Value of: Carey Price at the 2017 Entry Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Oleg Petrov

Jun 15, 2008
Here's the scenario:

-Habs miss the playoffs
-Price stays healthy all year
-Therrien & Bergy are fired
-New GM comes in, but is told by Price that he will not be sticking around for a rebuild and will walk come UFA in 2018. This is important, he's not demanding a trade he's just stating his position so as such it would be in MTL's interest to move him at the draft.

What teams would be interested? What is his value?

I'll start:
Calgary will have Elliott as a UFA and IMO will be really close to contending. Plus Cowboy Price is a natural fit. I bet they would overpay for him.

Here goes:

Jon Gillies
Matthew Tkachuk
Dougie Hamilton

for

Carey Price

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
That upcoming 9+ million contract will be scary as hell. No one's paying Hamiltons and Tkachuks for him without a guaranteed extension in place (which can't be negotiated before July 1st.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
For ONE year of Price? I doubt anybody will play your price (no pun intended) unless an extension is agreed to and that won't be until after the draft (July 1st?). Your proposal is poorly thought out.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Price is the best goalie in the world, he has way more value than that. Two decent prospects and a top four defencemen isn't enough. Calgary would have to add Bennett.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
So his age will be 30, looking to cash in big time on his next/last contract.....you will have a very limited number of interested serious buyers.

Not a chance in hell you get what's posted in the OP.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Have to imagine any deal will have conditional pieces. Blue chip prospect and a conditional pick, plus a roster player?

Price signs extension? 1st round pick
Price doesn't sign extension? 2nd round pick

Oleg Petrov

Jun 15, 2008
I think we have to assume that any Club acquiring Price will have the inside track on an Extension and would likely be given the opportunity to discuss it with the player before the trade.

Oleg Petrov

Jun 15, 2008
So his age will be 30, looking to cash in big time on his next/last contract.....you will have a very limited number of interested serious buyers.

Not a chance in hell you get what's posted in the OP.

Assume he agrees to the Lundqvist contract, with the pieces Calgary already has does it not make a lot of sense for them?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Have to imagine any deal will have conditional pieces. Blue chip prospect and a conditional pick, plus a roster player?

Price signs extension? 1st round pick
Price doesn't sign extension? 2nd round pick

Andersen got a 1st and 2nd, Price gets a 1st+

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Rumour in the summer:

Flames and Bolts had a deal in place for Ben Bishop. Backlund + 2 seconds. But Bishop wanted more money in the contract talks then the Flames were willing to pay.

Don't see why we would pay that much more for Price in a similar scenario (1 year from UFA)

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Rumour in the summer:

Flames and Bolts had a deal in place for Ben Bishop. Backlund + 2 seconds. But Bishop wanted more money in the contract talks then the Flames were willing to pay.

Don't see why we would pay that much more for Price in a similar scenario (1 year from UFA)

Bishop is great, price is better

Oleg Petrov

Jun 15, 2008
Rumour in the summer:

I think if Price was willing to sign something with Calgary that they were willing to accept then the above offer is fair value, agree?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think if Price stays healthy Montreal will be in the playoffs. They have a good enough roster that with Price in there they will go to the playoffs. I don't think they will be trading him. Plus for whatever reason teams don't seem to want to pay a premium price for a goalie these days. Guys like Price, Lundqvist, and Bishop have been so valuable to their respective teams and their success that I find it hard to believe why other teams with similar rosters wouldn't want to give something valuable to be in the same position. Cap space and prospects seem to be of higher value to them.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think if Price was willing to sign something with Calgary that they were willing to accept then the above offer is fair value, agree?

No Flames don't have the kind of depth to part with that many assets. Plus, I'm a huge Jon Gillies fan. I honestly think he's going to be a star goaltender.

Oleg Petrov

Jun 15, 2008
No Flames don't have the kind of depth to part with that many assets. Plus, I'm a huge Jon Gillies fan. I honestly think he's going to be a star goaltender.

Fair enough. I believe that's when their competitive window is going to open and feel that the core below will be among the best in the league:

Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett
Brodie, Giordano
Price

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Oh boy, extension or no extension, I'd say no to the proposal in OP.

Great goalies like Price don't just slow down in their early 30s, he's still in his prime now and will probably be playing great past his mid-30s

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad