GDT: Car @ Phi

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
Rod has struggled with Dougie’s use from the get go. I’d love to know why that is. If he can score more consistently you’d think there would be no choice but to elevate his usage a bit.

How do I put this nicely....

He's a larger, slightly more physical version of Joe Corvo who's proven so far to be less defensively responsible and have less offensive upside.

So I think that's why he's playing 14 minutes a night

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think offensively Joe Corvo couldn’t carry his jock. If he’s really as bad as you think he is someone really must be fired for trading Hanifin for him.

For the record I mean his usage in terms of the pp. I’m not sure I care if he gets more shifts than others on 5v5. I expect him to be top 4 really. I know that’s not what’s going on right now but I think that has more to do with the Faulk situation more than Dougie’s play.

Stormie

Jan 8, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Rod has struggled with Dougie’s use from the get go. I’d love to know why that is. If he can score more consistently you’d think there would be no choice but to elevate his usage a bit.

Probably due to our lack of a net-front. I'm assuming with the amount of shots he takes from the blue line, he'd be getting some more by with bodies in front.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
728_00_2.jpg

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Hamilton is more Justin Faulk than he is Dustin Byfuglien or Shea Weber with the puck. He's a goal scorer, not a guy with an overpowering shot. Watching his highlights, the bulk of his goals have come from doing what he did tonight: skating into open space and picking corners. He's done his damage from the tops of the circles down.

Carolina spends a lot of time in the offensive zone 5 on 5. In a way that's a negative in that it limits rush chances for; there aren't as many opportunities to jump into the play. It's cycle, point shot and hope for a bounce. The lack of skill up front hurts too. Aho, Svechnikov and Teravainen are the only guys capable of breaking down the defense and creating space for the goal scorers on the blueline in-zone.

Trading Faulk would force Hamilton to the 1st unit, helping his numbers, but the bigger improvement would come with increased developed forward talent.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Canes capitalize with 5-3 win in match up against struggling Flyers

by Matt Karash | Jan 3, 2019 | The Drive Home
Sebastian Aho’s night as an illustration of why the Canes shooting percentage actually might make sense
I thought Aho’s night was a perfect illustration of why the Hurricanes anemic shooting percentage might not just be bad luck. The Hurricanes scored twice on the power play courtesy of heady Aho passes. In both cases, he put pucks in shooters’ wheel houses such that they had a good chunk of empty net to shoot at without the usual garden variety ‘try to beat’ the goalie type of shot. With Aho as the only true playmaker/puck distributor on the team, the Hurricanes just do not get enough of these chances where the goalie has to play one angle only to quickly scramble to try to stop a shot from a different angle.
Illustration aside, both of those passes were the kind that have on the cusp of joining the NHL’s elite players. And as I said in my game preview, a common ingredient in Canes wins is when Aho leads the way offensively.
Gm39 @ Phi: Canes again capitalize with 5-3 win in match up against struggling Flyers | Canes & Coffee

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
In case you were worried that Mr. Azek there is actually holding some huge-bladed knife and skinning someone or something right outside of the picture, fret not: he's merely holding some guy from his toque whilst boogieing with the Leopard Dude.

26d3bf8afb7243fc423170f4b0034318--aztec-empire-black-dogs.jpg

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Hamilton is more Justin Faulk than he is Dustin Byfuglien or Shea Weber with the puck. He's a goal scorer, not a guy with an overpowering shot. Watching his highlights, the bulk of his goals have come from doing what he did tonight: skating into open space and picking corners. He's done his damage from the tops of the circles down.

Carolina spends a lot of time in the offensive zone 5 on 5. In a way that's a negative in that it limits rush chances for; there aren't as many opportunities to jump into the play. It's cycle, point shot and hope for a bounce. The lack of skill up front hurts too. Aho, Svechnikov and Teravainen are the only guys capable of breaking down the defense and creating space for the goal scorers on the blueline in-zone.

Trading Faulk would force Hamilton to the 1st unit, helping his numbers, but the bigger improvement would come with increased developed forward talent.

I was wondering after his goal last night where Dougie normally scored from in the past. He scooted right up into the slot and picked his corner but that area has generally been a no-go zone for Rod.

The majority of Dougie's shots this year have looked to me like the "f*** it" golf-swing variety slapper from the blue line. I haven't been impressed by his shot but maybe he just needs to get a few feet closer?

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Hamilton gettin underrated around here lately. Yeah, he's not very good so far but outside of few games months ago he has been ok on the D. He's not liability at all.
I don't really buy this. If his name were Faulk and we didn't just give up half of our future to get him, more people would be criticizing how much of a non-factor he is most nights, and rightly so. Even if he's not much of a liability, he's far from being some sort of elite asset which is what we traded for him to be.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I don't really buy this. If his name were Faulk and we didn't just give up half of our future to get him, more people would be criticizing how much of a non-factor he is most nights, and rightly so. Even if he's not much of a liability, he's far from being some sort of elite asset which is what we traded for him to be.

He's on the 3rd pair and the 2nd PP unit. How can he be elite from those place? At the very least he is certainly better than Hanifin was last year.

We have heard all year that Hamilton plays better as the season progresses. His Career Splits appear to support that:

MonthGPGAPTSPTS/82
October6811182935.0
November817222929.4
December6910223238.0
January6410304051.3
February6816274351.9
March8612425451.5
April2623515.8
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Career ~35 points D in October-December and Career 51 point D in January-March. Already starting off well with 2 points in January.

Can see the similar split in Pre/Post All Star Game:
ValueGPGAPTSPTS/82
Pre3414510815336.8
Post12123567953.5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Dougie Hamilton Career Splits | Hockey-Reference.com

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
As a consistent Dougie defender, I'm not really sure why anyone is complaining about his 5v5 usage. It's ok to call a spade a spade, you don't have to be some edgy hipster blindly defending the guy.

Reactions: SvechNecas

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
No reason to question Hamilton’s 5v5 usage if you consider Faulk to be the undisputed better D. I consider Hamilton to be a significantly better player so I believe it is fair to question why Hamilton has gotten zero opportunity to play on the 2nd pair next to De Haan 40 games into the year. I don’t think it is a bold statement to say that De Haan is the best support LHD on the team. Hamilton excelled next to Gio who was a similar high-end support. Similar situation to the PP though. Just doesn’t appear to be in the cards.

Reactions: SvechNecas

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
He's on the 3rd pair and the 2nd PP unit. How can he be elite from those place? At the very least he is certainly better than Hanifin was last year.

We have heard all year that Hamilton plays better as the season progresses. His Career Splits appear to support that:

MonthGPGAPTSPTS/82
October6811182935.0
November817222929.4
December6910223238.0
January6410304051.3
February6816274351.9
March8612425451.5
April2623515.8
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Career ~35 points D in October-December and Career 51 point D in January-March. Already starting off well with 2 points in January.

Can see the similar split in Pre/Post All Star Game:
ValueGPGAPTSPTS/82
Pre3414510815336.8
Post12123567953.5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Dougie Hamilton Career Splits | Hockey-Reference.com
Hamilton was on the first pairing for a long time. And when he's on the PP he has boneheaded Faulk-esque turnovers, like where he turned it over twice in 10 seconds last night. He doesn't deserve any more ice time with the way he's playing. It's one of the few things Brindy is getting right with the lineups.

And Hanifin was quite good last year before the All-Star break. Saying Hamilton has been better is revisionist history, and I say that as someone who really laid into Hanifin at times. Both seem to be pretty dumb hockey players, but Hanifin has a better skill set. One of the biggest disappointments is Hamilton's bad skating (looks like he's skating in mud) and his lack of any sort of breakout passing ability.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Hamilton was on the first pairing for a long time. And when he's on the PP he has boneheaded Faulk-esque turnovers, like where he turned it over twice in 10 seconds last night. He doesn't deserve any more ice time with the way he's playing. It's one of the few things Brindy is getting right with the lineups.

And Hanifin was quite good last year before the All-Star break. Saying Hamilton has been better is revisionist history, and I say that as someone who really laid into Hanifin at times. Both seem to be pretty dumb hockey players, but Hanifin has a better skill set. One of the biggest disappointments is Hamilton's bad skating (looks like he's skating in mud) and his lack of any sort of breakout passing ability.

I agree that Hamilton had a chance on the 1st pair and looked bad. Slavin looked equally bad in that pair unfortunately. I don’t think either are bad defensemen, just a poor fit.

For me, in general, when Hamilton makes a bad play it looks like he is committing too hard to the wrong coin flip decision. Like he had two choices, he chose poorly, and had trouble recovering because he overcommits. When Hanifin was here making poor plays it looked like he didn’t even have 2 options in mind to even commit to the wrong one. Just blank.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
When comparing Dougie and Faulk, let's remember what Faulk looked like when paired with TVR or Slavin over the last year or two...bad. So saying Faulk outperforms Dougie defensively this year while playing with de Haan, while Dougie has yet to be given a chance to play with de Haan, is not a fair comparison. Pesce and de Haan are the two best defensemen on this team at making their partners look better. Dougie has not had the opportunity to play with either for any meaningful amount of time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad