Speculation: Carey Price and the Habs to win the Stanley Cup this year if Price wins in Sochi.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Hypothesis:

1. If Carey Price ends up being starting goalie for Canada in the olympics (whether by default, or through Luong's injury, or simply by outplaying him) - which is very likely.

2. If Canada ends up winning Gold Medal in the olympics, with Carey Price at the helm in goal - which again, is very likely Canada being one of the (if not THE) favorite.

3. I believe that Carey Price is the type of Hockey Player, the type of Goalie, who will be able to come back from Sochi on such a high, so as to ride that with absolutely extraordinary play for the habs for the rest of the season, and into the playoffs. Enough so, that I can see him helping the team win the cup.

Thoughts?

I'm not really trying to say the Habs are any kind of favorite cup contender, or even necessaily that Price is the best in the world. I just feel as though, he's the type of player who, should he be victorious in Sochi, would be able to ride that to stellar play for the rest of the year.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
It's possible... just like it's possible for Calgary to make the playoffs. While there can be surprises, the chances are this team won't win the cup even with a superhuman Price. They almost lost to the senators with Carey price playing arguably the best game of his career

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Fantasy writing with the word hypothesis placed in front.

No Cup is possible, gold in Sochi is not likely, and Price even being a starter is 50/50.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It's possible... just like it's possible for Calgary to make the playoffs. While there can be surprises, the chances are this team won't win the cup even with a superhuman Price. They almost lost to the senators with Carey price playing arguably the best game of his career

Of course, anything is possible.

What i'm trying to say though is: I believe that Price is the type of player who, if he wins gold in Sochi as starter, he is the type who will use that as an incredible boost to his confidence and play lights out rest of year.

I don't think that's true of everyone. I don't think if Luongo wins, he similarly benefits, nor Crosby, nor Subban, nor even Tukka Rask in Boston should his country win gold. Not because Price is better than them, I just believe that Price is the type of player whose confidence has had hit roadblocks often in his career, but that such a win can overcome this for him and push him to amazing heights for the 3 or so months left of the year

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Not that we have a good chance to win the Cup, but if Price is hot I think we have a fairly good chance to make it out of the East.

PricePkPatch*

So we compare a team that has Crosby, Stamkos, Kane, Keith to a team with Plekanec, Gionta, Pacioretty and Markov?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
This team is not built for the playoffs. Whether Price leads Canada to Gold or not will not change this.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
If anything, he'll have a major depression the day he comes back seeing what he has in front of him now.....we might actually have a shot at the #1 draft pick if he does win the gold...;)

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Hypothesis:

3. I believe that Carey Price is the type of Hockey Player, the type of Goalie, who will be able to come back from Sochi on such a high, so as to ride that with absolutely extraordinary play for the habs for the rest of the season, and into the playoffs. Enough so, that I can see him helping the team win the cup.

Thoughts?

I see that happening only if he brings over for the rest of his teammates kilos of whatever gave him (& you) that high.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
The team in front of him in Montreal isn't good enough to win a cup, no matter how good Price plays.

Unless he puts up 16 shutouts in the playoffs. Then, yeah, here comes the cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad