noesen
martinook-staal-svech
kotkaniemi-kuznetsov-teravainen

I'd concede to an argument that our 5v5 hasn't been the problem, but at the very least swap jarvis and svech + the PP units.

guentzel-aho-noesen
jarvis-burns

necas-kuznetsov-svechnikov
teravainen-skjei/tda

also - I'd hate to sit tony as he seems to be the only guy who can chirp back at the rangers' troll players but damn does the pk miss brett pesce.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I think it’s hiding them when playing NY. NY’s top line play more than some teams top defensive pairs night in and night out. NY has their top line out, 2nd, 3rd briefly, 1st, 2nd, 4th, repeat. They were playing their bottom 2 lines very little too. So we have to hide the fourth line, especially one we know will struggle to keep pace.
to your point, Rags minutes were more heavily skewed to top line plus defensemen than Canes. In a long series that will eventually hurt them.

We just need to hold serve at home, watch them chew up minutes and hopefully decline by games 6 & 7.

Edit: our pinky negative is that our 4th line barely played and much less than Rangers’ except Rempe.

1715179015013.png

1715179052193.png

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
stray thoughts

will be very curious to learn (if we ever do) the reason behind sitting kuzy. if we did sit him for taking one bad penalty then rod needs to be fair and hold everyone accountable to the same standard. we really could've used his creativity on the PP.

one of our strengths is supposed to be depth but not being able to use four lines in OT immediately neutralizes that. having kuzy on the 4th line gives you a viable scoring option. why did comtois play over lemeiux? questions that will never be answered - Adam gold frustratingly said he'd have to ask rod "off the record." the cons of small town media.

going back to the subject of accountability - at the very least svech needs to be moved off the top line. I understand he contributed on one of the guentzel goals but like so many have previously stated that line was BUZZING with jarvis. and svech has become of the most frustratingly undisciplined players (stick penalties) I've seen in recent memory.

fourth game in a row Fred has let in 3+ goals. he's now .899 gaa for the playoffs. definitely not assigning total blame on him but if you're riding a guy like he's your true number one you hope he'd be able to steal a win for you. let's give him a break and let Pyotr in. personally I would've went with Pyotr in game 2 - less pressure - but now we're in the situation of potentially starting him in a game 3 series down 0-2 when he hasn't played in a month.

that wasn't a game Igor stole from us, he let in three goals and was vulnerable for rebounds all night. opportunities were there, the net front presence was not.

my shake sh*t up line combination suggestions -

guentzel-aho-jarvis
necas-drury-noesen
martinook-staal-svech
kotkaniemi-kuznetsov-teravainen

I'd concede to an argument that our 5v5 hasn't been the problem, but at the very least swap jarvis and svech + the PP units.

guentzel-aho-noesen
jarvis-burns

necas-kuznetsov-svechnikov
teravainen-skjei/tda

also - I'd hate to sit tony as he seems to be the only guy who can chirp back at the rangers' troll players but damn does the pk miss brett pesce.
Kuzy’s problems are a lot deeper than 1 bad penalty.

1. He is a perimeter player
2. His defensive is bad, really bad
3. He doesn’t provide enough scoring to make up for his issues.
4. He is still out of shape
5. He isn’t doing much on the pp out side of 1 super tight window goal game 1.
6. He doesn’t win many puck battles or forecheck.

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
And the Rangers have blown multiple 2-0 series leads in this era (Tampa, New Jersey).

Canes have won 3 games or more at home in a series 6 times under Rod.

Anything is possible. Sucks that we lost last night, big time but all games were close.

Our 5 on 5 play is great. PK and PP sucks. I'm with you all and can't understand how a successful PK and PP dries up in the playoffs.

However, nothing really drastic has happened in this series. The Rangers had home ice and they're up 2-0 by winning their home games. They held serve. That's expected.

Hurricanes need to hold serve on their home ice on Thursday and Saturday.

I kinda remember 2019 when we faced the defending Cup Champion Washington Capitals whom dominated us in the regular season. We were 0-4 vs them in the regular season that year and were down 2-0 in the series vs them after losing the first 2 games on the road (I think both by one goal and one in OT).

We held serve and won our 2 home games and we did not win in their building until game 7.

Rangers though have played us well at PNC. We haven't beaten them in PNC since game 5 in 2022.

That needs to change tomorrow night. I expect the home crowd to be rocking and Carolina will be feeding off the energy.

Sucks we had the lead in the 3rd and then penalties hurt us although several should not have been called. But if you give a team 7 PP's like we gave the Rangers it will hurt us and unfortunately it did.

Bad thing is if we had scored on any of our PP's in OT or in regulation we win game.

But Carolina really needs to crawl back into this because this is a series expected to go at least 6 or so and IMO it would be embarassing if Carolina were to bow out in 4 or 5 games.

And I thought Andersen played really well last night. Was a nice rebound from his game 1 performance. He made the saves he needed too especially a couple in OT from Zibanejad and Lafrienere point blank.

Shesterkin was just better. Unfortunately, he's on a roll right now and we need to find someway to beat him.

But this does not become a series until you lose at home.

Also VGK had a 2-0 lead on Dallas and Dallas won that series in 7. The Rangers had a 2-0 lead on NJ and TB and lost both series.

It's definitely not over (my hope has faded for them though). We can not let them get that 3rd win this weekend.

Yes, teams that go up 2-0 have like an 86% chance of winning the series, but notice it's not 100%...and two years ago we were up 2-0 on the Rangers after winning our first 2 home games...and we all know how that turned out.

The script has been flipped this go around and if that script stays flipped...that means we'll take the series in 7.

Carolina has come back twice from that deficit (2006 and 2019).

I do not know if I would start Pyotr. He'll be cold and if he sucks everyone will be all over him too. Maybe wait and start him in game 4 (if we lose game 3).

On a side note it was great to see Guentzel finally get going.

Win game 3 and we're right back in it.

Reactions: zman77

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Finally got a few replays of Igor going flying for the dive. 1. Igor had his leg out to interfer with Svech, Svech tries to avoid him and clips skate, and Igor embellished the contact.

But doesn't matter, if went 1 for 5 on the PP in each game would be a different series.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Goalie in motion kinda tells the story.

NY moves on the PP. Everyone is in motion, which baits the PK into getting out of position.

When we go stagnant on the PP its because everyone stops moving except for the puck carrier and maybe one other person. Otherwise, its very stationary, which allows the PK to set up and clog up lanes. An the frustrating part about this is that we don't even get this stationary 5v5.

Reactions: Unsustainable

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The thing i noticed about the Rangers PK is that they vary it from shift to shift. Super aggressive sometimes, collapsing sometimes. Maybe that's mindf***ing the powerplay?

Eitherway, they are on the cusp of losing again because the powerplay disappears in the playoffs.

f*** the power play. We play better than the Rangers at 5v5, but when they have one less player, we change everything. Why? Put the regular lines and D-pairs out there on 5v4 and just do Canes' stuff against one less player. That has to be more effective then what we've seen so far.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
f*** the power play. We play better than the Rangers at 5v5, but when they have one less player, we change everything. Why? Put the regular lines and D-pairs out there on 5v4 and just do Canes' stuff against one less player. That has to be more effective then what we've seen so far.
The Canes forecheck wouldn’t be effective if the opponents can just ice the puck at will. Hence why the Islanders ice it 100 times a game against the Canes.

Reactions: geehaad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad