Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] D Jaccob Slavin signs extension with the Hurricanes (8 years, $6.46125M AAV; begins 2025-26)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
Deal of the summer so far. Slavin obviously committed to helping his team get better by his taking well below market value. Shades of what some of the stars in Boston did during the Bergeron era. Incredible deal for the Canes.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
There is only so much you can pay a guy that puts up 5-6 goals and 35 pts a year

I think this is a pretty fair contract for what he brings
Dude would have gotten 8-9M+ on the open market.

He's an elite shut down defenseman who is also 23rd in 5v5 points among defenseman over the last 3 years, ahead of guys like:
  • Heiskanen
  • Carlson
  • Montour
  • Pietrangelo
  • Pionk
  • Doughty
  • Andersson
  • Seider
  • Gostisbehere
  • Burns
  • Orlov
  • Chabot
  • Matheson
  • Severson
  • Chabot
  • Barrie
  • Jones
  • DeAngelo
His 5v5 p/60 is roughly equivalent to Dahlin. He produces plenty of offense, he just doesn't pile up PP points because that's not his role.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
You do know there's more to being a defenseman than putting up points right?
I sure do.
Dude would have gotten 8-9M+ on the open market.

He's an elite shut down defenseman who is also 23rd in 5v5 points among defenseman over the last 3 years, ahead of guys like:
  • Heiskanen
  • Carlson
  • Montour
  • Pietrangelo
  • Pionk
  • Doughty
  • Andersson
  • Seider
  • Gostisbehere
  • Burns
  • Orlov
  • Chabot
  • Matheson
  • Severson
  • Chabot
  • Barrie
  • Jones
  • DeAngelo
His 5v5 p/60 is roughly equivalent to Dahlin. He produces plenty of offense, he just doesn't pile up PP points because that's not his role.
That’s fine. I understand that’s not his role. But are you really going to pay a guy 9 million a year that can’t qb a powerplay?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
We’re paying him until he’s 39. This doesn’t kick in until after next season when he’s 31. Yes he plays a game that may age well but there’s pretty big risk here too. Defensive dmen don’t get big money even when they’re amazing at it. I don’t see this as the huge discount other people do.

He’s generally worth the risk though.

Ps. Not sure why anyone would think he took a discount on the first one. Francis took heat for signing him for what he got back then. RF took the chance of signing a guy young for bigger money than you thought he’d earned with longer term with the hope it would turn out a bargain as costs went up. Which it did. Teams do this all the time now, but the Slavin and Pesce contracts were both considered surprises and a risk.
He's a two way Dman, not a just a defensive Dman. Guys who score 30+ points are contributing significantly on offense. I'd say he is a top 10 Dmen in the league, top 15 at worst. If i want to protect a lead, or put a guy out to counter a guy like McDavid, Mackinnon, or Kucherov, i am choosing him, not Makar, Josi, or Quinn Hughes.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Congratulations to the Canes.

Fantastic deal and would have obtained approx. $8.5M per with another team. Top 10 DMan signed for likely the remainder of his career. Term might be a two years too long, but likely to reduce the AAV that would have resulted in 6 years @ $8.5M and the same total.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
That’s fine. I understand that’s not his role. But are you really going to pay a guy 9 million a year that can’t qb a powerplay?
Sure, why not? It's much easier to find a dime a dozen PP QB like Gostisbehere or DeAngelo than it is to find a Jaccob Slavin.

And it's not like Slavin can't QB a PP, they just prefer to save him for 5v5 and SH situations. When he did QB the PP more a few years ago, he was top 25 in on ice PP GF/60 among dmen, despite primarily anchoring the 2nd unit.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
So psyched. Slavin is my favorite player. I'm a total homer but he's by far the best defenseman to have ever suited up for the Hurricanes. I can't compare with Mark Howe as that was before my time.

It's a good deal but I don't think you can say a "steal" since it goes until he's 38 (39 if they make the 3rd or 4th round of the playoffs in the 8th year). It's also clear that Slavin wanted a fair deal and COULD have driven a harder bargain if he had wanted. He is by all accounts a chill dude.

zoodani

Oct 9, 2008
I dont believe that anywhere near as many players in the league are taking discounts to stay with their teams...that's a dumb, naive thing fans overblow and make up everytime something that appears team friendly happens, particularly with the earning potential in this sport being so much lower than the other major leagues.

I've never bought into the narrative of Slavin being the most underrated player in the league. I mean, it's clearly either that the league doesn't actually agree with that (hence him being paid like a good #2 defensemen and not a #1), or he/his agent got fleeced. I think it's the former...the league probably just doesn't see him in the same light as fans do, and the league is usually more correct than fans are.
When he signed his last contract, I'm pretty sure I remember he stated that he took a discount to allow more money for the team. He's a very religious and super nice person

• Haha
Reactions: WaW

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
When he signed his last contract, I'm pretty sure I remember he stated that he took a discount to allow more money for the team. He's a very religious and super nice person
Half the players in the league will tell you they're taking discounts. Maybe 1% are talking the truth, if that.

I find the blind idealism around player/team discount hopium in sports to be cringey. He's making as much money as the Canes were willing to pay him, simple as that.

• Haha
Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Half the players in the league will tell you they're taking discounts. Maybe 1% are talking the truth, if that.

I find the blind idealism around player/team discount hopium in sports to be cringey. He's making as much money as the Canes were willing to pay him, simple as that.
I guarantee you that Hurricanes were willing to pay more than 6.5M for Slavin, lol are you serious?

• Haha
Reactions: WaW

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Yes, I'm dead serious about how f***ing silly it is that an absurd number of peope think every player who re-signs with their team is "taking a discount"
1. I'm not a hurricanes fan.
2. You have no idea what you're talking about. Slavin would have gotten a 9M contract as a UFA. The hurricanes just paid Orlov 7M, you don't think they would have given Slavin more if he demanded it?
3. It's very rare for players to take discounts, but Slavin is very clearly an exception.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
2. You have no idea what you're talking about

russell-westbrook-yawn.gif

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad