Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Jesperi Kotkaniemi signs offersheet with the Hurricanes (1 year, $6.100035M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
As I have said before, money clearly isn't the only problem with Ned, but it was absolutely a factor. They could have went for Andersen because they HAD to because they have no goalie and Hamilton not coming back might have been a factor too since they will have more money now that he isn't back.
Trying to have a discussion with you is pointless. You have a belief and nothing is going to change that. Despite all the holes that are being pointed out in your logic.

If you want to believe that Carolina spent more money on a goalie than the goalie they traded because of “money issues” go ahead.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Watch it be 10 D chess going on, where Bergevin refused to trade the guy, acting like he was untouchable, just to BAIT the canes into doing exactly this. The old and prophetic adage: "Congratulations, you played yourself." If it were any other GM, I'd actually bet on this angle. I feel like this has to help Tarasenko, though. Like, really... you're willing to pay 6 million for this player but not 7.5 for Tarasenko? Come on. There's no way this gets matched, right?
The spin cycle has ramped up impressively over this.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Can’t put Weber on the ltir now. Can’t go over the cap by more than 10%. Matching puts them over by more than 10%. Someone has to move for them to match.
iirc, you can LTIR a player in the offseason but you don't get the full cap hit relief. someone correct me if I'm wrong

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The one-year contract, which Kotkaniemi has signed, pays a salary of $6,100,015 for the 2021-22 season and carries a $20 signing bonus. The Montreal Canadiens have seven days to match the offer. If the Canadiens do not match the offer, they will receive a first-round pick and a third-round pick in the 2022 NHL Draft as compensation from the Hurricanes.

I love it but think that Montreal walks away from this and takes the picks.

Reactions: dukeofjive

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Really where? We get a 1st +3rd rd pick for a 3rd line C and save on paying 6.1 mil or him.
Thank you Car.
Enjoy your potential last 1st and the 3rd. Be sure to come back in 4 years and let us know how that worked our for you.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Matching would have been worst. You pay your 2C 6M for the next two years. And KK was 3C the year before. This year is his first year as 2C on the Habs. Not sure why the Canes do this? About and Trotheck are better than KK now. You get KK to play 3C in Carolina?
since he's only 21, he can play wing with a vet C and grow into it

and sounds like CAR wanted to trade for him anyways, so it's not like it's just pettiness. they seem to genuinely want this player

if he does ok, he can sign an extension that would prolly be more inline with his effectiveness

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I understand the revenge aspect but $6.1 million (and a 1st and a 3rd) for a mediocre bottom six C is pretty bad. I know Montreal’s center depth would be bottom five in the league without Kotkaniemi, but I take the picks if I’m Montreal — they won’t be competitive this year anyway.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
The offersheet for Aho was too low and the Canes matched it. The offersheet for KK was too high and the Habs won't match.

GOZetterberg

Dec 10, 2019
I think we all know how this feud between Bergevin and Waddell is going to end...

Let's settle all of this in a boxing match :laugh:

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Ok this opens the door for other GM’s to offer sheet ! Fitz , do your thing and offer on Pettersson !
I’m kidding , it won’t happen but it should ! This is a prime example of a GM holding a grudge . If the devils or any other team offer sheet Pettersson , I could see VanC returning the favour . Only thing is … Canucks have zero cap moving forward to be able to match a crazy one year contract or offer a crazy contract later on for revenge ? What is the highest offer you can make without having to pay the 3 x 1st round picks

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

kij

Jan 31, 2016
To anyone thinking MTL cannot match because of cap, well if they shift Byron and Weber to LTIR now, as capfriendly has it, then send one of their ELCs to the minors (matching this offer sheet would lead to MTL being over the 10% cushion by ~$300K), they have the room to match. Can Bergevin afford not to match? I don't think so. Giving up the 3OA pick after 3 years for what will likely be a pick in the 20's and a third-rounder is terrible value and Bargainbin needs to do better (develop your draft picks).

Great deal for KK, hope he does get out of MTL after how they have treated many young players (Mete, Romanov, KK) over the past few years. I get wanting to go for it and trusting your vets, but they really don't give a lot of young players room to grow in games unless they are already at a high level. KK (how come we never called him JK, missed opportunities) can get a chance to play up in the lineup and possibly prove us wrong. The guy has some skill but has been buried (not saying it was not justified, just stating the truth).

For Carolina, love the troll, not sure what the significance of a $20 SB is, and if they can get their guy, good on them. In the meantime, CAR can send down a pair of players, say Jake Gardiner and Josh Leivo, and they are under the cap with Brendan Smith serving as their 13F and 7D at the same time. CAR probably tries to trade Gardiner again unless they want to move on from Nino Niederreiter or Trochek. It is a pretty full house over there.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
Lol . Keep telling yourself that . Eventually you might actually believe it . What do the Habs do for C this year ? Magically pull one out of their ass ?
They went to the finals with KK scratched and Evans injured. They lost Danault but they have Poehling coming up from a PPG season in the AHL and pacquette for the 4th line.

Not ideal in the slightest but on the other hand they have great winger depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad