Pre-Game Talk: Oilers vs. Canucks - time to make Vancouver rainier than usual

Victor?

• Total voters

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Nashville was the easier opponent to face. That's why this outcome was probably the best. LA was easy enough. If we have an easy path while teams like Vegas, Dallas and Colorado have a war, we may find it hard to match their intensity in time

Vancouver at least has the basic ingredients of a contender. Although I'm not sold on their goalie

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Think we’ve only played them twice, in 1986 and 1992. Oilers won them both.
Just twice huh? That makes sense. I was sure they had played each other but I couldn’t remember either. My memories of those Smythe Division series back then are more of LA or Winnipeg in the first round and Calgary in the second round.

Reactions: bellagiobob

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm probably in the minority but I was hoping for Nashville.

You are not. Vancouver has always been a way tougher matchup for the Oilers even when the Canucks weren't good. The Oilers never seem to play well against those guys so anybody who thinks this will be an easy series is nuts.

I do laugh about the season series sweep argument. The Canucks beat them 3 times when the Oilers were utter trash and once without McDavid which was a tight toss up game. Those games mean nothing now but the Canucks do present matchup problems for the Oilers, as I mentioned before.

Last edited:
Reactions: guymez

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
If Dallas wins tonight, no reason this series can't start on Sunday as the last first round game is tomorrow (Saturday).

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
D1A718C5-FC9E-4D11-9C69-B1E3CE15524F.gif
Gone fishing

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Playoff style hockey should favour the Oilers. Pound away at Hughes, Pettersson and co.

They have few guys nasty enough to respond to the Oilers if you make this enough of a shit show.
Need to pound them for sure. But don’t go out of our way and take dumb penalties doing it. Stay smart and disciplined. Shouldn’t turn this into those clown show barn burners we saw at the beginning of the year.

Reactions: PuckG

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You are not. Vancouver has always been a way tougher matchup for the Oilers even when the Canucks weren't good. The Oilers never seem to play well against those guys so anybody who thinks this will be an easy series is nuts.

I do laugh about the season series sweep argument. The Canucks beat them 3 times when the Oilers were utter trash and once without McDavid which was a tight toss up game. Those games mean nothing now but the Canucks do present matchup problems for the Oilers, as I mentioned before.
My thoughts as well.
I expect Vancouver to be a tougher out than LA.
Wouldnt surprise me to see 2 or 3 overtime games.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Hopefully we're done with the f***ing 9 o clock starts.
Doubt it. We will be the late game every night on the backend of the doubleheader. Maybe 8:20 starts, but that’s likely as good as we get. Maybe on a Saturday if the EC plays an afternoon game we might get a 6PM start.

Reactions: McDoused

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
One thing with Vancouver being our opponent is that I think if we win they would better prepare us for Colorado/Dallas/Vegas than Nashville would.

Another is that I think the league mandate would again give us favorable reffing (similar to us against Calgary).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad