OT: Career advice Part II

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So, I didn't get the offer and the role is no longer on the website. So I'm assuming that they gave the offer to someone else. And I have nothing in the pipeline. No idea what to do, I'm not getting interviews.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Any time you're looking to network and email someone it can make your emails sound better. Sometimes I have political debates with it. I just find it fun and fascinating.
I see. I'm pretty fed up with politics and luckily not looking for a job at this time. :)

So, I didn't get the offer and the role is no longer on the website. So I'm assuming that they gave the offer to someone else. And I have nothing in the pipeline. No idea what to do, I'm not getting interviews.

Sorry to hear that. You may be right but sometimes that happens and you may still have a chance. All you can do is make finding your new job, your full time job until you have some luck.

Reactions: LokiDog

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I see. I'm pretty fed up with politics and luckily not looking for a job at this time. :)

Sorry to hear that. You may be right but sometimes that happens and you may still have a chance. All you can do is make finding your new job, your full time job until you have some luck.

The worst paying full time job of all time. The thing is I had very little interest in that particular role and while originally I thought the company was cool I read it went downhill. I just wanted a paycheck and some security.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

bouds

Feb 9, 2009
I'm going to sign up for a Python course. Excited to build this skill, always wanted to learn it.
Which course did you choose? I'm thinking of doing the University of Helisinki one, seems to get good feedback. Just curious which one you were thinking of doing.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The job search process is just brutal.

1) You go through your LinkedIn contacts looking for a company you have interest in.

2) If you have a company you're interested in you go on their site and if it's big enough it's endless scrolling just to see locations you're not interested in or roles you're not interested in.

3) If you're lucky enough to find a passable role you contact some guy you haven't talked to in 10 years.

4) You make awkward small talk about what they've been up to.

5) They refer you and if you're LUCKY you get an interview.

6) You prep for the interview by reading shit you don't want to read.

7) You have the interview and the stress that comes with it.

8) After it's done you feel like you killed it and then an hour later think of all the things you said wrong.

9) Days of torture waiting.

10) Get rejected with no feedback so you don't even know if you did well and there was just a better fit.

f*** this all to hell.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
That doesn't sound fun. It may have been even harder before the internet. People would wait for the daily or Sunday paper for want ads or knock on doors with resumes.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
But it was probably less competitive and people didn't get laid off as often.
Depends on the era. We were near "full employment" not too long ago but the economy has definitely been slowing in the last 1-2 years. I think each eras job market had some pluses and minuses. I hope you find something good soon.

• Love
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Takeahnase

Jun 29, 2024
NLV
The job search process is just brutal.

1) You go through your LinkedIn contacts looking for a company you have interest in.

2) If you have a company you're interested in you go on their site and if it's big enough it's endless scrolling just to see locations you're not interested in or roles you're not interested in.

3) If you're lucky enough to find a passable role you contact some guy you haven't talked to in 10 years.

4) You make awkward small talk about what they've been up to.

5) They refer you and if you're LUCKY you get an interview.

6) You prep for the interview by reading shit you don't want to read.

7) You have the interview and the stress that comes with it.

8) After it's done you feel like you killed it and then an hour later think of all the things you said wrong.

9) Days of torture waiting.

10) Get rejected with no feedback so you don't even know if you did well and there was just a better fit.

f*** this all to hell.
What do you do mate, profession wise?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad