Waived: Carson Meyer waived by the Ducks (cleared)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Im thinking he prob played himself into a legit 1st call up if injuries happen

Maybe but they do still have 3 or 4 forwards to send down, not including Sennecke.

Of the 18F who remain on the camp roster, you have Sennecke who will be back in junior. 13F who I am pretty confident will be on the roster (in the order in which they appear on the updated roster) - Zegras, Fabbri, Strome, Killorn, Terry, Leason, Lundestrom, McTavish, McGinn, Johnston, Gauthier, Vatrano, Carlsson.

That leaves four guys in limbo - Gaucher, Harkins, Nesterenko and Colangelo remain in camp but without a sure path to a roster spot. They either need an injury to occur or need to force the team to either carry 14 F or make a decision on someone like Johnston/McGinn.

But unless they are looking at deeper factors such as maximizing the likelihood of Meyers clearing waivers, him being sent down first is perhaps a sign that they would give NHL looks to the three younger guys above before him.

I did see more from Meyers than Harkins but maybe the latter has shown more in his actual NHL games.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Maybe but they do still have 3 or 4 forwards to send down, not including Sennecke.

Of the 18F who remain on the camp roster, you have Sennecke who will be back in junior. 13F who I am pretty confident will be on the roster (in the order in which they appear on the updated roster) - Zegras, Fabbri, Strome, Killorn, Terry, Leason, Lundestrom, McTavish, McGinn, Johnston, Gauthier, Vatrano, Carlsson.

That leaves four guys in limbo - Gaucher, Harkins, Nesterenko and Colangelo remain in camp but without a sure path to a roster spot. They either need an injury to occur or need to force the team to either carry 14 F or make a decision on someone like Johnston/McGinn.

But unless they are looking at deeper factors such as maximizing the likelihood of Meyers clearing waivers, him being sent down first is perhaps a sign that they would give NHL looks to the three younger guys above before him.

I did see more from Meyers than Harkins but maybe the latter has shown more in his actual NHL games.
Thats fair.

Tho i hope we arnt planning on dressing Johnston dude is complete dog shit.... doesnt bring anything to the team/roster. To me hes a wasted roster spot.

Mcginn... i wonder if maybe we could send him over to Columbus. I know Columbus wants to add a Vet forward... and they also need to add some cap in a reasonable amount of time. That being said i thought he was decent in the games hes played in this preseason.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
johnston and mcginn are both complete wastes of roster space

so naturally, they'll stay up while meyer doesn't

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
johnston and mcginn are both complete wastes of roster space

so naturally, they'll stay up while meyer doesn't
We like pinching pennies even when we are the 2nd lowest in cap. We are like the now defunct Oakland A's, lol. Except we are even too cheap to invest more in analytics like the Canes.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I actually think mcginn could be useful somewhat.

Johnston on the other hand completely useless
I agree, McGinn playing with a f***ed up back last season probably affected him a lot. I have hopes he can hit 10 goals again, I actually think McGinn-Lundestrom-Leason could be a productive 4th line.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I agree, McGinn playing with a f***ed up back last season probably affected him a lot. I have hopes he can hit 10 goals again, I actually think McGinn-Lundestrom-Leason could be a productive 4th line.
Mcginn seems to have a little edge/pest to his game

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
johnston is a piss poor excuse for an "enforcer"
Hes a good fighter, imo.

Problem is hes not "on" 24/7. If you watch a Leafs game, Reaves is 24/7. Hes laying the body, hes talking trash to the other team, hes always trying to fight, hes throwing people out of the crease. Johnston will stick up for a teammate if needed but hes not totally engaged like other enforcers. Hes a good fighter with the playing style of Bo Groulx.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018

Leason, Lundestrom, McGinn, and Johnston should all be in limbo as well.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Hes a good fighter, imo.

Problem is hes not "on" 24/7. If you watch a Leafs game, Reaves is 24/7. Hes laying the body, hes talking trash to the other team, hes always trying to fight, hes throwing people out of the crease. Johnston will stick up for a teammate if needed but hes not totally engaged like other enforcers. Hes a good fighter with the playing style of Bo Groulx.
that's a fair assessment. the problem is that he's not really "enforcing" on most nights and ends up becoming a waste of space

still wish they had kept deslauriers

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Poor Meyer! Even in a thread about him being cut, he can't keep our attention.
I thought he was one of the more effective-looking guys from amongst the roster dregs so I was surprised he was an earlier cut. I’d have kept him over Harkins but Harkins is pretty vanilla, too.

Looking forward to the day where our 4th line options are less who-cares.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I wonder if this was strategic at all. Meyer might have been a more valuable asset but didn't have a great chance to make the team, so he was cut early when he was more likely to slip through waivers. Guys like Johnston and Harkins will clear waivers whenever (if ever) they go down. And perhaps they wanted Meyer as a guy to be a leader down in San Diego for their camp.

I don't know - this is all speculation on my part.

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
I thought he was one of the more effective-looking guys from amongst the roster dregs so I was surprised he was an earlier cut. I’d have kept him over Harkins but Harkins is pretty vanilla, too.

Looking forward to the day where our 4th line options are less who-cares.
I'm not 100% convinced but I'm really starting to think this is a bit of a fallacy that every hockey fan has.

I think the hard cap basically forces every team to ice a 4th line of "who cares" players.

Reactions: Ducks DVM
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I'm not 100% convinced but I'm really starting to think this is a bit of a fallacy that every hockey fan has.

I think the hard cap basically forces every team to ice a 4th line of "who cares" players.
I don’t think the cap does that, but I think a lot of teams manage the cap in such a way that they only have who-cares money left to pay their 4th liners. Might be a semantic difference but I don’t think so. The way to avoid it IMO is to be good at drafting depth players or have a more equitable distribution of money.

At any rate I don’t think any of our current 4th liners would play regular minutes on a good team. Maybe their fans also think that but that might just be a failure of perspective on their part.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
I don’t think the cap does that, but I think a lot of teams manage the cap in such a way that they only have who-cares money left to pay their 4th liners. Might be a semantic difference but I don’t think so. The way to avoid it IMO is to be good at drafting depth players or have a more equitable distribution of money.

At any rate I don’t think any of our current 4th liners would play regular minutes on a good team. Maybe their fans also think that but that might just be a failure of perspective on their part.
I feel like it's a bit of A, a bit of B. Like the Cats had Stenlund on their fourth line and he only had 4 more points than Lundestrom last year despite playing in ~40 more games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad