Caufield 16G in his last 18GP

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
1730139126089.png

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
in 2023 when he scored 26 in 46 he had a 16.5% shooting%. You apply that shooting% to his shot volume so far and it would have him on pace for 39 goals over 82 games. Even if he finishes around 20% where other elite shooters are (Matthews, Draisaitl ect) it would still only have him on pace for 47 goals.
He's not sniffing the rocket unless he starts putting the puck on net more.
Who thinks he's going to win the rocket?

Every Habs fan would be extatic with 40 goals, why do your posts sound so negative?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
He started last season hot too. Only 4 goals in first 7 games maybe, but 9 points.

It's a cool streak, but when you break it down over 2 seasons it's more a matter of luck honestly, as it's 2 separate hot streaks.

We'll see what he does. I did predict he'd make a run for 50 goals this year, so I hope it happens - but it's definitely early. I want to see how he looks ~20-30 games in.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Definitely won't keep up that shooting percentage but he is also coming off a career low shooting percentage last year after the shoulder surgery.

I think it will be higher than last year.
Got to acknowledge he shot over 19% in the last 9 games last year.
It looks like it took most of the year for the shoulder to regain its strength

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
The Nick Suzuki effect.

I'm kidding. But not totally kidding, as Suzuki is incredibly underrated and deserves more credit and attention.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Probably goes top 5 in a '19 redraft.
I think he does. Kind of a weak draft so far.

Hughes/Seider/Boldy the clear top 3. Then Caufield. Then you have guys like Zegras, Pinto, Broberg and maybe a few others who have a chance to sneak in the 5th spot. Could be forgetting someone too

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
in 2023 when he scored 26 in 46 he had a 16.5% shooting%. You apply that shooting% to his shot volume so far and it would have him on pace for 39 goals over 82 games. Even if he finishes around 20% where other elite shooters are (Matthews, Draisaitl ect) it would still only have him on pace for 47 goals.
He's not sniffing the rocket unless he starts putting the puck on net more.

Cherrypicker.

He had 314 shots last season and as the Habs premiere sniper, should get just as many, or even more this season as he now seems completely rehabilitated from his surgery and that should boost his confidence. With 314 shots at 16.5%, that's 51.8 goals. If he shoots 18%, which is entirely possible, it's 56.6.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Can we normalize not using different seasons for talking about consecutive games played with a stat? It’s asinine and dumb as shit.

Reactions: dirtydanglez

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Cherrypicker.

He had 314 shots last season and as the Habs premiere sniper, should get just as many, or even more this season as he now seems completely rehabilitated from his surgery and that should boost his confidence. With 314 shots at 16.5%, that's 51.8 goals. If he shoots 18%, which is entirely possible, it's 56.6.
I literally said given his shot volume ATM (would be on pace for 236 shots this season), even if he finishes the year around 20% shooting%, he's not sniffing the rocket unless he starts putting the puck on net more this season.
Where in any of that am I cherry picking?

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I literally said given his shot volume ATM (would be on pace for 236 shots this season), even if he finishes the year around 20% shooting%, he's not sniffing the rocket unless he starts putting the puck on net more this season.
Where in any of that am I cherry picking?
Because you're extrapolating on a very small sample. Caufield is likely to get much more than 236 shots. On the one hand you're talking about normalizing his shot percentage of this small sample, yet you somehow forget that his shot count (low right now) should ALSO normalize close to last year, which is a far bigger sample. 300 shots and 18% are both probable for Caufield.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Because you're extrapolating on a very small sample. Caufield is likely to get much more than 236 shots. On the one hand you're talking about normalizing his shot percentage of this small sample, yet you somehow forget that his shot count (low right now) should ALSO normalize close to last year, which is a far bigger sample. 300 shots and 18% are both probable for Caufield.
did you miss the part where I said unless he starts putting more shots on net? (not saying he won't). He also only paced for 286 shots the season before that. Players shot volumes fluctuate year to year just the same as almost every other stat you can count.
Montreal gets caved in nearly every game so it's not to overly surprising that he hasn't been able to generate that many shots.
His career high is 16.5% so I don't know where the 18% is coming from.

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
did you miss the part where I said unless he starts putting more shots on net? (not saying he won't). He also only paced for 286 shots the season before that. Players shot volumes fluctuate year to year just the same as almost every other stat you can count.
Montreal gets caved in nearly every game so it's not to overly surprising that he hasn't been able to generate that many shots.
His career high is 16.5% so I don't know where the 18% is coming from.
Man, you're a hoot. You make my arguments for me. If he paced 286 shots in 46 games and had 314 in 82 games, do you really think the present 9 game sample is more defining?

Whatever you said doesn't change the fact you framed it as if his shot percentage would normalize, but not his shot count. You ended by saying "He's not sniffing the rocket unless he starts putting the puck on net more." Which clearly shows the bias, because you're fully expecting the shot percentage to go down, but not the shot count to go up. You framed this as if Caufield is 100% guaranteed to have a lower shot percentage, but oh oh oh, boy you'll need to shoot more. No shit sherlock. Just by the same logic that his percentage will go down, his shot count will also go up.

As for the 18%, I used that because he could very much normalize higher than 16.5%, which is a number he had in his sophomore season. He's still evolving as a player. He could very well end the season at 20% for all we know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad