Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread - 2024

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think Leonard was more NHL ready than Smith but a reminder that young guys have a tough time hacking it in the NHL. This nugget was in an article in The Athletic this morning.

Will Smith was a healthy scratch against the Kings on Thursday night and for good reason: He does not look NHL-ready at the moment. The Sharks have done their part to shelter him with the easiest usage on the team, but through six games he has zero points and is sporting one of the lowest xG rates on the team. Some AHL seasoning might be what’s best for San Jose’s prized prospect.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Has anyone been watching Ilya Protas closely? Looks like we just got a steal this past draft...
Prefacing this with I haven't seen him play.. Promising stats, but he's playing with Greentree who is certainly no slouch. That team is relatively stacked across the board. I can't help but think of Burakovsky with McDavid and Suzdalev with Bedard.

Reactions: Kolzilla

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
I think Leonard was more NHL ready than Smith but a reminder that young guys have a tough time hacking it in the NHL. This nugget was in an article in The Athletic this morning.

Will Smith was a healthy scratch against the Kings on Thursday night and for good reason: He does not look NHL-ready at the moment. The Sharks have done their part to shelter him with the easiest usage on the team, but through six games he has zero points and is sporting one of the lowest xG rates on the team. Some AHL seasoning might be what’s best for San Jose’s prized prospect.
Between Leonard's slow start at BC and Smith, I'm wondering if Leonard belongs in the AHL next year.
Prefacing this with I haven't seen him play.. Promising stats, but he's playing with Greentree who is certainly no slouch. That team is relatively stacked across the board. I can't help but think of Burakovsky with McDavid and Suzdalev with Bedard.
Burakovsky would be a great result for younger Protas, but I agree that Suzdalev is the cautionary tale. It's a reminder to be excited but also not to go overboard.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Burakovsky would be a great result for younger Protas, but I agree that Suzdalev is the cautionary tale. It's a reminder to be excited but also not to go overboard.
Oh yeah, definitely no question, that kind of NHL output for a 3rd round pick would be great. And though I sort of implied a different meaning, it wasn't intended.

My post was intended to be more of just a reference to how Junior stats can be inflated by playing with highly skilled linemates, and they can look more skilled than they are. It can be tough to tell if, for example, a guy is a great passer or if his passee just has really high hockey IQ and skill at accepting passes and acting on them.

wickedwitch

Mar 21, 2010
Cam Allen is putting up a nice season. He's leading his team in points... as a defenseman.

(His team is not good at the whole hockey thing. I expect him to get traded to a better team before ~January.)
And never mind.... Luchanko just got sent back to Guelph, so they should get better.

BTW, Leonard's sample size has been 3 games. He's been very good, just snake bitten.

Reactions: usiel

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Cristall already into the top 15 in points(only 5 off the league lead), in half the games played as the other leaders. If he keeps up this PPG rate he'll easily surpass everyone and finish as the scoring leader by a mile.

1729967294249.png

Reactions: crab and Kalopsia

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
Cristall already into the top 15 in points(only 5 off the league lead), in half the games played as the other leaders. If he keeps up this PPG rate he'll easily surpass everyone and finish as the scoring leader by a mile.

View attachment 921906
Meanwhile, Protas is 6th in the OHL in PPG (4th if you don’t count the two guys with 1 GP)

IMG_5616.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad