Player Discussion Carlo vs Zboril

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
With what we know now, should these two been flip flopped in the 2015 NHL draft?

Zboril is one year younger , however I'm not sure if he will ever become as "sure" in the defensive end as Carlo.

Zboril does have a higher ceiling on the offensive end. But from what I have seen/read Carlo is at par (skating) or better everywhere else(defensive awareness, IQ). Also Carlo has the size/reach adv as a bonus

Thoughts?

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Carlo skates extremely well for a player his size. Zboril is a sublime skater. They are not equal skaters.

The truth of the matter is draft position really doesn't matter once a guy is in the organization. So not sure what the point is.

Zboril can be a very special player if he reaches his full potential

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Like Comparing a tiger and a leopard - both defenseman but lot of differences

Watched them both live in games at Boston on glass and Zboril was my and my friends focus. We were all impressed.

Zboril was more fluid and a lot smaller

Like children they all develop or learn at their own pace

Zboril had 4 points two nights ago including game winner

Carlo looks pretty projectible whereas Zboril if he hits has higher upside

BluesTraveler

May 25, 2016
Judging literally only on this preseason, but I saw far more potential in Zboril, and thought he looked better than Carlo. Zboril looks like the kind of defender who can change a game and will be a first pairing guy one day. Carlo looked good though. Seems like he has a pretty mistake free game for someone so young. But I'm worried for his future. How disappointed are people gonna be with him when they realize he isn't Zdeno Chara?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I think they'd be switched in a re-draft.

I hope Zboril keeps it up... He had a good development camp and a strong start, but Carlo will be playing in the NHL this year. If not to start, to finish. He's huge, mobile, and aggressive. Different types of players and where they are today doesn't necessarily indicate where they'll be in 6 years, but today I think they get switched.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Let me try to understand this, Bruins re-draft and the 29 other teams are in a virtual world/frozen in space? If not what would HF be like today if Carlo was drafted 13th in 2015?

Nice to see people bending over with nobody asking them to.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Zboril is a nice prospect. But the 'pick' isn't great right now he isn't sealing a Fowler/Trouba trade. But you have to give up a lot of 'assets' to get a talent as good as he should be in a year or two. His career could stall like Morrow if rushed. A keeper. Could be a prospect you want to give more time in the AHL.

Carlo was a great pick. Big and skates well really solid young player/prospect.

We have no shortage of good young D prospects. Guys who don't make it with us could have long careers like Hunwick/M Stuart. We could also have guys like Boychuk who just need more time. We scout really well outside the 1st round the college free agents Sweeney identifies are really good. Him and John Ferguson Jr did a good job of getting a ton of good young talent in the system. Czarnik and Carlo have been the best prospects by some margin this camp.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
With what we know now, should these two been flip flopped in the 2015 NHL draft?

Zboril is one year younger , however I'm not sure if he will ever become as "sure" in the defensive end as Carlo.

Zboril does have a higher ceiling on the offensive end. But from what I have seen/read Carlo is at par (skating) or better everywhere else(defensive awareness, IQ). Also Carlo has the size/reach adv as a bonus

Thoughts?

different players all together. Carlo picked what? 37/38th? Plenty of teams passed on him prior to the B`s snapping him up.

I`m a big fan of Zboril being able to see him quite a bit here in Halifax and have stated openly, more of a fan of his game than Lauzon`s which will attract anger here but whatever. Ironically, I could see Zboril and Carlo actually being a helluva pairing in the future

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

I like both players a lot. But while Zboril has impressed, Carlo has wowed.

I can't believe I was watching a player with basically no pro experience during this preseason. A lot of confidence.

Yes... 1st round talent. We lucked out

Carlo reminds me of Seabrook (minus offensive flare). Under the radar, pretty much mistake free, high iq, body/ stick positioning, use of body/reach to adv, fluid skater

Zboril more like a Kris Letang

Don Sweeney and staff have drafted well (2016 prospects looks good too)

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
2017 - 2018

Chara - McAvoy

Krug - Carlo

O'Gara - K. Miller

C. Miller -Grzelcyk

2018 - 2019

Zboril - McAvoy

Krug - Carlo

O'Gara - Lauzon

Lindgren - Johansson/Grzelcyk

Nice to fantasize, ain't it?

Last edited:

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

Thoughts?

Okay, they should have been switched. Meh...

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
2017 - 2018

Chara - McAvoy

Krug - Carlo

O'Gara - K. Miller

C. Miller -Grzelcyk

2018 - 2019

Zboril - McAvoy

Krug - Carlo

O'Gara - Lauzon

Funny Lou texted me his D and I texted back this morning without looking same 2017 D as you

Some time this year 50% of the Bruins long term projectible D will be playing

2. Krug - Carlo

4. OGara

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
What's the saying? Great minds.........

Maybe you

I'm pretty jacked for game meeting Jess before the game and we are sitting together and will not only watch Carlo and Heinen and Czarnik but Dr Quincy we are going to go over the SIM and do my lineup so no more David Jones on second line or Jonas Hiller in goal ;)

As for the Bruins D looking to getting to a BU game soon to watch McAvoy & JFK. I like it when they play Merrimack or Lowell nice easy ride and plenty of seats

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Maybe you

I'm pretty jacked for game meeting Jess before the game and we are sitting together and will not only watch Carlo and Heinen and Czarnik but Dr Quincy we are going to go over the SIM and do my lineup so no more David Jones on second line or Jonas Hiller in goal ;)

As for the Bruins D looking to getting to a BU game soon to watch McAvoy & JFK. I like it when they play Merrimack or Lowell nice easy ride and plenty of seats

Hey that's great... only 3 years to figure out how to change your lines. My 4th graders would have had it down in 15 minutes.
If you want to meet up for a game at Merrimack let me know.

NinthSpoke06

Nov 30, 2009
Watertown, MA
Who cares?

We should be ecstatic that both are in the organization. Whether they were drafted in the 1st or in the 7th round.

I know Zboril didn't have a great year last year, but man he is fun to watch. And Carlo that dude has won himself an NHL spot at 19 (whether Claude and co. actually give it to him or not is another question). Man exciting stuff! Not to mention Lauzon and McAvoy!

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Does Carlo have Parayko kind of upside? I like what I saw during the pre-season, but I'm not scouting expert.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Hey that's great... only 3 years to figure out how to change your lines. My 4th graders would have had it down in 15 minutes.
If you want to meet up for a game at Merrimack let me know.

That would be awesome I'll look forward to it.

We actually did a lot of talking about the rerates and the SIM tonight and how we were going to take Joe down :laugh:

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I don't think he has the offensive upside of Paryako. But he is still looking to be a real good player on the back end for the Bruins.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
2017 - 2018

Chara - McAvoy

Krug - Carlo

O'Gara - K. Miller

C. Miller -Grzelcyk

2018 - 2019

Zboril - McAvoy

Krug - Carlo

O'Gara - Lauzon

Looks good and do not forget about Arnesson or even Sherman.

A side note not sure about pencilling in Chara next year till we see how he feels about this year. At some point he has to come to terms with the inevitable, going be rough seeing him fade. I hope he is smart about it and does what is right for the team, I feel he will. If he does come back, there is no way he can be on the top pairing. Depends how it goes this year, barring a injury, limit his time, keep off the PP. If he can handle a dimishing role and lesser time, like he did for Europe then its better for him. He has played a lot of hockey for his age and size, that knee has no ligaments in it, its all heart for the big guy.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Looks good and do not forget about Arnesson or even Sherman.

A side note not sure about pencilling in Chara next year till we see how he feels about this year. At some point he has to come to terms with the inevitable, going be rough seeing him fade. I hope he is smart about it and does what is right for the team, I feel he will. If he does come back, there is no way he can be on the top pairing. Depends how it goes this year, barring a injury, limit his time, keep off the PP. If he can handle a dimishing role and lesser time, like he did for Europe then its better for him. He has played a lot of hockey for his age and size, that knee has no ligaments in it, its all heart for the big guy.

Not to get off topic but I'd imagine Chara's future will have a lot to do with the overall performance of the team this year.

If they are out of it by the deadline (I don't think they will but anything can happen), we might see him move on rather than spend a 3rd straight year out of the playoffs. Wouldn't blame him if he did, guys given everything he has to the Bruins and their fans.

If they battle to the end and miss out again, he might call it a day.

But if this team is very good, and I think they have potential to be very good, I can see him wanting to come back next year and finish out the contract and hopefully contend one last time for a cup with all the young (and cheap) talent that should be on this team come April 2018.

Burt Reynolds

Feb 21, 2010
Mansfield, MA

I like both players a lot. But while Zboril has impressed, Carlo has wowed.

I can't believe I was watching a player with basically no pro experience during this preseason. A lot of confidence.

What's wild is that I said the same thing when I saw him in the last playoff game for the PBs last season. He looked like he belonged right away. Jumped right in and just made solid play his standard. Can't wait to see him at the NHL level this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad