OT: Cars

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Hey all. Thanks for the responses.

That website I linked to before claims to match paint based on the color code. They sell kits that include pens to small brush bottles to spray cans.

I am most interested in hearing how to sound it down. Can I just use my orbital sander and work my way up in grit rating? I believe the spoiler is bolted on and removable.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

That website I linked to before claims to match paint based on the color code. They sell kits that include pens to small brush bottles to spray cans.

I am most interested in hearing how to sound it down. Can I just use my orbital sander and work my way up in grit rating? I believe the spoiler is bolted on and removable.
As I mentioned earlier some places will say exact match to paint code but thats not always the case. Sometimes touchup even bought at the dealer isn't always an exact match. Whether that is due to metalics, fading, clear coat, application method, etc I can not say.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I have been let down by some rattle can and touchup matches bought in store or online using exact factory paint codes but maybe a shop would be different. His car may have faded a bit. Thats why I put out the option of a paint match. Never heard of SprayMaxx. Thanks for the tip!
Which is why I let him now about the camera matching option from a good local paint supply. However, with the spot in question, any mismatch will be harder to see if they simply use the code. I'm pretty sure they can read the variant on the code..if not, they probably have a book of swatches that they can place next to the car to get the closest match.

As I stated before, it will probably still look a little off due to the pressure of a rattle can being too low as opposed to a spray gun. Metallics & Pearls are very sensitive to air pressure. I've had mismatches using paint from the same can due to inconsistent spray gun settings. This is why I never wanted to paint cars for a living...too many things in & out of your control can go wrong.

What kind of orbital sander do you have? Does it have a velcro face on it?

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Which is why I let him now about the camera matching option from a good local paint supply. However, with the spot in question, any mismatch will be harder to see if they simply use the code. I'm pretty sure they can read the variant on the code..if not, they probably have a book of swatches that they can place next to the car to get the closest match.

As I stated before, it will probably still look a little off due to the pressure of a rattle can being too low as opposed to a spray gun. Metallics & Pearls are very sensitive to air pressure. I've had mismatches using paint from the same can due to inconsistent spray gun settings. This is why I never wanted to paint cars for a living...too many things in & out of your control can go wrong.

What kind of orbital sander do you have? Does it have a velcro face on it?
It does. It’s a pretty standard Bosch from Home Depot. I’m not too concerned about the final product looking great. Just better than it looks now which is a very low bar.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
It does. It’s a pretty standard Bosch from Home Depot. I’m not too concerned about the final product looking great. Just better than it looks now which is a very low bar.
That is a good way to look at it. It wont be perfection but it will be a large improvement. Hope it goes very well 😊

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
If you'd like I can lay out a pretty easy set of instructions of how to prep the area & I'll also make a list of all the supplies you'll need. The most difficult & labor intensive part of this job is the taping & masking of the surrounding areas so you don't cover them all with overspray.

If you are able to remove the spoiler relatively easily, it can save you a good bit of time & work, but there's still some masking that needs to be done.

Reactions: Synergy27

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
If you'd like I can lay out a pretty easy set of instructions of how to prep the area & I'll also make a list of all the supplies you'll need. The most difficult & labor intensive part of this job is the taping & masking of the surrounding areas so you don't cover them all with overspray.

If you are able to remove the spoiler relatively easily, it can save you a good bit of time & work, but there's still some masking that needs to be done.
I plan to try to remove the spoiler this weekend. Happy to receive any advice you have in a DM?

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I know some people said they did not like white cars but this one is nice imo. I just wish it was a red (or tan) interior. ...
I like and drive a white car, but 95% of the cars I see on the road are light or dark. It's so boring. I'm gonna paint my next car and it's either gonna be a bright color or a non-standard color.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I like and drive a white car, but 95% of the cars I see on the road are light or dark. It's so boring. I'm gonna paint my next car and it's either gonna be a bright color or a non-standard color.
You can buy it and paint it purple like my go-kart as a kid 😂

Reactions: Ben Grimm

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Had to order another RF tire. I had no idea how bald both my rear tires got. They almost looked like racing slicks on dragsters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad