GDT: Caps vs Kings 7pm Oct 22 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Just got back from the game. 2 point night! I liked the dee changes. Fever and Jensen were playing first pair (started second and third periods). So nice to have Darcy back there.

And I thought it could have easily been tied going into the third. We just couldn’t burry anything or get good enough looks. third period was a lot of fun!

Yes… I stayed for the whole game. Always do! Even if losing.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Happy we won but I sure wish it would come with someone under 30 scoring
:wally:
:scared:
are-you-serious-clark-clark.gif

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Not a great first two periods but nice to see the Caps can have a third period like that.

That 90-92-77 line looked dangerous a lot of the time they were on the ice, which is curious because it’s one of the few top-6 combos I remember not really working during Mojo’s last stint here (hence they usually played with Williams). I think Mojo is a guy who can elevate his and linemates’ play when he’s with skilled goal scorers (guys like Strome, Kuzy, Oshie), but struggles to produce more when playing with two-way guys like Sheary and Eller.

That game makes me think a lineup like this might work well:

Ovi-Strome-Protas/Sheary
Mojo-Kuzy-Oshie
Sheary/Protas-Eller-Mantha
Malenstyn-Dowd-Hathaway

That‘s a pretty impressive forward lineup for a team missing three top-nine (if not top-six) forwards. Good mix of speed, skill, size and defensive prowess on all four lines.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
also... Orlov and Jensen 1) not young 2) not big to rely on it 3) need contracts

Caps can get many problems with D very soon with 3 best D on big long contracts and the wrong side of their career...

so maybe actually getting good top4 LD to play with Carlson and make D better for some period down the road is more critical than F right now

I've seen too few minutes of Caps thus season but by all accounts doesn't look like Ovi will get on fire like last season... that means no 895

also there is still potential he won't play out his contract due to political reasons

time to think about future

no Lavi extension
cut some veterans
trade for solid needed player

actually their move for Brown was kinda the same. a clear short term need and mid term potential. just do the same to help Carlson.

solidGuy-Carlson
Orlov-Jensen
Fever-TVR

have to be solid

cheap Schultz is low maintenance guy but he's placeholder and doesn't move the needle enough

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
I have no doubt that OV will have his occasional sniping two goal games. But I think we all can see father time took a bigger chunk out of him this year. Those vintage Ovi performances look like they will be fewer and farther between. Unless BM can get him dominant play driving linemates, I am starting to have a hard time seeing him break the record.
I agree. That’s why I would be happy if he breaks 800 and passes Howe this season. I am not sure he would enjoy hockey too much down the road when he is an obvious liability to the team.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I haven't seen every second of every game but I'm not impressed with Strome. Any time I see a rush the other way and zero backchecking down the middle I know which line is on the ice.

But wrt the centers in general, Kuzy and Dowd got nuked at the dot last night. Combined 6 wins and 21 losses. Are the Kings that good are are they that bad?

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Couple final thoughts from the first 2 periods....
* In-arena experience was better than in previous years, until late in the 2nd when they seemed to remember to triple amplify every noise. There's a reason that's when I left.
* Interesting that the arena was, at best, only 2/3rds full on a Saturday night. Official attendance figures had it as a sellout, but I'd love to see the actual gate numbers.

* From focused watching on a few players...:
* As others have said, yep, Mojo was looking really good. I think better than I remember seeing him in the past. I might have to withdraw many of my complaints on them signing him this year. He seems to have learned some ideas on what to do with the puck once he gains possession, aside from 'give to Nicky or get pinned against the boards'.
* Mojo and Orlov seem to be the only two guys on the roster capable of carrying the puck up ice 'attacking'. The difference in the team's ability to attack and get setup when those guys had the puck, as opposed to trying to pass into the zone or dump and chase was dramatic.
* The only guys I ever want to see dumping and chasing are the fourth line, as they're seemingly the ones ones who know how to crash and hound and scratch and claw to get possession. Oshie as well, but the rest of his line didn't seem to want to risk chipping a fingernail.
* As I said elsewhere, simple random 'whacks' and redirects of the puck in the general vicinity of the LA net need to die. I don't know if the passes were crap, or players didn't want to bother going out of their way to gain possession cleanly or not, but it was mind numbing just watching chances to control things go away.
* I focused in on Eller for parts of the game, and was pleasantly surprised. He made a lot of smart plays, did some dirty work, seemed to constantly be in the right place at the right time, moved his feet, had an active stick .. in general was doing a lot of the things teams preach. His physical ability may not be what it once was, but the approach was there.
* Wasn't trying to focus on Oshie, but, like Eller and the fourth line, I kept seeing him show up in the play and do something smart, clearly veteran moves.
* OV ... looks old. Not moving his feet much, not driving play at all, any physicality I saw was just a token bump of an opposing player. He was mostly invisible.
* When Kuzy wasn't drawing penalties (ahem, embellishing some), he was damn near invisible.
* Mantha and Protas are BIG together. Too bad neither one looked like they knew how to use their size, nor, frankly, seemed all that skilled.
* Carlson needs to go. He does provide some good, but the negatives far outweigh that. Given his salary and likely 'reputation' around the league, they'd be better off dealing him and using the cap space for guys who'll play a more complete game.
** In the past, I've always appreciated how Carlson would physically move about in the offensive zone to open up additional play possibilities. Last night, I didn't see as much of that. He seemed stagnant, trying for 'cute' plays or just throwing the puck into traffic instead of trying to break down the D's positioning, get them moving.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I have no doubt that OV will have his occasional sniping two goal games. But I think we all can see father time took a bigger chunk out of him this year. Those vintage Ovi performances look like they will be fewer and farther between. Unless BM can get him dominant play driving linemates, I am starting to have a hard time seeing him break the record.
I dont know, I’ve seen Ovi get written off after slow starts and cold spells too many times to count. The season is young and the whole team still isn’t clicking. Let’s give it some time before we start drafting the eulogies of Ovi’s career.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I haven't seen every second of every game but I'm not impressed with Strome. Any time I see a rush the other way and zero backchecking down the middle I know which line is on the ice.

But wrt the centers in general, Kuzy and Dowd got nuked at the dot last night. Combined 6 wins and 21 losses. Are the Kings that good are are they that bad?
Kopitar is among the best and he bullies most players on the dot. Danault and Lizotte are good too.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Funny story from game last night. I walked in through F street entrance around 6:55pm so popped over to the team store to look at jersey’s an there is Ted Leonsis in there getting some gear All by himself. I should have said hi, but i was in a hurry and it just kinda caught me by surprise. You gotta love an owner who is just out enjoying the game, no bodyguards, just A dude. As i type this kinda pissed at myself for not talking to him as I have in the past. Oh well.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Funny story from game last night. I walked in through F street entrance around 6:55pm so popped over to the team store to look at jersey’s an there is Ted Leonsis in there getting some gear All by himself. I should have said hi, but i was in a hurry and it just kinda caught me by surprise. You gotta love an owner who is just out enjoying the game, no bodyguards, just A dude. As i type this kinda pissed at myself for not talking to him as I have in the past. Oh well.
That is pretty cool. I'd like him more if he sat Bmac and the rest of his team execs down and said "Okay what's the plan here? Our team is REALLY old and slow and gets bounced in the 1st round EVERY single year".

I guess when you're a billionaire the priorities are a little different to when you're just a fan. He has obviously made an absolute fortune from the Ovechkin name and is content to squeeze as many more $$$ as he can between now and Ovie's retirement. Winning another Cup is very obviously NOT a priority.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
more shocking he has to pay for team gear lol

I remember meeting Ted at Piney in the Jagr era and he had his lunch in plastic grocey bag from the store down the street.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
That is pretty cool. I'd like him more if he sat Bmac and the rest of his team execs down and said "Okay what's the plan here? Our team is REALLY old and slow and gets bounced in the 1st round EVERY single year".

I guess when you're a billionaire the priorities are a little different to when you're just a fan. He has obviously made an absolute fortune from the Ovechkin name and is content to squeeze as many more $$$ as he can between now and Ovie's retirement. Winning another Cup is very obviously NOT a priority.
He won his cup, he's now going to try and make as much money as he can before buying a baseball team to expand his empire and make more money

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

I'm 100% certain he is very involved in those sort of conversations. He and BMac are on the same page. I'd also bet your whole paycheck that he had that entire conversation with Ovi before signing him to an extension.

The conversation went something like this: "We are always right up at the salary cap so this roster isn't going to change dramatically, but if you (to Ovi) want to stay here, we will put up as competitive a team as we can around you and hope we get a chance at another Cup. We won't rebuild while you're here and we are competitive". And then Ovi signed up for 5 more years. 100% guaranteed that BMac was involved in that conversation too and is in complete alignment.

We can argue about Lavi not playing rookies all we want. But to suggest that Ted doesn't care about winning, only making money, is just absurd. If they rebuild now, they won't win a Cup for 5-6 years at best anyway.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I'm 100% certain he is very involved in those sort of conversations. He and BMac are on the same page. I'd also bet your whole paycheck that he had that entire conversation with Ovi before signing him to an extension.

The conversation went something like this: "We are always right up at the salary cap so this roster isn't going to change dramatically, but if you (to Ovi) want to stay here, we will put up as competitive a team as we can around you and hope we get a chance at another Cup. We won't rebuild while you're here and we are competitive". And then Ovi signed up for 5 more years. 100% guaranteed that BMac was involved in that conversation too and is in complete alignment.

We can argue about Lavi not playing rookies all we want. But to suggest that Ted doesn't care about winning, only making money, is just absurd. If they rebuild now, they won't win a Cup for 5-6 years at best anyway.
You may well be right. I am just speaking out of frustration. Each year this team becomes harder and harder to watch. It is like a slow death by 1000 cuts. (I'm aware nobody is forcing me to watch).

As for the conversation itself - that may well be accurate (since it has been discussed here during the time Ovie signed the extension). It is going to be an ugly few years for Caps fans if that is the case. A different scenario could be a mix of vets and younger players. Injecting some youth (speed / creativity) into the roster would make for a more entertaining on ice product than watching a team spend the next few years skaing in quicksand with the sole pupose of helping Ovie break the goals record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad