Proposal: Carolina - Winnipeg (Aho for Connor)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Connor had a great year no doubt. He really raised his value and is looking like a top 10 pick from the draft. You are really showing your ignorance for the monster season Aho had in Liiga. PPG player as a U19 has not happened in that league in 22 years. On top of that he was the leading scorer on the best team in the league, led the entire league in +/-, had outstanding international tournaments and in Liiga, outperformed top picks Laine and Puljujarvi even though he's only 9-10 months older.

See how easy that is to make a "subjective" statement look like it's so definitive?

Sarcasm aside, do I think Aho's N+1 season was really better than Connors? No, but my point is, comparing 2 guys who play in two different leagues, against two totally different levels of competition, in two totally different situations is difficult at best, downright ridiculous at worst when both players had tremendous seasons. Both were great and trying to definitively say one was so much better than the others is akin to a "my Dad can beat up your Dad" argument.

I have no problem if people rate Connor as a better prospect than Aho, as I'd give him the edge also, mainly because:

1) I like his physical tools (speed, hands, goal scoring ability) better.
2) He's "grown-up" playing on NHL sized ice so less concerns about how his game will adapt.

Very true.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
As a Canes fan and an English major, the more appropriate statement would have been that he's "subjectively" better.

We all like our guys. Conner had an amazing year in the NCAA. Aho had an equally amazing year in the Liiga.

I just don't see a reason to do this trade.

I think Connor has an easier time reaching his potential. He doesn't have to adjust to a new rink or a new culture. He's also ALWAYS been rated as top 10 from that draft. Don't know why he fell like he did. Panthers fans were also talking about how happy they would be to get him at their pick. Aho wasn't rated anywhere near the top 10. I'm not saying that Carolina makes this trade, but those are the reasons why they would.
If they didn't get Teuvo this summer, I'd strongly consider trading Aho for Connor. I also think the Lindholm-Aho-Teravainen line is going to be great this year, so no way you move Aho.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I think both players are great prospects that should have bright futures. Who's is brightest is impossible to tell and predict at this point. This trade is dead on arrival because it does nothing to fix any holes in either team...just a swap of very good forwards.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I think Connor has an easier time reaching his potential. He doesn't have to adjust to a new rink or a new culture. He's also ALWAYS been rated as top 10 from that draft. Don't know why he fell like he did. Panthers fans were also talking about how happy they would be to get him at their pick. Aho wasn't rated anywhere near the top 10. I'm not saying that Carolina makes this trade, but those are the reasons why they would.
If they didn't get Teuvo this summer, I'd strongly consider trading Aho for Connor. I also think the Lindholm-Aho-Teravainen line is going to be great this year, so no way you move Aho.

I hope you're right about the ALT line.

I don't think that where these guys ended up in the draft is particularly useful in determining how good a player they are now. Both are excellent prospects that bring different things to the table.

I agree, that neither GM makes this deal.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Surprised a Jets fan proposed to this to be honest. I think both teams would rather stick with what they got. But value wise isn't Connor still a better prospect? It's not like Aho is the only player in the world that can play with Laine.

Ah from a neutral fan I wouldnt trade Aho for Connon 10 times out of 10.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I'll admit I use the Hockey News Future Watch quite a bit, and it has Connor rated pretty highly (don't have my copy with me so I'm not sure what the number is). I also watch a lot of hockey and listen to radio shows, and I've heard them rave about Connor more so than Aho. I understand none of this is objective, and all heresay, but I think the hockey community generally prefers Connor as a prospect.
That doesn't mean all that much.

Aho is a year younger and outplayed Connor at WHCs and is currently at World Cup.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I don't know how you could possibly say Aho is "objectively better" when Connor just dominated the NCAA as a u19 in a way that hasn't happened in about 25 years.

Except 1 season prior to last?

It's true though, Eichel, Connor and Gaudrea (3rd season) all put up ~equal NCAA numbers, though some haters wanna point out Connor doing it in a weaker division.

Aho looks mighty good, but Connor looks like a better player to me at this point based on those comparables. I wouldn't do this trade personally atm, but I wouldn't hang up on you for offering. We'll have to wait a few years to know how it actually works out.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
I have a bit of a man crush on Aho. Would never do this deal from the Canes side.

Not to say that Connor isn't great as well, I would just want to see how Aho turns out. His development curve since the draft has been insane.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Connor is ahead on Ano in all rankings right?i understand Aho is trending up, so is Connor. It's unfortunate that he is now in a shadow of P. L. But he has progress pretty well.

Jets need left wing anywAys.
Connor and Ehlers can fly and at the same time does ridiculous stuff with the puck in full speed.

I want to see them together , Bryan Little is one of the center that can carry them. but Connor probably starts on the 3rd line with Perrault.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Connor is ahead on Ano in all rankings right?i understand Aho is trending up, so is Connor. It's unfortunate that he is now in a shadow of P. L. But he has progress pretty well.

Jets need left wing anywAys.
Connor and Ehlers can fly and at the same time does ridiculous stuff with the puck in full speed.

I want to see them together , Bryan Little is one of the center that can carry them. but Connor probably starts on the 3rd line with Perrault.

not sure i fully understand what this post is

connor is better

but only a 3rd liner

but also

another two 3rd liners might make him a better third liner?

do i have that down pat?

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
After watching Finland-USA, it would be pretty cool to see Aho and Laine continue their chemistry together in the NHL. I understand that Aho has seen his stock rise and looks like a high quality player. Kyle Connor is our best forward prospect not named Laine. Dude just had a beast season in the NCAA. How close is this trade.

To WPG:
Aho

To CAR:
Connor

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand proceed to tell me how dumb I am. :laugh:

No one should be coming in to tell you how dumb you are. Very good and fair proposal I just feel both teams will stay with what the have.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think this is a reasonable proposal in terms of value, but neither team does it.

Jets fans love Connor.

Canes fans love Aho.

And as a neutral fan I'd take either.

Everyone wins by keeping their guy!

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
not sure i fully understand what this post is

connor is better

but only a 3rd liner

but also

another two 3rd liners might make him a better third liner?

do i have that down pat?

Simple
Connor is best serve to play right away with in the top 6, but he is a lesser pedigre than Laine that is not disrespecting him.
It's not optimal to use 2 rookies and 1 second year player in your top 6.

it only means he probably start in the 3rd line. perrault will anchor the 3rd line C. But he could slot into 1st or 2nd line left wing slot , depending on where PAtrick Laine slots.. (Then stafford gets bump down 3rd line rw)

When I said Connor is better. I'm mentioning he is rank higher than Aho in virtually all of the ranking, that is not a knock on Aho either as he had shot up the rank. The last few months Aho had name recognition also. Finland team was one of the most wAtched team in international play.

Jet line up has many different options now but it will probably start like this

Ehlers Scheifele wheeler
Laine little stafford
Connor Perrault xx

Due to numbers of young players and veterans pushing for the bottom 6 spots

Lowry, Burmistrov, Armia, Dano, Petan, Matthias, tanev, Thorburn , Copp, in some extent Lemiuex also

Connor needs to make sure to have a very good camp to make the team.

Connor being in the 3rd line doesn't make him a bad player, it's just The Jets have a virtual top 6 players lock, with perrault moving up and down the line.

Oh by the why Perrault is a pretty good player if Connor plays with him.

There you go :)

Last edited:

Ksh42

Sep 14, 2016
Winnipeg should have done this at the last draft and then traded Trouba for Edmonton's pick...

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I think that both teams management would prefer to keep their young prospects that they drafted and let them develop... pointless for either team.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I was high on Connor in his draft. Seabass is a special player for the Canes.

It's very close in value. If Peters soured on Aho (which I've never heard anything negative from anyone in the team about him) it would be a good trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad