Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
San Diego County
One of these days you need to tell about your nephew the primate.

or maybe just scatter some random facts? Like his/her favorite band or Bruce Willis movie
Guess you didnt see the wink and would have loved to show my nephew a bruce Willis move, but unfortunately he passed when he was nine

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Dude looks like he’s 15 and weighs 120. Zero bicep/tricep. If he makes a glove save his arm will come clean off.

• Wow
Reactions: Surf Nutz

Sybil227

Jun 16, 2004
Santa Clarita
Honestly surprised. I don't see a benefit to doing this now unless there are plans to have him play in the AHL/NHL after his OHL season ends.
Because the contract will slide. The Kings let the deal slide for the next 2 years, avoiding the possibility of AAV on entry-level contracts going up with the cap. While George still gets the signing bonus - money in his pocket. It's a win for both sides.
Entry Level Slides | Puckpedia

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Because the contract will slide. The Kings let the deal slide for the next 2 years, avoiding the possibility of AAV on entry-level contracts going up with the cap. While George still gets the signing bonus - money in his pocket. It's a win for both sides.
Entry Level Slides | Puckpedia
The contract would slide if he signed it next year at this time, too, because he wouldn't turn 20 until 2026.

When a player on an entry-level contract is 18 or 19 years old1, their entry level contract is slide eligible. This means their team may choose to return them to junior and avoid using a year of their contract. In this case the contract slides. The net effect is that the term length of their contract doesn't start. There are still cap implications for each impacted year.

Exception : A player who signs an entry-level contract at age 19, and then turns 20 before Dec 31 of that year is not slide eligible

The benefit is they're high on him, he gets his signing bonus money, and as you said, a potential for him to get games in the A (or the Coast) once his season in the O is done.
I suppose they may want to have more time with him after the season ends. Just surprising they'd do it for an 18 year-old goalie.

I don't even dislike the signing, just curious of what their plans are

Sam

Feb 27, 2002
The contract would slide if he signed it next year at this time, too, because he wouldn't turn 20 until 2026.

I suppose they may want to have more time with him after the season ends. Just surprising they'd do it for an 18 year-old goalie.

I don't even dislike the signing, just curious of what their plans are
The benefit of the sliding contract is that when the contract slides, the signing bonus for the year that slides has already been paid and doesn't slide with it. So the cap hit decreases by that year's signing bonus divided by 3. So if it slides for 1 year, the cap hit decreases by around $30,000. For 2 years, the cap hit decreases by around $60,000. He's a goalie so it's unlikely to matter too much but just an FYI.

Last edited:

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
They really believe in him. I think they must see a lot of Jonathan Quick in him. "poise, reads the play, hits his marks, technically sound...can steal games' And possibly rank him a smidge higher than Slukynsky...and Portillo....or I could be wrong. But to have Slukynsky and the year he just had, then trade to get pick 57 and take George, says an awful lot.

I hope they know this can sour Slukynsky....if not now, then if George is in the AHL in 2 years, or even at the end of this season and gets some AHL games. Slukynsky may feel like he may benefit from 1 year in college and then sign, after this year. (but the Kings probably want him to play 2-3 years at Western Mich) I don't want this to get ugly and see Slukynsky playing 4 years and going free agent...or asking for a trade, in a year or 2. However, teams that have Wallstedt and Askarov, can get a great return, if they dealt them. If, Slukynsky keeps rising,

Kudos to Carter George. King George. I hope he gets to 6'2" 195. No way he looks 190 lbs. I guess I can see if the hockey writers site has his combine height and weight up. Yannetti's deal: pick 21 for 26, 57 and 198 is my favorite 'Blake' deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
They really believe in him. I think they must see a lot of Jonathan Quick in him. "poise, reads the play, hits his marks, technically sound...can steal games' And possibly rank him a smidge higher than Slukynsky...and Portillo....or I could be wrong. But to have Slukynsky and the year he just had, then trade to get pick 57 and take George, says an awful lot.

I hope they know this can sour Slukynsky....if not now, then if George is in the AHL in 2 years, or even at the end of this season and gets some AHL games. Slukynsky may feel like he may benefit from 1 year in college and then sign, after this year. (but the Kings probably want him to play 2-3 years at Western Mich) I don't want this to get ugly and see Slukynsky playing 4 years and going free agent...or asking for a trade, in a year or 2. However, teams that have Wallstedt and Askarov, can get a great return, if they dealt them. If, Slukynsky keeps rising,

Kudos to Carter George. King George. I hope he gets to 6'2" 195. No way he looks 190 lbs. I guess I can see if the hockey writers site has his combine height and weight up. Yannetti's deal: pick 21 for 26, 57 and 198 is my favorite 'Blake' deal.
Having Slukynsky and George is extra insurance in case Portillo implodes (and those who watched him at Michigan know that that is possible). Slukynsky will be a 2-3 year guy at Western Michigan, maybe a year in the A after. George will go back to the O for 2 years, then the A for 1-2 years, and by 2026-27, the net should be solidified with any of the 3 options currently in the pool.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Having Slukynsky and George is extra insurance in case Portillo implodes (and those who watched him at Michigan know that that is possible). Slukynsky will be a 2-3 year guy at Western Michigan, maybe a year in the A after. George will go back to the O for 2 years, then the A for 1-2 years, and by 2026-27, the net should be solidified with any of the 3 options currently in the pool.

Yes. I know it's an unpopular opinion around here but I'm very concerned about Portillo.

Reminds me so much of Anders Lindback. Huge, incredibly athletic dude for his size that SHOULD be dominant but somehow can't play tight and pucks leak right thru his giant ass body all the time.

I'm all for putting Tight Ends in net, and I think his game grew a lot last year, but his major issues are still there.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Portillo is 24 on September 3rd

if we're wondering what Slukynsky or George are going to be in 4-5 or 6 years down the road Portillo will have become whatever it is he'll become by then.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Yes. I know it's an unpopular opinion around here but I'm very concerned about Portillo.

Reminds me so much of Anders Lindback. Huge, incredibly athletic dude for his size that SHOULD be dominant but somehow can't play tight and pucks leak right thru his giant ass body all the time.

I'm all for putting Tight Ends in net, and I think his game grew a lot last year, but his major issues are still there.
Go back and watch the 2023 NCAA National Semifinal between Michigan and Quinnipiac. Portillo let at least 2 laughable goals in that absolutely sunk the Wolverines en route to the loss. Super athletic but reckless at times.

Whereas George stops a ton of shots that he on paper shouldn't, case in point in the 2024 U18 where he saved 2-3 should be slam dunk goals for the States to help keep Canada in it & later win.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
That's pretty much been Portillo in the A as well. Looks good and then will give up a bad angle shot to make it a close game.

I said in another thread, he seems like he has weak core strength, so when he goes into the butterfly, his upper body collapses and opens up holes all over.
It's definitely a concern, but also kind of an easily fixable issue.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Go back and watch the 2023 NCAA National Semifinal between Michigan and Quinnipiac. Portillo let at least 2 laughable goals in that absolutely sunk the Wolverines en route to the loss. Super athletic but reckless at times.

Whereas George stops a ton of shots that he on paper shouldn't, case in point in the 2024 U18 where he saved 2-3 should be slam dunk goals for the States to help keep Canada in it & later win.
Quick let in some awful ones too and was often reckless with his puck handling… to be clear I love the guy and he’d be my goalie of choice in a game to save my life. My point is ALL goalies have their moments and bad games… then they have even worse ones.

Look, I don’t know what Portillo becomes and I think maybe he could be a #1 goalie but more of an average guy, than something special. However, he isnt the guy the guy that played in the NCAA any longer and he had some considerable growth over the course of the season. So there is definitely upside to him. I do however think he has the lowest ceiling of the 3 goaltending prospects, although he has the highest floor. Given the position he plays and that he is still demonstrably developing I’m certainly not writing him off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad