Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Jesperi Kotkaniemi signs offersheet with the Hurricanes (1 year, $6.100035M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Spin it any way you want, but they offered 1.5 million for a Calder finalist who plays a position they needed the most. When the player wanted around double that, they traded him. The fact that they offered 1.5 million says they want him back. It wasn't only a money problem, but money was part of the problem.

Yes, they offered him a contract, and when he asked for more, they traded him. Not because they couldn't afford to pay him more, but because they didn't think he was worth more.

Evidence that they could have paid him more, but chose not to, includes the fact that they signed Andersen at $4.5 million per year, and Raanta at $2.0 million per year. Also, here we are a month later, and the team just signed Kotkaniemi $6.1 million offer sheet.

I'm not sure what part of this you aren't understanding.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It must have been discussed already but...

- With KK's salary, Canes are now over the cap
- With Aho, Trocheck and Staal at C already, one of them will have to go.
- With the contract he just signed, KK is suddenly almost untradeable. The team that owns him will have to sign qualifying offer at $6,1 M every year from now on. Sure, he could fulfill his potential and make it worth the money, but as of right now, his trade value just dropped to almost nothing.
- So if Montreal doesn't match the offer, Canes are stuck with him and need to shed salary, which is not an easy task so late in the summer.
- They might actually have to pay a team to take salary, unless they are willing to give a good player.
- Staal or Trocheck are the most likely candidates to be traded. But I doubt any team are willing to give something to get them and help the Canes.

So...

For the privilege of getting KK on a bad contract, Canes could end up paying up a 1st + a 3rd + Trocheck or Staal + whatever they need to pay to convince a team to take them.

Is this really worth it? They better hope KK becomes a stud!
Theres lots of aging centers there. Maybe the hockey reason for the trade is to have KK be an investment. They could play him on the wing with Staal to learn from him. Maybe they saw that he was still raw in Montreal and figured maybe some time on the wing makes sense

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
It must have been discussed already but...

- With KK's salary, Canes are now over the cap
- With Aho, Trocheck and Staal at C already, one of them will have to go.
- With the contract he just signed, KK is suddenly almost untradeable. The team that owns him will have to sign qualifying offer at $6,1 M every year from now on. Sure, he could fulfill his potential and make it worth the money, but as of right now, his trade value just dropped to almost nothing.
- So if Montreal doesn't match the offer, Canes are stuck with him and need to shed salary, which is not an easy task so late in the summer.
- They might actually have to pay a team to take salary, unless they are willing to give a good player.
- Staal or Trocheck are the most likely candidates to be traded. But I doubt any team are willing to give something to get them and help the Canes.

So...

For the privilege of getting KK on a bad contract, Canes could end up paying up a 1st + a 3rd + Trocheck or Staal + whatever they need to pay to convince a team to take them.

Is this really worth it? They better hope KK becomes a stud!
The Habs will match.

Reactions: The don godfather

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Do we have any confirmation that he can't be traded for 1 year after signing the offer sheet? I went through the CBA and I couldn't find that detail but I do often miss things.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Yes, they offered him a contract, and when he asked for more, they traded him. Not because they couldn't afford to pay him more, but because they didn't think he was worth more.

Evidence that they could have paid him more, but chose not to, includes the fact that they signed Andersen at $4.5 million per year, and Raanta at $2.0 million per year. Also, here we are a month later, and the team just signed Kotkaniemi $6.1 million offer sheet.

I'm not sure what part of this you aren't understanding.

Carolina management clearly didn’t think so. But please explain to me how they saved money by paying Andersen more?

As I have said before, money clearly isn't the only problem with Ned, but it was absolutely a factor. They could have went for Andersen because they HAD to because they have no goalie and Hamilton not coming back might have been a factor too since they will have more money now that he isn't back.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
KK offersheet clearly an overpayment. I wished we would have done the same with Aho. The Habs made it too easy for the Canes to match.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Naw, Weber was a star and franchise icon. KK was a healthy scratch at the end of their playoff run and awful the last 2 years. Let Carolina use the money they didn't give Dougie Hamilton to pay KK to be their 4th line C and take the picks.
if it were the easy, MTL would have accepted it already. just let go a top 5 pick that you've been developing, plays a premium position that you team DESPERATELY needs for a 24ish and 80ish picks?
this seems like quite a log CAR has put them over

SC2GM

May 16, 2016
I feel like the Canes are just justifying why the system is in place and would work -- if there wasn't a gentleman's agreement with all the other clubs to not use it. You can either use a tool or come up with unwritten rules to not use it... But, if your way of getting back at another team is by making them happy... then your logic is probably lacking and you were probably wrong to begin with.

Watch it be 10 D chess going on, where Bergevin refused to trade the guy, acting like he was untouchable, just to BAIT the canes into doing exactly this. The old and prophetic adage: "Congratulations, you played yourself." If it were any other GM, I'd actually bet on this angle. I feel like this has to help Tarasenko, though. Like, really... you're willing to pay 6 million for this player but not 7.5 for Tarasenko? Come on. There's no way this gets matched, right?

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
No one they have space once Weber is on LTIR
Can’t put Weber on the ltir now. Can’t go over the cap by more than 10%. Matching puts them over by more than 10%. Someone has to move for them to match.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
This is a pretty interesting chess move. I'm curious to see how it plays out.

I'm interested in what would be worth more in a package for another center. Kotka, or the 1 and 3 picks

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
if it were the easy, MTL would have accepted it already. just let go a top 5 pick that you've been developing, plays a premium position that you team DESPERATELY needs for a 24ish and 80ish picks?
this seems like quite a log CAR has put them over
Matching would have been worst. You pay your 2C 6M for the next two years. And KK was 3C the year before. This year is his first year as 2C on the Habs. Not sure why the Canes do this? About and Trotheck are better than KK now. You get KK to play 3C in Carolina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad