Proposal: Carolina - Winnipeg (Aho for Connor)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Kyle Connor is still regarded as a top-notch prospect, and has considerably higher value than Aho. I understand Aho's stock has skyrocketed in the last year, but Connor is still regarded as the better player now and in the future. And this is from a fan of neither of these teams.

You won't find much support for that argument. You can just say you don't know a lot about Aho.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I'll admit I use the Hockey News Future Watch quite a bit, and it has Connor rated pretty highly (don't have my copy with me so I'm not sure what the number is). I also watch a lot of hockey and listen to radio shows, and I've heard them rave about Connor more so than Aho. I understand none of this is objective, and all heresay, but I think the hockey community generally prefers Connor as a prospect.

Saw one instance of a rating that had Conner as high as #4 and Aho in the 30s. Not sure how recent that was. Personally I think they both bring a lot to the table and find it nearly impossible to say one is better than the other.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Canes fan. I'd trade Aho for Connor. It'd be close, but I like Kyle Connor a little better. TBH I've watched 0 games Aho has played, just seen highlights. I watched a Minnesota Golden Gophers game last year where they played Michigan. Holy cow. Connor was easily the best player on the ice, just by such a huge degree. Immense offensive skill.

Readytostart

Feb 19, 2016
You won't find much support for that argument. You can just say you don't know a lot about Aho.

I'd say that if I didn't. I follow hockey pretty closely, watch as much as I can. As I stated, I know his last year has been great for him and raised his stock as a prospect considerably, but Kyle Connor is looked at as a higher-ceiling, potentially top-end offensive producer more so than Aho.
As an example, Bleacher Report has Kyle Connor as the 4th best prospect outside the NHL, while having Aho 36th:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2652458-ranking-the-top-50-nhl-prospects/page/28

Of course, TSN has Connor 5th and Aho 7th, so there's variations of opinion, like yours and mine. But generally speaking, I believe Connor is considered the better prospect.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Value for value. Each player could possibly be a fit for the other teams needs as well or possibly better than the original team but like most I think both teams would like to see what they've got first.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Aho is a good prospect no question but I wouldn't trade Connor for him.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I don't know how you could possibly say Aho is "objectively better" when Connor just dominated the NCAA as a u19 in a way that hasn't happened in about 25 years.

many experts feel aho could be as good as laine/puljujarvi....
Aho just put up 45pts in 45 games in a pro league so there is that as well.

nothing wrong with a canes fan liking his guy better

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
many experts feel aho could be as good as laine/puljujarvi....
Aho just put up 45pts in 45 games in a pro league so there is that as well.

nothing wrong with a canes fan liking his guy better

I never said there was. Aho is not 'objectively better'

Connor was thought of more highly up to the draft and had the better draft + 1 year. Aho is a great prospect. I'd rather have Connor

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
If one prospect was "objectively" better than the other, this thread would be closed by now.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Slavin
Aho

For

Trouba
Dano

?

Slavin is Hanifin/Faulk level of untouchable for the Canes.

I have no issue with people thinking Connor is better than Aho. Most lists I've seen have Connor ranked a few spots higher. I don't think the gap is significant, the real debate can be had once they are both in the NHL.

Andreas Ferrari

Dale is the GOAT!!!
Apr 4, 2015
WinnerPeg
So close to me I'd flip a coin and would be happy with the outcome,but otherwise I would pass.

Connor has the potential to be a strong 2nd line center for the Jets or even bump Scheifele down and take over the top line one day.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
The only reason WPG would consider this is because of Laine. If we didn't draft him, I think some Jet's fans opinions would be quite different. Would love to have Aho on the team, just not at the cost of Connor personally.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

Connor was thought of more highly up to the draft and had the better draft + 1 year. Aho is a great prospect. I'd rather have Connor

I disagree.

Aho was the best player in one of the best teams in the FEL, went PPG in the regular season and over PPG in the Playoffs playing against men. He played key role in Finland winning the WJC, and was better than Connor in the WC's, aswell. All that while being over 8 months younger than Kyle Connor.

It's pretty fair value wise, from a neutral fan. Both teams propably prefer their own guy, as they both had incredible draft+1 seasons. Hard to blame them for that.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016

I highly rate Connor as well but there is no way in hell that Connors draft + 1 year was better than Ahos. Not a single change, maybe you should check it out how Aho played.

Aho had very similar season to Laine last year, them having around equal WJC and WHC, Aho being better in regular season and Laine better in playoffs.

Of course you have to remember here that Laine had his draft year and Aho draft +1 but still it was superb season for Aho as well.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I highly rate Connor as well but there is no way in hell that Connors draft + 1 year was better than Ahos. Not a single change, maybe you should check it out how Aho played.

Aho had very similar season to Laine last year, them having around equal WJC and WHC, Aho being better in regular season and Laine better in playoffs.

Of course you have to remember here that Laine had his draft year and Aho draft +1 but still it was superb season for Aho as well.

Aho had a great year no doubt. He really raised his value and is looking like a top 10 pick from the draft. You are really showing your ignorance for the monster season Connor had in the NCAA though. 1.78 PPG from a U19 hasn't happened in the NCAA in about 25 years (since Paul Kariya and MSL were playing in the mid 90's)

Aho had a great draft+1 year. Connors was absolutely elite and he was far and away the best player in his league despite only being 19

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Aho's great but trading prospect for prospect never works out on here. They both had equally outstanding D+1's. We'll both keep ours.

Although Aho and Laine on the same line in the NHL one day would've been great to see. Guess we'll have to enjoy it internationally.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Aho had a great year no doubt. He really raised his value and is looking like a top 10 pick from the draft. You are really showing your ignorance for the monster season Connor had in the NCAA though. 1.78 PPG from a U19 hasn't happened in the NCAA in about 25 years (since Paul Kariya and MSL were playing in the mid 90's)

Connor had a great year no doubt. He really raised his value and is looking like a top 10 pick from the draft. You are really showing your ignorance for the monster season Aho had in Liiga. PPG player as a U19 has not happened in that league in 22 years. On top of that he was the leading scorer on the best team in the league, led the entire league in +/-, had outstanding international tournaments and in Liiga, outperformed top picks Laine and Puljujarvi even though he's only 9-10 months older.

See how easy that is to make a "subjective" statement look like it's so definitive?

Sarcasm aside, do I think Aho's N+1 season was really better than Connors? No, but my point is, comparing 2 guys who play in two different leagues, against two totally different levels of competition, in two totally different situations is difficult at best, downright ridiculous at worst when both players had tremendous seasons. Both were great and trying to definitively say one was so much better than the others is akin to a "my Dad can beat up your Dad" argument.

I have no problem if people rate Connor as a better prospect than Aho, as I'd give him the edge also, mainly because:

1) I like his physical tools (speed, hands, goal scoring ability) better.
2) He's "grown-up" playing on NHL sized ice so less concerns about how his game will adapt.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Think you can make a good argument that Aho is the more proven player right now, he's been super-productive in a big-time professional league AND shined on the world stage. a PPG in the FEL is no small thing, especially not when it comes along with two-way that has people comparing him to Igor Larionov.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I wouldnt trade Aho if I was the Canes. The guy could be the #1C and the team's leading scorer as soon as this year.

The kid makes offense happen!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad